Gibson Brands Forums

My favorite music store is back in the Gibson dealer camp

SteveT2

This makes me happy. I'm wanting a new P90 equipped Lester. Those aren't in yet but they did have a DC single P90 model. Not a bad guitar but not what I'm looking for either. The neck profile on that was a little on the small side as well. My only reservation is that the Lesters only come in TV Yellow and Goldtop for now. Not exactly my favorite colors

I asked Gibson in an email, their reply was that for now those are the only two options. But maybe later there would be others. There is a 50s Tribute model and a Standard I think it was. Each is it's own color

What about the LP Special Tribute? It's like a Jr, but with two P90s. I'm also flirting with LP with P90s. I'm considering a 2016 Les Paul 60s Tribute (I never understood the naming convention, the 50s came with humbuckers, while the 60s with P90s) or maybe something from the new lineup, but like you, I'm not crazy about Gold Tops.

Normally with the Jr style LP's and SG's, a Special denotes 2 P90's while the Jr model has 1 P90. The original 52 LP's came with P90's until 57 when Gibson introduced the humbucking, but continued to supply both types of pickups on different models...

I personally have come to prefer 2 P90's as they provide a wider range of usable tones and possible hum cancelling, compared to a single P90 that is surprisingly versatile by its self... The basic Jr is a work of art, capitalizing on form function and simplicity..

The original 52 LP's came with P90's until 57 when Gibson introduced the humbucking, but continued to supply both types of pickups on different models...

That’s why I never understood the naming convention of the 2016 Les Paul Tribute. There was a ‘50s Tribute and a ‘60s Tribute. However unlike what most people assume, the ‘50s Tribute came with humbuckers and the ‘60s Tribute came with P90s. I’d think it should be the other way around, like what they did in the current lineup. It is the Standard 50s, not the Standard 60s, that is also available with P90s.

2016 LP ‘50s Tribute T: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-50s-Tribute.aspx

2016 LP ‘60s Tribute T: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-60s-Tribute.aspx

Edited by pauloqs

That's why I never understood the naming convention of the 2016 Les Paul Tribute. There was a '50s Tribute and a '60s Tribute. However unlike what most people assume, the '50s Tribute came with humbuckers and the '60s Tribute came with P90s. I'd think it should be the other way around, like what they did in the current lineup. It is the Standard 50s, not the Standard 60s, that is also available with P90s.

2016 LP '50s Tribute T: http://legacy.gibson...0s-Tribute.aspx

2016 LP '60s Tribute T: http://legacy.gibson...0s-Tribute.aspx

There are other era design characteristics in these guitars to be considered, while technically P90's and Humbucking's were available in the 50's and 60's. The "50's Tribute" has the "Rounded 50s neck profile" (fat neck) and the "60's Tribute" has the "Slim 60s-style neck profile" (slim taper introduced in 61). Also note that the Tributes also have modern weight relief..

So basically the 50's Tribute is a crossbreed of the older 50's LP with a fat neck and newer open coil Humbucking's. Note that the open coil Humbucking's didn't appear until the 70's I think.

While the 60's Tribute is a crossbreed of the 60's LP with the thin neck and the early design P90's...

Combining these options didn't happen in the 50's and 60's.... Note that the rules are not absolute, there are a lot of grey lines being crossed. I think the Tribute is an attempt at making a LP that reflects how they were being mod'd by musicians or filling their wish list....

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

There are other era design characteristics in these guitars to be considered, while technically P90's and Humbucking's were available in the 50's and 60's. The "50's Tribute" has the "Rounded 50s neck profile" (fat neck) and the "60's Tribute" has the "Slim 60s-style neck profile" (slim taper introduced in 61). Also note that the Tributes also have modern weight relief..

So basically the 50's Tribute is a crossbreed of the older 50's LP with a fat neck and newer open coil Humbucking's. Note that the open coil Humbucking's didn't appear until the 70's I think.

While the 60's Tribute is a crossbreed of the 60's LP with the thin neck and the early design P90's...

Combining these options didn't happen in the 50's and 60's.... Note that the rules are not absolute, there are a lot of grey lines being crossed. I think the Tribute is an attempt at making a LP that reflects how they were being mod'd by musicians or filling their wish list....

Oh man, that makes total sense. Thank you for pointing that out. I completely missed the info on neck profile. I've played the 2016 '60s Tribute T, but never the '50s Tribute T. I always incorrectly assumed both had the same neck profiles. With that said, I loved the 2016 '60s Tribute I tried a few years back. It was a fantastic guitar. Granted at the time I was coming from a Gregg Bennett Avion Av3, modded with SDs humbuckers (59s/JB) and was set up extremely well, and the last real Gibson Les Paul I had played until then was in 2007 (I believe it might have been an R9). But from all the ones I LPs I tried that day (Studio, Faded, Classic, Tribute), that 60s Tribute just felt and sounded special.