Gibson Brands Forums

A GUITAR thread by Neo - under rated players

NeoConMan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Arlen Roth and Danny Gatton throw down some mean *** telecaster blues this afternoon on Masters of the Telecaster. Goodness Danny could play. His fingers were so fat it looked like on finger tip could easily cover three strings. Huge sausages for fingers.

It's too bad he and Roy Buchanan are no longer with us.

+1's for Mike Cambell

Don Felder

and Neil Giraldo Saw him and Pat live at the Pacific Amphitheater las summer. He's way heavier live, and more leads, too.

Joe Walsh

Billy Gibbons

Buddy Whittington (John Mayalls current guitarist)

Lita Ford (if you go deeper that Kiss Me Deadly)

Al Pitrelli

Paul Barres, Freddy Tacket, Lowel George (maybe I shoulda mentioned these guys first)

And Leslie West

Definitely Martin Barre of Jethro Tull

Another one that I feel is underrated as a guitar player would be Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. Their playing gets buried in all the mainstream bullcrap that is modern country music

3...2....1...start flaming.....

Now

Definitely Martin Barre of Jethro Tull

Another one that I feel is underrated as a guitar player would be Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. Their playing gets buried in all the mainstream bullcrap that is modern country music

3...2....1...start flaming.....

Now

No, you are correct son. Paisley and Urban are both awesome guitar pickers and really need to be seen live to appreciate.

I've been gone, Neo. Here's a few.

Owen Malone

John Prine

John Lennon

Clarence White

Les Paul

Norman Blake

Pops Stoneman

Glen Campbell

Roy Clarke

Well, just in this forum.

We all knew it, eh?

Murph.

I agree with you in every way but one, Neo. That would be Paul Stanley. Okay, maybe he did write a lot of the riffs, but I saw them back in the late 80s and early 90s about a dozen times, and he hardly ever played the guitar. He danced around with it, pouting his lips. Now, I do admit you can hear him play on the recordings.

I always wanted to see him PLAY, not PRANCE.

I saw White Lion open for AC/DC in 1988.

The only thing that kept me from walking out until Angus & Malcomb came on was Vito's playing.

I still thought they were way too cute for heterosexual men to be watching....

I have to agree about Pat Benatar's hubby, Neil Giraldo. Killer stuff.

Mick Jones of Foreigner did some good rock n roll, but was most known for ballads.

Scott Gorham is a great catch.

Ron Wood is terribly overshadowed by Keef, most kids don't even know he was in a band before the Stones.

Flame the country cats all you want, those old guys were the Yngvie/Hendrix/EVH of their day.

Many of them are STILL untouchable.

Murph,

I'm afraid I'm gonna piss you off, but Lennon never did much for me.

He was talented, tortured, prolific, and partly responsible for Rock n Roll as we know it.

As a guitar player?

Zzzzz........

He did much better collaborating with other musicians, on his own/with Yoko he wasn't exactly a guitar prodigy.

Sorry man!

:-)

I saw White Lion open for AC/DC in 1988.

The only thing that kept me from walking out until Angus & Malcomb came on was Vito's playing.

I still thought they were way too cute for heterosexual men to be watching....

I have to agree about Pat Benatar's hubby' date=' Neil Giraldo. Killer stuff.

Mick Jones of Foreigner did some good rock n roll, but was most known for ballads.

Scott Gorham is a great catch.

Ron Wood is terribly overshadowed by Keef, most kids don't even know he was in a band before the Stones.

Flame the country cats all you want, those old guys were the Yngvie/Hendrix/EVH of their day.

Many of them are STILL untouchable.

Murph,

I'm afraid I'm gonna piss you off, but Lennon never did much for me.

He was talented, tortured, prolific, and partly responsible for Rock n Roll as we know it.

As a guitar player?

Zzzzz........

He did much better collaborating with other musicians, on his own/with Yoko he wasn't exactly a guitar prodigy.

Sorry man!

:-)

[/quote']

He was a rhythm player.

Period.

Sorry you didn't get that.

Great bands need great rhythm players, esp, back then.

Murph.

He was a rhythm player.

Period.

Sorry you didn't get that.

Great bands need great rhythm players' date=' esp, back then.

Murph.[/quote']

You're absolutely right.

I'm more of a rhythm player myself, love the riffs over the leads.

Let the other guy show off....

• 3 weeks later...

1st let me apologize for the length of this, but I wanted to include comments that covered all Frank's live stuff.

Califoniaman got me thinking about it (so blame him LOL). I have included album / CD sleeves pictures as I have found a few places on line that are selling the goods but don't have the pictures.

I'm not sure if Frank Marino should be classed as an underrated player, maybe more the unsung hero, that Gibson started looking for back in 2006, there again maybe both these titles include him!!!!

Californiaman wrote:..............

And one more: Frank Marino. That guy is the epitome of a Les Paul wielding guitar god. Don't believe me. Just put on Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live. His versions of Johnny B. Good, Purple Haze, and King Bee are way cool guitar treats.

found on this Album (vinyl) (1978).

LIVE.jpg

ORIGINAL COVER (CBS Label)

FMMRLiveFCover.jpg

Collectors Choice Cover (CD - Digitally Mastered Analogue Recording)

the live tracks he mentions here are from the 1st live album.

If you haven't heard Frank since then try giving his second live album a listen "Double Live", DOUBLELIVE.jpg

named "Double Live" (1988) as it was originally a double album on vinyl, I mention this as I have seen some people disappointed because they have bought the CD and thought they were ripped off as there was only one CD. The only covers on this album / CD are Roadhouse Blues & Who Do Ya Love.

Frank has "recently" remastered this (2005) and included a bonus track called "Something's Coming Our Way" and the cover looks like this.

DOUBLELIVER-M.jpg

If you want to be more up to date, get "Real Live" (2004) his last released CD.

REALLIVE.jpg and listen to Frank's version of Voodoo Chile.

If you have heard Frank live, you will know that he puts his all into his music, and it sounds as good as, or better, than his studio albums.

Two other albums /CDs have live stuff on, one was Tales Of The Unexpected (1979) TALESOFTHEUNEXPECTED.jpg (on vinyl) side 1 was studio and side 2 was live, on the CD the tracks 1 -4 were side 1, tracks 5 -8 were side 2.

Recently I found a copy of "What's Next" (1980) WHATSNEXT.jpg originally on vinyl, on then to CD by Black Rose label, so far most people that have had the Black Rose version have said it is crap, but the version I am talking about is by Rock Fever Music, which also includes 5 live bonus tracks. Apart from the difference in music quality RFM have stuck more closely to the album sleeve with the white lettering, the BR version I have, has green lettering.

Some of you have probably got bored by this, but for those of you who haven't, I hope that it has given you some useful information!

Last and by no means least,

Murph wrote: He was a rhythm player. Period. Sorry you didn't get that. Great bands need great rhythm players, esp, back then.

Murph.

Sorry Murph, I don't agree entirely with this statement, Mahogany Rush were a 3 piece band when they stared, no rhythmn player, and they were great (still are), Jimi Hendrix originally started as a three piece band as well, ZZ Top... well I won't go on, I'm sure you get my drift!

Archived