Gibson Brands Forums

So there I was... preparing to sell my flawless Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1, a gorgeous instrument aesthetically and tonally, and with a neck that feels... perfect, just perfect. A nice sunny morning, so outside to get some decent background for photos... I just shot photos of the original and perfect case, and now moving around taking photos of the guitar, when... BANG! The photos tell the story...

1533000208_GibsonJBMod1-01.jpg.1311758254b1ef2fe4efa3bb3156bdf0.jpg401313442_GibsonJBMod1-03.thumb.jpg.459af0c469268cea137b4aaae144daa1.jpg222787515_GibsonJBMod1-04.jpg.cfdb31de091f960dee11bf1797bf4ab1.jpg575519109_GibsonJBMod1-05.jpg.68eb64812cd5aac8dba43fe8af4da11f.jpg2021571669_GibsonJBMod1-08.jpg.3d15ff47524b1afda951f875568cfb9d.jpg

I guess I should have picked up the case... my wife came driving into our compound not paying too much attention... notice the tread marks... ouch.

311111750_GibsonJBMod1-10.jpg.c4d8e30eec41c4107f95698034722336.jpg

Gibson JB Mod1 - 02.jpg

Oh man...  what a drag..  I guess you can look on the bright side,  she could have just as easily run down the guitar...

One of my band mates from some years ago accidentally backed over his rickenbacker 360 one night (It was in the case..). 

He stopped before the front tire went over it.   Amazingly  the case actually saved it from serious damage.  he was a luck boy..

7 hours ago, billder99 said:

Before this "Squashed" post, and before going out to take photos, I explained in this post:   

That's too bad. You really should just play the living $h!t out of that guitar and worry less about scratching/denting/dinging it. It's meant to be played! I know if it was mine I'd keep it out on a stand and just play it. I keep my Ren-Era AJ, J45, D-18 and D-35 out on stands. Dings and dents happen. I didn't buy the guitars to admire or keep in the case, I bought them to play, but with that said I'm not criticizing you. More like trying to encouraging you to keep it and play the snot out of it! But if I had a guitar that I didn't feel comfortable playing or was super valuable and I was worried about damaging it, taking it out of the house, etc., I'd sell it in a heartbeat. 

Edited by sbpark

9 hours ago, sbpark said:

That's too bad. You really should just play the living $h!t out of that guitar and worry less about scratching/denting/dinging it. It's meant to be played! I know if it was mine I'd keep it out on a stand and just play it. I keep my Ren-Era AJ, J45, D-18 and D-35 out on stands. Dings and dents happen. I didn't buy the guitars to admire or keep in the case, I bought them to play

Bingo.

All of mine hang on the wall unless they are traveling. I even will put them in my truck WITHOUT being cased and take them to the cabin.  GASP ! It's only a few miles.

Mine have ZERO value anyhow because THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE !

What you need to do is go ahead and whack it with something. You know, a phone, broom handle, something tough. Maybe smack it on the door frame passing through a room. Knock off some of that re-sale value.

Then you can just keep it an enjoy it forever.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sbpark said:

That's too bad. You really should just play the living $h!t out of that guitar and worry less about scratching/denting/dinging it. It's meant to be played! 

I get what your saying... I play every day, but this is the first guitar I ever owned that is perfect AND expensive (I've had a few new guitars, Eastmans, never worried about those). I just can't bring myself to treat the JB like any other... the fact is, it's a very special instrument. Here's the good news... now that the original case is squashed, maybe I'll say frack it and quit babying it. Hope so... I does sound and play unlike any other I've owned.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, billder99 said:

now that the original case is squashed, maybe I'll say frack it and quit babying it. Hope so... I does sound and play unlike any other I've owned.

Yep!  you have a solid plan in play!  (pun intended..)

20 hours ago, billder99 said:

I get what your saying... I play every day, but this is the first guitar I ever owned that is perfect AND expensive (I've had a few new guitars, Eastmans, never worried about those). I just can't bring myself to treat the JB like any other... the fact is, it's a very special instrument. Here's the good news... now that the original case is squashed, maybe I'll say frack it and quit babying it. Hope so... I does sound and play unlike any other I've owned.

You absolutely should. Don't worry about keeping it perfect, play it and enjoy it, let it's life begin in earnest. In my opinion guitars aren't meant to be perfect...I've never once listened to a classic record and thought "jeez, that acoustic sounds unmarked!" All my guitars have bruises and battlescars, between them they have been in and out of planes, trains and automobiles more times than most people do in a lifetime. They work for me and I work for them.

I never treat them disrespectfully, always keep them clean and well maintained, but they're out on the road with me between four and six nights a week and have inevitable playwear. The upside is, of course, that the more they're played the more they open up and really start to sing.

• 3 years later...

What an incredible looking guitar & case - and how lucky only the latter was damaged.

Wonder what happened next. . 

On 6/7/2019 at 3:30 AM, Murph said:

Bingo.

All of mine hang on the wall unless they are traveling. I even will put them in my truck WITHOUT being cased and take them to the cabin.  GASP ! It's only a few miles.

Mine have ZERO value anyhow because THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE !

What you need to do is go ahead and whack it with something. You know, a phone, broom handle, something tough. Maybe smack it on the door frame passing through a room. Knock off some of that re-sale value.

Then you can just keep it an enjoy it forever.

Murph, since I live in California, I tend to keep my guitars in their cases.

Leslie used to hang her Hummingbird 12-String on the wall.... it was hanging on the wall when the big earthquake hit Napa....it fell off and broke the headstock off.

Even though she sent it back to Gibson to be repaired, I think she couldn't stand the fact that it had been damaged....so she sold it to me....actually a good thing....I've recorded WELL OVER 100 songs with it!   And you have to look pretty danged hard to find where Gibson repaired it!

1 hour ago, Murph said:

That's probably a good idea.

But I'd keep the gun handy...

I live in a pretty 'low-crime' area....but I did catch a couple of guys in my motor home one morning, (maybe 26-27 years ago). 

Since then I lock the doors on it!   I had my old Dove in the motor home at the time....but I scared them away before they got much.

I do carry a loaded gun around the property.....but for coyotes.

• Like 1