Gibson Brands Forums

Finish quality

Hesser

Hello, 

I just recently purchased a brand new Gibson J45 Acoustic guitar. It's apsolouty beautiful. She's definitely my six string Grand Piano.  The only thing I've noticed is the finish where my forearm rest on the upper face has started to fade, loosing it's glossy finish. Has anyone one else had this problem? ......I've been playing for over 30 plus years and never had this problem.  Please advise.  Cheers! Terry.

I think this is common... chemistry of your skin reacts with the finish. I had an HD28 that I bought used, and I could not get it out. That HD28 had that arm stuff for years before me.

if your guitar is new... and I mean really new... I’m guessing the finish hasn’t completely settled?

try this .... Virtuoso cleaner, and then Virtuoso polish.

Edited by ThemisSal

Itll happen for a while,  it's just the lacquer hardening,  the heat of your skin and movement will be microscopically softening it 

I had with mine  , it stops after a certain time depending on playtime 

Leave it out of the case if you can 

Wear long sleeves 

It can be a little painful after playing for a while when its sticking on your arm 

30 yrs, & never had this problem? I’ve never not had this “problem”. With any guitar.  I don’t really see it as a problem. Just a fact of playing guitar. My flat finished guitars get shiny, my shiny guitars get flat.

I''m a lazy picker.  I kind of slouch all the way over the guitar when I'm playing.  All of my guitars have elbow grease, spit, sweat, coffee stains, bits of chocolate chip cookies rubbed-in.  I wipe them off when I remember.  If I don't, I don't........When I see the stains and smudges in the sunlight, sometimes I say, "DAMN!"-----Then I just keep playing.  If one of my Gibbys ever gets stolen, all they have to do is check the DNA on the guitar and match it to me.  Better than getting your dog or wife micro-chipped.😎

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I''m a lazy picker.  I kind of slouch all the way over the guitar when I'm playing.  All of my guitars have elbow grease, spit, sweat, coffee stains, bits of chocolate chip cookies rubbed-in.  I wipe them off when I remember.  If I don't, I don't........When I see the stains and smudges in the sunlight, sometimes I say, "DAMN!"-----Then I just keep playing.  If one of my Gibbys ever gets stolen, all they have to do is check the DNA on the guitar and match it to me.  Better than getting your dog or wife micro-chipped.😎

Brilliant, Larry.

Just like mine...

This has happened on several of my new Gibson acoustics as well as electrics, The deal is the nitro cellulose finish hasn't completely  cured so you get a haze where your arm rests on the guitar. I buffed mine out with a cotton cloth to remove the haze. As indicated above, leave the guitar out or the case open. Generally takes around 2 months for things to settle.

1 hour ago, Low Country Boy said:

This has happened on several of my new Gibson acoustics as well as electrics, The deal is the nitro cellulose finish hasn't completely  cured so you get a haze where your arm rests on the guitar. I buffed mine out with a cotton cloth to remove the haze. As indicated above, leave the guitar out or the case open. Generally takes around 2 months for things to settle.

I don't think it has anything to do with the finish not curing. The arm haze thing happens on ALL of my acoustics, new, old, Gibson and yes, it also happens on Martins, it's just harder to see due to the natural finish. Also happens on Fender electrics, Gibson electrics, etc. It's just something that happens. 

4 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

I really do hope that the joke doesnt go over someone's head and they try that 

I must admit I had the same thought..

so we should probably add  it was a joke kids..  "DO NOT DO THIS!"

13 hours ago, sbpark said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the finish not curing.

I think this is true.  Lay your arm on your finished coffee table for a time, rub it around and you'll get the same result.  It's just body oils, sweat and general gunk that dulls the finish over time.  Not something I concern myself with........it comes with using the instrument........but I guess I can understand some folks being OCD about such things.