Gibson Brands Forums

50 years ago.....

Murph

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

Graduated from high school 50 years ago - thinking about the draft.

Wasn't too concerned about what the Beatles were doing!

Graduated from college 50 years ago -- thinking about the draft.

Wasn't too concerned about what the Beatles were doing!

50 years ago I was 17 and getting ready for my senior year in HS. Great summer. I didn't have to worry about the draft for another 2 years. One of my older brothers was serving in Nam at the time.

If my figuring is correct (and I failed math twice), fifty years ago today I was one year and 92 days away from meeting my wife............Thinking of all the things that are now gone can get kind of creepy.  Couple day ago I ran into a guy I hadn't seen for several years.  I was thinking about how much older he looked....lol.....He's 52 now.  Then I kind of sadly thought----I'm nearly twenty-years older than him.

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Couple day ago I ran into a guy I hadn't seen for several years.  I was thinking about how much older he looked....lol.....He's 52 now.  Then I kind of sadly thought----I'm nearly twenty-years older than him.

It doesn't bear thinking about. I stare at the old guy in the mirror every morning and think "what's my father doing looking at me through the window?"

50 years ago, Jimi was still alive and on fire, or his guitars were...and Woodstock was still a few months away!

I had been playing bongos mainly on my acoustic guitar between painful playing of that action, and at last my father gave up on the guitar hate/muso hate/no future stuff and sent me to a group class guitar lessons, after me pestering forever. We had to buy a bible with all the guitar notes on the strings of the first 3 or 4 frets and the first songs were awful, but then the teacher played Guitar Boogie. Yeah!

About that time I had informed my parents that NO, I wasn’t ever having that head bleeding hair cut ever again, which I didn’t for at least 10 years. (It had been about 2 years since a friend said: ‘Look what I bought!’ Sgt. Peppers......).  And I looked superb in my white Amco jeans and matching jacket at the free outdoor concert in the park where everyone was smoking Petuli Oil, or so I thought.....

BluesKing777.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:59 AM, Murph said:

The Beatles release "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" / "Old Brown Shoe"  (June 4th)

Nicky Hopkins quits the Jeff Beck Group.

The last episode of Star Trek aired. 

We landed on the moon that July...That was huge and yes I remember it , I was 10 .

Yeah, the draft board kept me on the move until the Lottery.  But I was in NY and the moon landing took second place to the Mets taking it all.  Then, of course, we had Woodstock.  We did not know it at the time but it was the Last Chance Dance of the 1960s with   Altamont (which I hitched out for but did not make) being the death rattle.  

Edited by zombywoof

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

......  Then, of course, we had Woodstock.  ....  

I grew up in Cincinnati so I did not hear about Woodstock until '79.

Mark Twain quote about Cincinnati
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times."
Edited by Dave F