Gibson Brands Forums

D-Day

Black Dog

Just taking a moment to remember all those brave people who sacrificed everything. 

I've been to Normandy and visited the American cemetery and most of the other sites.  For me it was quite a moving experience.   Just as a total coincidence, my wife and I were alone there for most of our visit.  It was also right at noon when we were at the cemetery and they played the National Anthem and as a further coincidence two French Mirage fighters flew over just at that time.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been lucky enough to meet a couple men who fought in that battle.  It is fascinating to hear their stories.  Especially to see them now and try to imagine them as young men doing what they did.  Incredible.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

I certainly believe that I am here now and have had the privilege of life because of what those men and women did.

No exaggeration;  they were ordinary people who had no other choice but to fight a tyranny  which threatened the world. 

EDIT (In fact...I am here now because my father was a Lieutenant-Colonel posted to E Africa, which is where he met my mother, the WAC who was his driver).

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

These soilders truly were part of the greatest generation. The men and women of that era were the backbone of America and we should all be eternally greatful for their devotion and sacrifice to this great country. The history of these events should never be forgotten.

• Like 2

One of my grand uncles was wounded on Normandy Beach but that's all he ever said about it.

Another grand uncle was in the Navy and had a gazillion green tattoos which he always kept covered up.  He never said a peep about any of it.

A very brave, and modest, generation of men and women.

• Like 1

Yes; we must remember and honour all those who took part in what was certainly one of the most decisive phases of the war.

In common with some others who have already posted above my father was there - having also previously been in north africa with the  tank corps - but, like many of his comrades who survived, never ever spoke about D-Day. In fact I could count the number of times he mentioned his part in the whole of the  WWII conflict on the fingers of one hand. Around ten years ago when my brother and I were clearing out the old family home after the deaths of both my father and mother we discovered, underneath a drawer liner in an old chest of drawers, his medal box with all his dcorations and ribbons. We didn't even know he had been awarded any.

Thanks are given to everyone who has fought and continues to fight against such tyrrany.

Pip.

• Like 1

The Greatest Generation...    We could learn a lot from them.  We'd better  -  before it's too late.

My father was a SSgt. USA.  Visited virtually every country west of Germany, and then Germany.  Talked a little about an estate they bivouaced in while in England.  He couldn't get over the fact the heating system consisted only of fireplaces five men could fit in standing up.  He mentioned once and very briefly that they were bombed and someone in his tent was killed.  One uncle was shot down and a POW, lost an eye. The other uncle was apparently in very heavy fighting, also Europe. He drank a lot.  None of them ever talked about it - though they may have amongst themselves.  And, one Uncle went to Saipan as a Pvt. and died there.  My mother never really 'got over it'.    I am unable to adequately express my love and admiration for that generation.  Words are inadequate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1