Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought my first Gibson...

Cranks

After playing a 70s Yamaha FG500 for the past 10 years (a sweet guitar that plays way beyond the $485 I paid for it in Seattle) I got a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage today. Having fun playing all my favorite Stones songs, as well as Say Hello Wave Goodbye by David Gray. Came with the original case and a LR Baggs Anthem pickup installed. Woot!

IMG_20190530_230039.jpg

Edited by Cranks
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations on your first Gibson! It is a beauty. My first Gibson was a Hummingbird as well but it was a POS (1977). Forty-two years later, I have another Gibson (12 string) and it is truly amazing! Enjoy playing and welcome to the forum!

QM7m456.jpg?2

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, drathbun said:

Congratulations on your first Gibson! It is a beauty. My first Gibson was a Hummingbird as well but it was a POS (1977). Forty-two years later, I have another Gibson (12 string) and it is truly amazing! Enjoy playing and welcome to the forum!

QM7m456.jpg?2

That is a beauty - and twice the fun! What songs do you tend to play on it?

Keep the wiener dog well away from your guitar. They can be jealous and vengeful creatures. The dogs, not the guitars.

(Says the guy who owned dachshunds for the better part of 30 years, and may yet get another one.)

5 hours ago, Proclaimer888 said:

Congrats.......and also......David Gray Say  Hello Wave Goodbye is a must.........I will try to attach a link to the song.....cover from Soft Cell??   Congrats Cranks!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSXQWj0HEBE

Isn't that cover amazing? I don't know about you but I thought the original was dreadful. Not sure how David Gray spotted the potential in that!

7 hours ago, Cranks said:

That is a beauty - and twice the fun! What songs do you tend to play on it?

I've had it about seven months now and have played many of my favourite 12 string song on it:

Early Morning Rain

Hotel California

Over The Hills and Far Away

Wish You Were Here

Norwegian Wood (instead of a sitar)

Turn, Turn, Turn

Tuesday Afternoon

I Believe in Father Christmas (at Christmas time)

We Just Disagree

My Back Pages

and

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, drathbun said:

I've had it about seven months now and have played many of my favourite 12 string song on it:

Early Morning Rain

Hotel California

Wish You Were Here

Turn, Turn, Turn

Tuesday Afternoon

We Just Disagree

My Back Pages

and

"My oh my"......get it?.....some sweet songs flashed on this NGD!!  I want a Bird!!  Guess I will have to do with my .45.  Not a bad situation to be in though. 

• Upvote 1

Sal, you are a fickle creature! You buy great guitars, sell them, and then sometimes buy them back.

But you almost always seem to miss them when they're gone.  A good 'bird would seem to be a natural for you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, drathbun said:

Early Morning Rain

Hotel California

Wish You Were Here

Turn, Turn, Turn

Tuesday Afternoon

We Just Disagree

My Back Pages

and

Wow, I'd never heard Even In The Quietest Moments before. What a great song, and what an excellent cover you do. Your voice sounds really good, and you really hold down all the picking well, that's a lot of work. We should play together sometime (where are you located?). We play a lot of the same music (I can play the six string part and sing harmony on Wish You Were Here), and you could teach me some great songs!

4 hours ago, Proclaimer888 said:

"My oh my"......get it?.....some sweet songs flashed on this NGD!!  I want a Bird!!  Guess I will have to do with my .45.  Not a bad situation to be in though. 

Ha ha, a David Gray quote - love it! I love that whole album.  drathbun's list makes me want to go learn Turn Turn Turn and some others today. 

I heard Carry On yesterday by CSNY and was trying to figure that out. It's a half step down tuning appears to be EBE for the low strings, but I am not convinced on the tuning of the upper 3 yet.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:39 AM, kidblast said:

yep,,  as Keef would say "5 strings, three fingers, 1 a$$hole!! "  LOL!

Keef was, of course, referring to Open G tuning and his Tele Miccawber which was set up with five strings.

John Hiatt, though, probably with Keef in mind, once referred to the HB as the greatest rock & roll acoustic on the planet.