Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird Mini-humbucker question

Jeff E

Hi..new owner of a sweet 2003 Firebird V. Haven't pulled it all apart...yet....but it seems that the bridge pu flops around a bit, especially at the treble side. The pu was set very high and I lowered it just a bit. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a spring or somthing in there to keep it from flopping around....

thanks

Jeff E

Yes, there should definitely be springs in there, the pickup shouldn't flop around or be able to vibrate around. Sometimes you need to double up springs, add spacers, or something similar depending on the application. The lead pickup on my '06 Firebird V was originally a little loose and I cut spacers and screwed it down tight. Good luck, Jake

it seems that the bridge pu flops around a bit' date=' especially at the treble side. The pu was set very high and I lowered it just a bit. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a spring or somthing in there to keep it from flopping around....[/quote']

The springs are already in there, they just don't do much.

I just fixed that very same problem on my LP Deluxe with mini humbuckers.

The issue is that there's only the springs holding tension to keep the pickup height set.

Nothing actually keeps it from flopping around.

Bridge is the worst because it's higher - there's less spring tension.

I have some fairly stiff weatherstripping made of dense foam, I cut pieces long enough to fill the pickup cavity.

Put the p/u back in and set height - you're rocking....

Hard to explain, but you'll see the cause when you pull it out.

The plastic pickup surround (from the underside) looks like a sardine can.

The only part that protrudes down into the pickup cavity is the rim or perimeter - right against the wood sides of the pocket.

It makes contact with nothing, so it can easily flop.

Simple fix, getting the springs back on the screws is the only burden.

If you're lucky - when it pops off it will hit you on the cornea instead of flying unseen across the room.

:-)

Archived