Gibson Brands Forums

The passing of Aina Jo

tpbiii

It is with a heavy heart I would like to announce the passing of my wife of 50 years, Aina Jo Barnwell.  She passed away suddenly and unexpectedly one month ago.  I know many of you already know this, and I thank for your sympathy.

You may have noticed what when I talked about old instruments, I always said WE and OUR.  That was because in our 50+ years of making music together and maybe 45+ years of acquiring old instruments, we always did it together.  Our rule of thumb was to never play instruments that were younger than us.  Since she would have been 75 today and I already am, we had to be into golden era stuff.

As a team, we were really good I think.  I am very aural -- and a profession sound science geek as well -- and she was no-filters visual.  We only wanted excellent sounding instruments -- that was much easier to do earlier than today -- and the details of condition were of major import since our rational was that we were doing a retirement investment and we needed to correctly assess market value.  She could find every flaw, every repair, every bit of refinish or over-spray.  We never bought duplicates -- we wanted to cover the pre 1970 sound palette of acoustic guitars and banjos.  We loved to mix it up acoustically -- songs, harmonies, instruments, and voices.  We had 200+ instruments.

We did her memorial last Sunday at the Armuchee Music Park, where we probably played 200+ shows.  More importantly, we also played in the parking lot for maybe 10 hours a day for every show -- one of our musical homes.  Her friends -- Louisa Branscomb and Kathy Reed -- spontaneously wrote a song in her honor when they heard she had passed called AINA JO.  Our current band was called the SPRUNG CHICKENS, and Louisa and Kathy came and performed the song on a SPRUNG CHICKENS tribute set in the actual festival and in the memorial on Sunday.

It was a fine send off I think.

Here is my FB post about the memorial  -- it includes a version of the song.

FB Link

Best,

-Tom

• Like 1

Tom my condolences, I've known you over the years from UMGF or other Vintage guitars sites only but when ever I've had a question about your guitars

or anything related to guitars you always have been kind and informative, it was also always obvious that your wife was right there by your side and just much

into guitars as you were.  I would like to thank you for helping me learn more a guitars  and again my condolence for your loss. 

Jeff

• Like 1

Tom, this is sad news, but I thank you for letting us know. Your shared joy has been evident in every post, and I am sorry for your loss even as you celebrate her life and your journey together. Peace to you, sir...I shall be thinking of you in the days ahead.

• Like 1

We're coming up on #48.

Sounds like you two had a great life and it looks like you gave her a great send off. Sorry for your loss but congratulations on the wonderful life you two shared. I really enjoy all the videos you two have out there and you'll have them to look back on as you carry on.

Best wishes,

Dave 

• Like 1

My very best friends for life have been musicians that I've played/gigged with. A special bond develops from time to time with certain personalities. I've often wondered why this was.

Perhaps the necessity for telepathic communication, that we've all felt, like when a complex arrangement is undertaken in a quiet setting with educated onlookers.

When this bond is blended with a marriage it's a very special thing indeed.

You have been blessed, my friend.

• Like 2

I always enjoyed the vimeos of you and your wife playing together Tom. Her smile said it all! A special connection with the music. The solid notes from the bass and beautiful harmony soaring above the melody. May her memory live on in the music that you made together and the beautiful instruments the two of you collected. My deepest sympathy to you, your family and friends.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tom, I am so sorry to hear your news. I can only imagine the desolation and pain you must be feeling. It sounds to all of us like she lived a fulfilling and happy life though, surrounded by music and your glorious collection of instruments, and of course with your good self by her side. 

Words aren't sufficient at this time, I appreciate that. You'll be in my thoughts and in my playing too, next time I have a guitar in my hands.

• Like 1

Very sorry for your loss, Tom. It's wonderful that you had such a great partner in life with whom to share mutual interests and passions, and that you complimented each other's strengths. I'm sure you will think of her every time you pick up one of the beautiful vintage instruments you both treasured. When you strike a chord, you will feel her embrace. 

Take care.

Red 333

• Like 3