Gibson Brands Forums

Let us give thanks for Scotland

rct

Liberace was from Wisconsin. he be dead, is isn't his thing..

You be wrong. Liberace is alive and well selling plastic voodoo skulls in New Orleans with Elvis. It's been said that Elvis gets quite pissed at Liberace for calling him George.

My grandfather fought for the Kaiser in WWI. He said that they didn't worry much about the Brits or the Americans but, they knew there would be plenty of dying when they heard the pipes in the distance! At least that's the story in our family. Strangely enough, I am German on one side and Scots-Irish on the other! I personally liked Laphroaig scotch a great deal when I was still drinking. May we all live long and happily and honor the line of our forebears stretching into the dim mists of time!

Edited by G Mac
  • Upvote 1

You be wrong. Liberace is alive and well selling plastic voodoo skulls in New Orleans with Elvis. It's been said that Elvis gets quite pissed at Liberace for calling him George.

Yup. Spotted em a while back not far off Guam.

I'd've said they seemed happy enough.

Yup. Spotted em a while back not far off Guam.

I'd've said they seemed happy enough.

My hat is off to you for the double contraction. I wish I'd've done that.

rct

Without whom there would be no Scotch.

Without whom there would be no Rob Roy.

And we wouldn't have Michael Symon's Angeline version, Rob Roy In Turin, a delightfully Italian take on the old cocktail.

mmmm...a smokey glass of warm mmmmmm....

rct

Here, here. msp_thumbup.gif

I was not a Scotch fan until about 10 years ago when the keyboard player got me into it. Now I love some smokey, peaty Laphroaig.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:00 PM, merciful-evans said:

Really, I think Scottish artists are 2nd to no one.

a few examples to make the point:

John Martyn

Ian Anderson

Maggie Bell (& Stone The Crows)

Jack Bruce

Bert Jansch

Mark Knopfler / Dave Knopfler (Dire Straits)

Lets not forget The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and Dirty Tricks, a band that never got anywhere but produced a couple of great albums, look them up on YouTube.

One of my favourite places in Scotland Auchindoun Castle.

DoCYCm4.jpg

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

... or Scotch Eggs with Branston pickle. 

Scotch eggs are making a comeback with supermarkets in the UK offering deluxe hand-made etc versions; the egg is the same but the jacket is more substantial and herby/spicy/meaty.

Double the price but very tasty. 

Let's hear it for Jim Mullen, Scottish guitarist; the late Bobby Wellins, Scottish saxophonist;  James (Jimmy) Dewar, Scottish bass player and singer for Stone The Crows and then Robin Trower.

Stone the Crows - excellent Scottish band, early 70s, with singer Maggie Bell and guitarist Les Harvey - brother of Alex Harvey. 

There are loads more Scottish musicians of note.........

🌃🌌

18 hours ago, Pinch said:

I'm hoping to go back to Edinburgh for a visit in a year or two. Had a brilliant time the first visit.

Just back an hour ago (we took the Caledonian Sleeper for the Euston / Waverley/Euston round trip) from spending a week in the 'Athens of the North'.  It was much as ever it was. Which is to say simply superb...

Pip.

8 hours ago, Versatile said:

Haggis...…..[blink]

V

:-({|=

...is delicious! I know there's a rumour that a main ingredient is  "sheep's stomach" but that's utter nonsense. No part of a sheep's stomach gets eaten. Ever.

As far as Deep Fried Mars Bar is concerned then, certainly, one particular chippie (The Mermaid comes to mind?) must plead Guilty as Charged for having created the abomination and they should certainly have suffered the most severe consequences as a result...

Pip.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, Mr. Natural said:

Since we're toasting Scotland... I think I'll pour me a little of The Macallan.

,,, and I think I'll have a  bit of The Macallan tonight, too.  I also like Belhaven Ale and Newcastle Ale, but I've heard that Newcastle is no longer brewed in Scotland.

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, pippy said:

Just back an hour ago (we took the Caledonian Sleeper for the Euston / Waverley/Euston round trip) from spending a week in the 'Athens of the North'.  It was much as ever it was. Which is to say simply superb...

Pip.

Awesome. I liked it a lot.

One funny thing I noticed, though: my English is... I get by, put it that way.

But  trying to decipher really drunk Scots... Can't be done.

55 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Awesome. I liked it a lot......but  trying to decipher really drunk Scots... Can't be done.

Glad you liked the place, Pinch; it really is a wonderful place to live.  I was fortunate enough to spend six years there as a student and I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather have lived whilst studying.

As far as the Scots' accent goes;

When we were up north my 14-y-o daughter and her similarly aged best friend frequently needed some translation when addressed by 'the locals'......

I hail from a town exactly half-way between Edinburgh (on the east coast) and Glasgow (on the west coast).  The typical Edinburgh accent is very straightforward (for a Scot!) to understand - all things considered it's actually quite a posh town - but there are parts of Glasgow - less than 25 miles form my hometown - where the local 'twang' is so pronounced that I could not comprehend a single word anyone said.

Curiously (perhaps), a while ago, in a UK-wide poll the place where the English language was named to be the clearest-spoken and with the least trace of a local accent was Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.

Pip.

3 minutes ago, pippy said:

Glad you liked the place, Pinch; it really is a wonderful place to live.  I was fortunate enough to spend six years there as a student and I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather have lived whilst studying.

As far as the Scots' accent goes;

When we were up north my 14-y-o daughter and her similarly aged best friend frequently needed some translation when addressed by 'the locals'......

I hail from a town exactly half-way between Edinburgh (on the east coast) and Glasgow (on the west coast).  The typical Edinburgh accent is very straightforward (for a Scot!) to understand - all things considered it's actually quite a posh town - but there are parts of Glasgow - less than 25 miles form my hometown - where the local 'twang' is so pronounced that I could not comprehend a single word anyone said.

Curiously (perhaps), a while ago, in a UK-wide poll the place where the English language was named to be the clearest-spoken and with the least trace of a local accent was Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.

Pip.

Don't get me wrong, mate, it's a lovely accent! It is, in fact, my favourite accent of all.

These blokes were quite, quite drunk though!

2 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Don't get me wrong, mate, it's a lovely accent! It is, in fact, my favourite accent of all.

These blokes were quite, quite drunk though!

[laugh]

Oh, I didn't suspect you were having a go in the slightest, Pinch, but thanks for thinking about clarifying the issue.   Yes, drunken Scots have their own language - much of it of the 'sign' variety!

Pip.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever...….[blink]

Glasgow was a renowned  inhospitable and disease ridden place to live until the late 1850's

Then, thanks to the Victorian era of  'clean water provision'

Loch Katrine was  dammed and became the source of clean water for Glasgow, allowing it to thrive and become a major world city......

Set in the beautiful Trossachs area only a stone's throw from Glasgow and Loch Lomond...

V

:-({|=