Gibson Brands Forums

Me & the guitars are goin' south.....

Buc McMaster

New digs, Sal......time for a change, ya know?  And yes, bicycle ride to the surf to fish, stroll the Pleasure Pier, Mardi Gras in February on The Strand.......and just leaning back with my feet on the rail on the front porch.  For the moment we're living in a sea of boxes and stacks of wall hangings but it'll be better soon.

• Upvote 1

From living in a sea of boxes to living by the sea, sounds like you already have a new song in the making to go along with the new chapter in your life. I'm glad to know that the guitars will be accompanying you (as well as the wife and all the other stuff of course). I hope to be around here on the forum to enjoy a video of your first performance on the new front porch. Enjoy!

Down near my old digs, Buc. I lived in lake Charles for a dozen or so years, used to drive to Beaumont all the time to buy Vinyl siding when I did that work. Almost bought a place on Holly Beach around 1997. Hurricane Rita wiped out Holly Beach years later.

In fact my wife and daughter are in lake Charles now, drove down yesterday.

The Golden Triangle. Petro chemical capital of the World. 

Galveston is a cool town, I know you'll dig it there. I hate the heat anymore, if I ever leave Southern Illinois I'll go North. I heard you can buy a house in Detroit for fifty bucks....

Perfect, Grunt!  Gonna leave the city, got to get away.........my thinking exactly!  Might have to run before a storm down there once in awhile.  Sat out four hurricanes and numerous tropical storms here in the city but being on the island is a whole nuther thang. 

Oddly, da' wife and I came really close to buying a fully restored and added onto 1910 farmhouse here in our small  town a while back..  The reason we backed away is while we were up in Port Clinton, which sits on the south shore of Lake Erie,  we were tooling around and quickly found several turn of the century cottages (the whole town pretty much dates to 1890 to 1910) either facing the Lake or a block away so you could still see it.   While I had never given much thought to owning a vacation home it is looking like that is the direction in which we are heading.  

Edited by zombywoof

Best to you in your relocation!  Happy pickin’ there, too!  I have been going to a beach cottage getaway for a week all of my life and it’s great for inspiration.  Also, now that I am retired, my wife and I go to a beach town for the entire winter and that too is super inspiring.  Living full-tine in a cottage near a beach has to be awesomely inspiring.  Best to you there!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

4 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Sat out four hurricanes and numerous tropical storms here in the city but being on the island is a whole nuther thang. 

Yeah it is, just don't fight mother nature, work with her - know your early warning signals and exit strategy and you'll be fine... and super duper enjoy the 99 % of the time you are not thinking about storms 🙂  !

Edited by billroy

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:36 AM, Murph said:

I hate the heat anymore, if I ever leave Southern Illinois I'll go North.

Grew up in the LA area, then lived near Phoenix for a few years before escaping north.  Been on the north Oregon coast since 1984.  My comfort zone now peaks at 75 degrees & overcast.

Keep those stinkin' sunny days down south where they belong!

Have a great time. Always liked Galveston, although the only times I was ever there I was covering hurricanes. Last time I was there, after the storm made landfall,  I got stuck in an elevator in the federal building. Eight hours. Fortunately, I went to the restroom before getting on. Then the emergency generator gave out.

While sitting in the NOAA office there, I asked them if they had any data from the 1900 hurricane, the worst natural disaster in American history. One of the meteorologists went into a closet and brought out this old book filled with typed oral histories taken from survivors in the 1930s. (It was a WPA project.) They were riveting, scary, heartbreaking, fascinating and sometimes inspirational. And the rememberances of the "Death Gangs" -- African-Americans forced at gunpoint to collect the dead for burial at sea -- were sad. They were paid with whiskey. The bodies were loaded on barges, taken out into the Gulf, had rocks tied to them and then dumped overboard.

Physiology being what it is, nearly all the bodies began popping up to the surface after a day or two and the tides washed them ashore on Galveston. The Death Gangs were forced to collect them and burn them in giant pyres that burned for weeks.

The oral histories prompted me to write this. I've always wanted to go back and re-write/edit it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Well, there’s something grim to keep an eye out on the beachwalk!

Preceded or followed by a few chapters of Duma Key (Steve King)....

Now for a slightly cheerier beach story -  here on the other side of the planet, it is 7.20pm on a Friday night in Winter! So normally, I take the dog for a run and throw the Chuckit Ball after I finish work, but today there was a Red Zone (heavy rain/possible thunder) on the rain radar when I checked my iPad, so I could see it may pass so I told the dog I would practice guitar a bit now and take her to the beach when the storm cleared. Dog followed me to my music room and sat staring daggers at me while I had a strum or 2. There was very heavy rain for a while, but dogs care not, do they?

Packed up, and dog and I piled in the car to pick up the Boss at the train station and a visit to the supermarket, but first.....walkies on the beach as promised.....Boss stayed in the car with her arms folded and phew, I had my snow gear style jacket but it was freezing cold and windy and funnily enough, dog and I were the only moving creatures on the whole beach. I mean, as far as I could see. Dog ran like a rocket and then set herself to chasing a bit of sea foam before back to the car urgently!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777