Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Baritone string gauge

trapdoorspider

Sorry for such a dumb question, but thanks to eBay I'm the new owner of a 2013 SG Baritone -- and I don't have a clue what gauge strings this guitar requires. It currently seems to have regular-gauge strings (10-46, maybe?) but I've seen special "baritone" strings that are much heavier, like 13-72. The problem is, I don't think the slots in the nut will hold strings that large. Does anybody know the "correct" strings that should go on this nice guitar? As you can tell, I've never had a  baritone guitar before.

Thanks! I didn't think Gibson would still have a spec page for this guitar. But even though those official specs say "13-60 gauge" nobody makes that exact size for electric guitars. I finally located some D'Addarios that are 13-62, so I guess that's close enough (surely that top string will fit in the nut properly). The previous owner said he used regular gauge (10-46) but I guess he was mistaken. It IS a "very unusual Beast," as you say.

20 hours ago, trapdoorspider said:

Thanks! I didn't think Gibson would still have a spec page for this guitar. But even though those official specs say "13-60 gauge" nobody makes that exact size for electric guitars. I finally located some D'Addarios that are 13-62, so I guess that's close enough (surely that top string will fit in the nut properly). The previous owner said he used regular gauge (10-46) but I guess he was mistaken. It IS a "very unusual Beast," as you say.

Do a search for Baritone Guitar Strings

Also note that with a 27" neck that the strings may feel lighter than they actually are, but with the 13-60 strings the Baritone is usually tuned down two and a half steps to B-E-A-D-F#-B... If the previous owner said he used regular gauge (10-46), he may have used something closer to normal guitar tuning...

Edited by mihcmac