Gibson Brands Forums

Rediscovering Gibson Masterbuilt Strings...

Murph

I've been mostly using the Masterbuilt 80/20's (12's) on my J-15 since buying it new. I've used Elixirs on the J-45 for many years.

I'm quite impressed with these strings and will probably try them on the J-45 in the near future. I wonder if they've changed, or it's simply the years? I have gotten thicker with my picks in the last few years and am using mostly Bluechip and Wegens.

I tend to keep going home to elixirs too (nano pbs, mostly)  it's what I'm used to and they last a good long while. 

But I do also like Masterbuilts.  I tend to lean toward the PBs myself.  I have been considering running another course of MBs on my next string changes

I too like the Gibson strings on my J45's. I have used D'Addario for years on my other Gibsons but they just don't sound right to me on the J45's.  Interesting tho is I like the PB's on the rosewood custom and 80/20's on the other. 

Gibson Masterbuilts 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze work both for me - changing between both types, mostly using 80/20 on all guitars with mahogany back and sides and Phosphor Bronze on maple versions. D´Addario work also, even Martin Lifespan, the Gibsons don´t throw them off. Coated strings make not much sence for me as I have very dry hands and I have to change the un-corroded coated strings as they show mechanical fatique or dents at the fret positions. So they will not stay 3x longer and the guitar which would compensate the higher price.

• 1 month later...

Digging up this few month old thread to post that I put a set of Masterbuilt 80/20's on my Dove and really like the sound. The only real reason I tried them was that my acoustic stash of strings was dry except for several sets of the Masterbuilts. I'm gonna leave them on for a while and see how they settle in. First impression is very positive.

Edited by Joe M