Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Mustang Martigan

Gibson LP Studio vs Epiphone LP

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Mustang Martigan said:

Which models are the C shaped? The other guy said the 50s are similar to the Fender Modern C, which is the opposite of what I've heard. You mention the C n 50 separately, so you must feel otherwise, ya? I was under the impression that the 60s are a C, or the closest Gibson to one, but I'm definitely not too knowledgeable on the topic.

And yes, I would love a 335, but they're outta my price range.

The C, Rounded  and 50's generally indicate a beefier neck and they may use any of these or all three in descriptions on the same neck. Confusing? YES... but while these necks may be a little thicker the exact shape may be unique to that specific Gibson model..

On the 330 and 335 main differences are pickups but more important is how far the fingerboard goes into the body. Some of the high frets on the 330 are almost unreachable where the 335 has almost unrestricted access al the way to fret 22.. These are critical things to consider on any archtop... Note  most of these have slimtaper necks but the Epi's are well within your price range....

Epi Archtops...........

ES335PRO_Thumb.jpgJoeBonamassa355_Thumb.jpgRivieraCustP93RR_Thumb.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Black Dog said:

 

 

Quote

 

 

I don't want to sound sacrilegious, but I have a '17 Gibson LP Tribute T that I put a set of SD Antiquities in with CTS pots and bumble bee PIO caps.  Now, that thing doesn't feel or play like my historics at all.   And it certainly doesn't look as good.  But, when it comes to sound I have to say it really sounds great.  I dare say you may not be able to tell the difference listening to them.  You could easily have something like that for less than $1300.

cji8sV1.jpg

do you have a video or sound clip of it after you put the SD antiquities? very intrested to hear, i was thinking of changing the pick ups on mine (same model) i like the ones it came with but they sound muddy and lack clarity, i think that guitar would sound great with another pick ups, it resonates so well

Edited by FemmeParallell
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

 

do you have a video or sound clip of it after you put the SD antiquities? very intrested to hear, i was thinking of changing the pick ups on mine (same model) i like the ones it came with but they sound muddy and lack clarity, i think that guitar would sound great with another pick ups, it resonates so well

 

I haven't done any recording, but I have been thinking about getting into it.  There are lots of good demos on YouTube though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 7:59 PM, american cheez said:

 

dude - do you realize that guitar is defective? it was made backwards

It's a common defect.  I've got several Gibsons with the same defect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few bits of advice, based upon many years of owning, gigging, buying, and selling guitars:

* If you are going to drop $1,000 to $1,300 on a Les Paul, do yourself a favor and get out there and play EVERYTHING. 
If you take your time, you will find one that sings to you, and that grabs your heartstrings. 

* I am a fan of going for the genuine Gibson when I'm ponying-up that kind of money. 
Better resale value, and the brand reputation means something to other gigging musicians. 
But that's just me. 

* If I find a non-Gibson in a pawnshop, and I think it's kind of cool, yes, I will pay $200 for it. 
Just last week I bought an early 1970's Kent copy of a Les Paul. 
I paid $180 for it, and it's a really, really cool lawsuit guitar. 

* Our opinions here are just that. Opinions. 
It's unlikely that you will find any definitive, "from the burning bush", blinding flashes of enlightenment and wisdom. 
But as you filter out the wheat from the chaff, you'll discover that you got the advice you wished to hear. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
:(
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I have a few bits of advice, based upon many years of owning, gigging, buying, and selling guitars:

* If you are going to drop $1,000 to $1,300 on a Les Paul, do yourself a favor and get out there and play EVERYTHING. 
If you take your time, you will find one that sings to you, and that grabs your heartstrings. 

* I am a fan of going for the genuine Gibson when I'm ponying-up that kind of money. 
Better resale value, and the brand reputation means something to other gigging musicians. 
But that's just me. 

 

And me too, on both counts. OP, sounds like you have way to much experience to expect anything new out of your"Gibson LP Studio vs Epiphone LP" question.  It will always be answered by those on both sides.   Far too many of both to generalize, and the only one that matters is the one you get.  If you are lucky it will grab your heartstrings.    If you add perseverance to the luck, it will grab your, well, you'll find out.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, Black Dog said:

 

I haven't done any recording, but I have been thinking about getting into it.  There are lots of good demos on YouTube though.

 

if you ever do so please share it! i was thinking about it if its worth spending $300 or so doing it, and i have to pay someone to do it i dont know how to do that stuff hehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Epi PlusTop Pro and a Gibby Tribute LP '17.

I actually paid almost the same price for them, the equivalent of 6 and 700 bucks, respectively. The Gibson was on sale. The Epi, well, Sweden' s expensive.

They're both very good. You get a bit more chime with the Gibson (9-hole weight relief), but more bite with the Epi - and even though it has no weight relief, it's very resonant. Both have the Slash tone that I look for in a Les Paul.

So I'd look for either, used. If you play some 1977 punk rock, I would have to go ahead and be a heretic and suggest the Epi PlusTop Pro over the Gibson.

Happy hunting!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 7:36 AM, Wmachine said:

And me too, on both counts. OP, sounds like you have way to much experience to expect anything new out of your"Gibson LP Studio vs Epiphone LP" question.  It will always be answered by those on both sides.   Far too many of both to generalize, and the only one that matters is the one you get.  If you are lucky it will grab your heartstrings.    If you add perseverance to the luck, it will grab your, well, you'll find out.

 

 

Very true. I guess I should have titled this Epi LP vs Gib LP Studio; I've only tried a handful of studios.

I should have enough for a LP standard after my next paycheck. I need to read up on all the differences between the newer lp models.. there seems to be hundreds of em! And like someone just said, try every one u can get yer hands on. Which I always do anyways 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mustang Martigan said:

 

Very true. I guess I should have titled this Epi LP vs Gib LP Studio; I've only tried a handful of studios.

I should have enough for a LP standard after my next paycheck. I need to read up on all the differences between the newer lp models.. there seems to be hundreds of em! And like someone just said, try every one u can get yer hands on. Which I always do anyways 😉

If you are concerned with how much weight you will be hanging around your neck you may wan to read "pippy's post on LP weight relief"... 

Note that a well taken care of Gibson LP can last indefinitely and will be with you for a very long time..  😉

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mustang Martigan said:

 

Very true. I guess I should have titled this Epi LP vs Gib LP Studio; I've only tried a handful of studios.

I should have enough for a LP standard after my next paycheck. I need to read up on all the differences between the newer lp models.. there seems to be hundreds of em! And like someone just said, try every one u can get yer hands on. Which I always do anyways 😉

 

Between 2016 and the 2019 the year specific Standard (Standard T in 2016 and 2017) remained pretty much unchanged. However, the somewhat confusing part is that Gibson changed CEOs and in 2019 Gibson, under the new leadership, abandoned the year specific models and released their new core lineup, which differs from the 2019 models released under the previous CEO. The new Gibson USA lineup is divided into two collections, the Modern and Original collection. The Standard is part of the original collection and, particularly the Standard 50s is almost identical in specs as what the LP traditional 2018 and 2019 model used to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...