Gibson Brands Forums

New 2019 J45, Fretboard Questions, Build Question

James45

Hello Gibson Board,

I'm excited to announce I bought a new inbox 2019 J45 standard. Like many of you, it is my favorite acoustic. However, after playing a few, i've come to realize some build quality issues unfortunately exists. Upon receiving, I noticed a few fretboard dents (chips?), namely on the 5th.

I wanted to gather feedback from some recent or older J45 owners to know how their fretboards came when brand new. On the registration inspection card, everything is checked off as passed (including the fretboard)

The thing is, while this is disappointing, the action and intonation are GREAT, and there is no fret buzzing. What would you do in my situation?

Cheers

IMG_4575_zpscztozvwv.jpg

IMG_4574_zpsrcum67fn.jpg

IMG_4574_zpsrcum67fn.jpg

IMG_4576_zpskmya0oqy.jpg

IMG_4576_zpskmya0oqy.jpg

Edited by ksdaddy
fixed photos

The new ones are always the favorite aren't they. Never owned even close to a new J45 but I agree with the above. I think he is talking about the pores. That would be perfectly natural and nothing to get upset about.

Edited by zombywoof

Could it be the natural open pores of rosewood that you are seeing? Rosewood is not as smooth as ebony.

Well, not as nice as the rosewood selection that used to be available for making fretboards… some of it was so dense, it almost seem to have a marbled appearance.

Yes, more pores showing- when rosewood is used on the backs of guitars, it requires a filler/sealer to reduce the amount that the finish sinks into the grain.

Glad to hear all else is good with your new J-45- they’re the best. enjoy, and welcome.

Well, not as nice as the rosewood selection that used to be available for making fretboards… some of it was so dense, it almost seem to have a marbled appearance.

Yes, more pores showing- when rosewood is used on the backs of guitars, it requires a filler/sealer to reduce the amount that the finish sinks into the grain.

Glad to hear all else is good with your new J-45- they’re the best. enjoy, and welcome.

Ah sure nothings what it used to be

I've a 2005 j45 and it has pores , and i dont care

😮😮

Are we not all meant to wash our hands , wear long sleeved shirts and wipe down the guitar after every time we take them out of their case ??

I have one guitar that is like that. Which is why I never play it.

Last time I tried to clean my Telecaster it didn't play right for two months. Shock to the system. Kinda like when the Ewell family showed up in the courtroom scrubbed clean (To Kill a Mockingbird).

• Upvote 1

Well that is rosewood for ya. There is nothing unusual about what you are showing us.

You would need to find something with an ebony fretboard, to not have pours in the surface like rosewood would have. (T-T-T-Taylor for example..)

Basically, there nothing to see here folks, carry on and play long.

Are we not all meant to wash our hands , wear long sleeved shirts and wipe down the guitar after every time we take them out of their case ??

Haven't you seen the new guitar-gloves - work like an ultra thin skin-coating.

Some forget to take them off, which causes very weird scenes here and there. 'Nough said. .

I had to read though everyone else's comments to even get a clue of what the OP is talking about. Calling those "dents" and "chips" is a stretch IMO. Looks fine to me. Enjoy your new guitar! The last time I bought a new Gibson was 1974. [biggrin]

James - Don't know what guitars you've been playing, but if you've come from a world of lesser expensive Martins with Richlite fingerboards, they will show no pores at all.

If you've been playing more expensive Martins, Taylors, or Larrivees with ebony fingerboards, they will have very few pores of any significant depth.

And finally, if you've been playing older vintage pieces with Brazilian rosewood fingerboards, they will typically exhibit fewer pores, and their depth will be rather minimal by comparison to the East Indian rosewood board on your new J-45.

I, like everyone above, do not see anything unusual in the pictures - Enjoy your new guitar!

Everyone, I appreciate the kind words and totally understand why everyone is thinking I was referring to the rosewood pours. There is more of a nick closer towards the fret on the 5th, that doesn't show up well on the photobucket hosted images. I'll see if I can get a better picture. Does anyone have a suggestion for image hosting? I could not get Flickr to work.