Gibson Brands Forums

Finish quality

Hesser

If you like your guitar to stay in the new.  Wipe it down after you have played it. I use a damp towel with water and dry it off after.  Polishes are okay. But some have waxes or silicones  that maybe  will hinder any types of top repairs in the future. 

5 hours ago, duane v said:

Folks

I edited a few posts. so that the joke may not turn into somebodies bad reality. lol  

Super lame and I\Im disappointed. Are we also going to start cutting the crusts off everyone's PB&J's and start creating safe spaces for Gibson owners who don't have common sense?!

33 minutes ago, duane v said:

I hear you, but I have seen someone actually take the advice of a joke that was made and damaged thier guitar, and it got pretty darn ugly.

Sometimes common sense just doesn't prevail.

I agree with this. You can't assume everyone here understands the difference between a joke and legitimate advice, particularly if they are new to the forum and don't appreciate the quirks that sometimes emerge.

I get the arm haze on every guitar I own and the bursts show it the worst, but my 2 month old Taylor has what they call the "Silent Satin Finish",  a poly finish cured with UV we are told - and it must be 'arm haze repellent'. Zip. Nada. None. Since Easter....

On the offending guitars like a burst Blues King L-00, if you get in early with the haze, you can sometimes breathe hot breath on the area and wipe it off with a damp t-shirt, but once it gets thick, Virtuoso polish will usually move it.....not always.

BluesKing777.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

I agree with this. You can't assume everyone here understands the difference between a joke and legitimate advice, particularly if they are new to the forum and don't appreciate the quirks that sometimes emerge.

If you're that gullible and actually use bug spray to polish your  guitar, you deserve the results. Harsh, but c'mon people. Nobody has a sense of humor these days. Stop taking yourselves so seriously, people. 

Edited by sbpark

30 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

sbpark,  if you went to a car care forum and someone snarky suggested you add sugar to your gas tank to your tank after every fill up, you’d  be ok with that?

I'd be fine with that because I actually know better. People live such sheltered lives these days. Anyone with half a brain could do the research and figure it out for themselves. And with the internet at our disposal, if you were the person who actually did add sugar to your gas tank (or used OFF! insect repellent as a guitar polish) you deserve the results. 

I never take anyone's word on an Internet forum as gospel. If someone offers advice I'll usually look into it deeper and take time to actually fact check/validate it. If you're the type who just takes random advice as legitimate fact then I feel sorry for you (and I'm pretty sure you're not that gullible). 

Edited by sbpark

45 minutes ago, sbpark said:

I'd be fine with that because I actually know better. People live such sheltered lives these days. Anyone with half a brain could do the research and figure it out for themselves. And with the internet at our disposal, if you were the person who actually did add sugar to your gas tank (or used OFF! insect repellent as a guitar polish) you deserve the results. 

I never take anyone's word on an Internet forum as gospel. If someone offers advice I'll usually look into it deeper and take time to actually fact check/validate it. If you're the type who just takes random advice as legitimate fact then I feel sorry for you (and I'm pretty sure you're not that gullible). 

I really like my Gibsons. I just take a polishing cloth and lay it under my arm, or wear a long sleeve cotton shirt. If the polishing cloth has a sewn seam aroun the outside, I cut it off.  It may seem like a little too much worrying, but I have always gotten top dollar for my guitars. They are also easier to sell. If they open the case, and it' gleaming, they are more likely to buy it. I have never had a guitar fail to sell if someone comes to look at it, so it must work.

1 hour ago, ajay said:

I really like my Gibsons. I just take a polishing cloth and lay it under my arm, or wear a long sleeve cotton shirt. If the polishing cloth has a sewn seam aroun the outside, I cut it off.  It may seem like a little too much worrying, but I have always gotten top dollar for my guitars. They are also easier to sell. If they open the case, and it' gleaming, they are more likely to buy it. I have never had a guitar fail to sell if someone comes to look at it, so it must work.

I buy guitars to play, not for their resale value. I'd hate to be that neurotic and waste that much energy and time always worrying about preventing every possible dent, ding and scratch. I just put just play my guitars. I still can't understand those that are so concerned with "resale value" when their guitar shopping, or mores than just playing the darn things.. So many haven't even bought the guitar yet, and you're already thinking about resale value. 

I think when we play out with our guitars they are just going to get some dings, bumps, and hickey-booboos.  I try to keep mine wiped off and protected without getting anal about it.  And I wear a long-sleeved shirt when playing just to keep the finish from getting dull.  Still, I cringe whenever I see a new bump or other indication of wear.  I suppose it's just the cross we bear.

I've watched the new Scorsese/Dylan documentary twice. I'm going to just guess here, but I'm pretty sure they worried less about creating a haze on their guitars from their arms, and probably spent less time wiping down their guitars and fixating over every nick, dent and bump and worrying less about resale value, and just had a darn good time playing. 

Edited by sbpark
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sbpark said:

I've watched the new Scorse/Dylan documentary twice. I'm going to just guess here, but I'm pretty sure they worried less about creating a haze on their guitars from their arms, and probably spent less time wiping down their guitars and fixating over every nick, dent and bump and worrying less about resale value, and just had a darn good time playing. 

no doubt about that,  but then again,  back in those days, they weren't shelling out $5k for a J200 either.  so there is that! 🙂

36 minutes ago, kidblast said:

no doubt about that,  but then again,  back in those days, they weren't shelling out $5k for a J200 either.  so there is that! 🙂

But if you factor in inflation it's usually been shown that what they cost new back then was pretty comparable to what they cost now. 

21 hours ago, sbpark said:

But if you factor in inflation it's usually been shown that what they cost new back then was pretty comparable to what they cost now. 

That is probably true.. but still..  $5k seems a lot more money then $450.  (wasn't that what  J200 was costing back in the 70s?)