Gibson Brands Forums

We Lost Another One - Roky Erickson

zombywoof

Roky was truly something special.  He  will best be  remembered  for the 45 rpm he recorded with his band the 13th Floor Elevators  Your Gonna Miss Me.   Roky's music and struggles were well documented in the documentary Your Gonna Miss Me.   The story of a true rock & roll survivor.  As he predicted I am gonna miss him  and will always be grateful for the music he gave me and others.  

Edited by zombywoof

Texas psychedelia always seemed like a contradiction in terms, sort of like Mississippi heavy metal. The 13th Floor Elevators certainly occupied a niche, and some of their music personified an era.

Roky was... different.  Four chords and a puff of smoke.

2 hours ago, FZ Fan said:

Oh man that is sad. He went way off the deep end on LSD. Watched a doc about him. His music is hit and miss, but his good stuff is really good.

Don't Shake Me Lucifer.

With Roky the myth had become fact.   The first Aliens L P (his first commercial recording in some 15 years) with Don't Shake Me Lucifer only added to it.  I even have an acoustic LP he recorded during one of his stays at Rusk State Metal Hospital on a portable tape recorder..   Here is a great version of Starry Eyes Roky recorded with Lou Ann Barton. 

Edited by zombywoof

I always considered the Elevators  more 1960s Garage Punk than Psychedelia.  More like the Chocolate Watch Band (whom I also loved)  than the Dead.  I never got to see the Elevators  live as they never played the East Coast.  They played the West Coast so frequently you would have thought they were a California band..   That amped jug though was certainly  strange.