Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar security

LarryUK

Do any of you use a GPS tracker on any of your guitars? I’ve been looking at them. 

The one I’ve posted a pic of is only small, so would even go in your guitar cavity. 

I might get one to try or do you already use one? 

B660916E-376B-4B83-9965-8CAFC1D670E7.jpeg

If you ever had a guitar "liberated" at a gig, you will buy this without flinching. If no one else had invented this, I would have done so when I had the money to develop it. sadly, those days have passed me by, but I pitched the idea to some friends who had had instruments stolen. 

23 hours ago, FZ Fan said:

So how fast do you think you can get it back. Chances are the person who stole it is selling it that day of the next.

A friend of mine has a new sports car.  He had a tracker fitted and within a month it was stolen twice. Both times the police had got the car within 15 mins. 

If I had a guitar stolen at a gig and the police could get it back, what price could you put on that? Some of the security items have GPS tracking and alarms fitted if the guitar moves. So if your guitar was on stage and you were out having dinner etc, your phone would tell you it was gone. You'd have it back to do the gig with. That would be worth hundreds. 

• Upvote 1

Years ago, in Boone NC, I auditioned for a band as a stand-up singer, and I was admiring one of the guy's guitar. He said he stole it from Leslie West at a concert. I never saw him again. I DO NOT support thieves.

Call the friggin cops and tell them there's a guy with a gun in the alley and you'll be here an hour later calling them back to tell them again and hope they get here in another hour or so.  I can't wait to tell them one of my guitars has been stolen(has never happened ever to me or anyone I know) and see how lickety split they get here with the Tracking Thrombobulator Equipment.  sheeeyayeah, that'll happen.

rct

Technology for radio frequency ID is rapidly evolving, and it may be that in the near future, you can get a small, printed, laminated, plastic circuit the size and shape of a postage stamp to track whatever item you'd be interested in tracking.

RFID

Edited by zigzag

18 hours ago, rct said:

Call the friggin cops and tell them there's a guy with a gun in the alley and you'll be here an hour later calling them back to tell them again and hope they get here in another hour or so.  I can't wait to tell them one of my guitars has been stolen(has never happened ever to me or anyone I know) and see how lickety split they get here with the Tracking Thrombobulator Equipment.  sheeeyayeah, that'll happen.

rct

Who says you have to call the police. I would use that GPS in conjunction with my 9mm. I'll track my guitar down and use the Ruger as support. 

1 hour ago, FZ Fan said:

Maybe over in the UK they have the Guitar Police?

[lol][lol]

Nope.

The UK police advise everyone to insure valuable equipment and register it on this database which is the 1st thing they check -

https://www.immobilise.com/

I think fitting a tracker to valuable instruments is a very good idea 👍🕵️‍♂️

22 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Who says you have to call the police. I would use that GPS in conjunction with my 9mm. I'll track my guitar down and use the Ruger as support. 

18 hours ago, FZ Fan said:

Very Charles Bronson.

Great movie plot. 'Ultimate Guitar Shootout'.