Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks?

LarryUK

I've seen these locks on eBay and watched them. Then I saw this post and bought them.

I've seen people say they wouldn't trust them but I've thoroughly looked them over and there seems nothing wrong with them.

CjvnOHK.pnghb1Ai9r.jpg

shpGPEe.jpg8QgkdnT.jpg

The cost at £1.50 delivered from China to the UK is unbelievable. How do they do it? They must be Government subsidised.

Rubber 'beer' washers (Fender) are my preferred strap keep but then you cant remove the strap. Not a problem until transporting in a bespoke case. Because they wont fit inside attached. My new Heistercamp strap meant looking for strap locks again.

D'addario said that if you forget your 'lock' strap, the pins would still accept a regular strap. While this is true, the strap with locks attached wont fit other guitar pins, so you are stuck with using it on the same guitar. Neither do they sell separate strap pins for that purpose. I would rather not buy a whole new set just for a coupe of Daddario pins.

Larry, it looks as if your locks are perfectly good. They are likely made of recycled alloys but that is entirely fit for purpose.

yea. isn't the whole point of strap locks to NOT have the guitar knocked off ? I don't get it ...

I'm not trying to be a toad, but to spend a half a euro/dollar to secure a guitar that ya paid a few grand for just sounds irrational.

I have schalers on most, dunlops on one, they normally cost around 20 bucks for the schalers. Money I don't ever mind spending because they never fail.

(you have to make sure they are tight on the strap end, and that the U shape, always uas the rounded edge facing the floor.. Dunlops are basically put em on, and forget about em)

edited to add.

You don't have to doing any sort of acrobatics at all for a guitar to fall off a strap. I've seen happen, especially with a button location like and SG or a sheraton (in the back of the body onthe neck heel)

Watched a band mate adjust a mic stand, and that was all it took. Axe hit the floor and came off the floor with the head stock snapped off. BAM! just like that

If the strap is worn and not tight, it can easily happen while you're just standing there.

Edited by kidblast

...Dunlops are basically put em on, and forget about em)

I use Dunlops on all of my guitars, and a few pairs are 20 odd years old, from guitar to guitar. Every couple years when I go through them all and set them up and stuff, I put a toothpick end dab of white lithium in the two guitar ends, strap 'em up and walk around for a while as I check out my awesome set up that enhances my epic shredding and sonic mayhem. Keeps 'em from getting too scritchy, which they do over time.

rct

I use Dunlops on all of my guitars, and a few pairs are 20 odd years old, from guitar to guitar. Every couple years when I go through them all and set them up and stuff, I put a toothpick end dab of white lithium in the two guitar ends, strap 'em up and walk around for a while as I check out my awesome set up that enhances my epic shredding and sonic mayhem. Keeps 'em from getting too scritchy, which they do over time.

rct

One would think the awesome epic shredding and sonic mayhem would do that? but I guess no? good idea tho, they do may some noise, so don't the schalers.

One would think the awesome epic shredding and sonic mayhem would do that?

I know right? Frightens cats, knocks birds out of the sky, you'd think I could blow out the corrosion with a few thundering titanic electric lead guitar riffs and signature licks.

rct

I know right? Frightens cats, knocks birds out of the sky, you'd think I could blow out the corrosion with a few thundering titanic electric lead guitar riffs and signature licks.

rct

these are the times that try men's souls.. Labor on brutha..

I'm not trying to be a toad, but to spend a half a euro/dollar to secure a guitar that ya paid a few grand for just sounds irrational.

I have schalers on most, dunlops on one, they normally cost around 20 bucks for the schalers. Money I don't ever mind spending because they never fail.

(you have to make sure they are tight on the strap end, and that the U shape, always uas the rounded edge facing the floor.. Dunlops are basically put em on, and forget about em)

Other than cost confidence, is there any practical concern about the OP items? Here are some more cheap locks from trusted brands.

Dunlop

dunlop cheap

StewMac

StewMac cheap

Daddario

Daddario cheap

Schaller

Schaller cheap

Other than cost confidence, is there any practical concern about the OP items? Here are some more cheap locks from trusted brands.

I guess the answer is no, I have no experience or knowledge with these.

I wouldn't use em, for the same reason I wouldn't put a set of 2 dollar strings on my guitar. Cost Confidence is probably it.

I've looked closely at these strap locks and they are ok. Where do you think major makers have their made? I personally have never used a strap lock as they just seem over engineered and have areas that are thin and don't seem safe. I've always used a washer. Over the past year I've been buying various locks to look at and these Dunlop seem the best as you can use any strap etc.  With the metal type, if you have a strap fail during a gig and don't have another strap with those locks fitted you're stuffed. 

It's horses for courses I suppose.  Of course they are all made in China, but like any of the trillions of knock off products coming out o there,  hard to know what you're getting.

The Dunlop pins offer no way to stop the strap from slipping off either,  no flange at all.   Which is the same with Schalers, so you're pretty much stuffed either way.

The washers work great, but you have to keep the strap on,   which is ok if you use nylon (seat belt) straps or very thin straps.  Thicker leather and suede straps (which I like to use) have to be removed most of the time for your guitar to properly  seat  in the case.

As for the ones you bought, yea they are probably fine Larry, maybe it's just me, but I don't know how much faith I'd put in them.  The stuff coming from Asia is a crap shot these days, so I supposed either way....   Just check them from time to time.  The strap side nut can get lose, (lock tight may help?)  and you don't ever want the locking piece on the strap to not have the bottom of it  (the "U") facing the floor.  

22 minutes ago, kidblast said:

...Thicker leather and suede straps (which I like to use) have to be removed most of the time for your guitar to properly  seat  in the case.

I'm one of those tools that keeps nothing in the case but the guitar.  I got some gashes on the back of my #1 because the strap with lock went under the neck and got schlepped around for a few days.  Straps off and in the big bag of gig stuff for me.  I keep the bar in the strat cases.  I don't know why, since I rarely screw it on and wouldn't care if it wasn't there.

rct

8 minutes ago, rct said:

I'm one of those tools that keeps nothing in the case but the guitar.  I got some gashes on the back of my #1 because the strap with lock went under the neck and got schlepped around for a few days.  Straps off and in the big bag of gig stuff for me.  I keep the bar in the strat cases.  I don't know why, since I rarely screw it on and wouldn't care if it wasn't there.

rct

Sort of the same, but I roll the strap up and tuck it in the "box" under the neck,  the truss rod tool keeps it company.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

D'addario clip-ons for me. They work fine for Vs, but didn't really work for my Tribute. I removed the strap pins and found the original screws weren't the same length as the spare Schaller knock-offs I had. The holes are different depths (front/back). I don't gig or tour the Tribute, at least not yet, so...

I've had guitars with pre-installed Dunlop Strap-Loks, and they were brilliant.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, kidblast said:

I guess the answer is no, I have no experience or knowledge with these.

I wouldn't use em, for the same reason I wouldn't put a set of 2 dollar strings on my guitar. Cost Confidence is probably it.

Some Asian entrepreneur will read this, and raise the cost  of his $1 straplocks to $40  [wink]