Gibson Brands Forums

Action Set-up Specs

D-Comp

Because of physical issues with my hands that are probably due to advancing age, I play more comfortably with the action set on the low side with custom light 11 strings.  I have put the 11's on my J-45 Studio and it has really helped me and the guitar still sounds great.  I am considering tweaking the action a bit lower but I don't want to create the dreaded buzzing when strummed aggressively that I have experienced with some of my other guitars (not Gibson's).   Anyone had any experience with set-ups  with 11's?   My string height at the 12th fret is between 6/64 and 7/64 for E, and 3/32 for e.  Thanks for any input, 

My preferred action is 2.00mm/1.75mm (to give you a point of reference in inches, 5/64"=1.9844mm and 4.5/64"=1.78605mm). But that is for 12s, so that may not help much.
But I'm betting you could go a little lower than what you have now if you're not a banger strummer.
cleardot.gif
Edited by bayoubengal1954

20 hours ago, D-Comp said:

Because of physical issues with my hands that are probably due to advancing age, I play more comfortably with the action set on the low side with custom light 11 strings.  I have put the 11's on my J-45 Studio and it has really helped me and the guitar still sounds great.  I am considering tweaking the action a bit lower but I don't want to create the dreaded buzzing when strummed aggressively that I have experienced with some of my other guitars (not Gibson's).   Anyone had any experience with set-ups  with 11's?   My string height at the 12th fret is between 6/64 and 7/64 for E, and 3/32 for e.  Thanks for any input, 

I find your action at the 12th fret rather high.

With 12's on my J-180, I'm having .050 on the treble and .080 on the bass side. The neck is almost perfectly straight. Needless to say, she plays insanely well and easy.

With custom 11's you could  safely go lower than that.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

I use the same gage.

I set at the 12th .060"E to .040"e

Neck relief .000"-.005"

I do setups for friends. The biggest improvement I make for them is the nut slots.  At the 1st .022"E dropping .002" per string to .012"e

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.  My goal in the past has been 5/64 E and 1/16th e.   I "think" the conversions would be about 0.08 E and 0.06 e.  I will get a local shop to do the  1st. set-up

and I would expect them to ask me what my preferred target is.  Your input has helped, thanks again