Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for the specifics of this Les Paul...

gemakus

Looking for the specifics of this Les Paul.  Custom?  Custom pro?  I thought it was a custom pro, but the truss rod cover just says Gibson.  If anyone could help out or price it for me I'd appreciate it.  (And no, it's not mine, I hate the football helmet sticker just as much as you do)

Screenshot_20190531-143804_Gallery.jpg

Edited by gemakus
Added picture

It looks like a custom pro and to my eyes it's authentic except for the Gibson truss rod cover.  Gibson truss rod covers  never have 3 holes.  If I saw that guitar for sale I would pass since the truss rod cover is obviously fake and I would wonder what else is wrong with the guitar.  It bothers me more than the football helmet truthfully.  Since I'm not sure I mentioned the words truss rod cover enough  you know what I would replace before trying to sell it?

The truss rod cover.

As for resale price I would look at ebay or craigslist to get a feel  of what  it might go  for.  The helmet decal will drag down the  re-sale price for sure so if that could be removed without damaging the finish  it should be if your looking for top dollar.  Very nice looking ax  tho for sure

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCTAWGh--epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-alpine-white

The truss rod cover is not fake. The guitar is a pre-2004 model, which also means that it's not a Pro. Just a plain ol'custom. 

From the late 1980s until around 2004, Epiphone used that truss rod cover to connect the brand to Gibson. It was a way to boost their reputation after the quality issues they had during the 1970s and early 80s. From 1986 - 1988 many of their guitars had "Epiphone by Gibson" inlaid on the headstock. The truss covers were a less expensive way to convey the same message. 

If you want more info about this guitar, we will need to see the serial number. Some of the earlier models had the serial on a sticker on the back of the headstock.  If that sticker is missing, and there is no serial at all, it just means that the guitar was made in Samick, Korea and the year will remain a mystery.

Edited by RobinTheHood
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RobinTheHood said:

The truss rod cover is not fake. The guitar is a pre-2004 model, which also means that it's not a Pro. Just a plain ol'custom. 

From the late 1980s until around 2004, Epiphone used that truss rod cover to connect the brand to Gibson. It was a way to boost their reputation after the quality issues they had during the 1970s and early 80s. From 1986 - 1988 many of their guitars had "Epiphone by Gibson" inlaid on the headstock. The truss covers were a less expensive way to convey the same message. 

If you want more info about this guitar, we will need to see the serial number. Some of the earlier models had the serial on a sticker on the back of the headstock.  If that sticker is missing, and there is no serial at all, it just means that the guitar was made in Samick, Korea and the year will remain a mystery.

This helps make sense of my 2001 Explorer having a Gibson truss cover.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MildAshers said:

This helps make sense of my 2001 Explorer having a Gibson truss cover.

I currently have three with this truss rod cover. A 93 S-310, 94 G-310 and 2001 LP Standard. I've seen these truss rod cover sell online for anywhere from $5 to $25. 

Going off of what Robin The Hood said, this is not the Custom Pro - it is the older Custom, and in this case likely a Korean one based on the tuners (unless those were aftermarket replacements). The main difference will be the pickups & electronics; this guitar, the Custom, will have the older Alnico Classic pickups, which are alright but IMO don't hold a candle to the Probuckers on the newer Custom Pros. That being said, if you like the way that guitar plays and if you can get it at a good price, you can swap pickups/electronics for not a lot of money and have a good player on your hands.

• Upvote 1