Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup plus mic for gig

blindboygrunt

My Fishman soloamp has two inputs , one for mouth and one for guitar 

Say I wanted to use a mic in front of guitar in conjunction with the pickup , what do I need ?

A DI box or a little two channel mixer ?

Ideally dont want to spend a fortune , but after years of learning the best lesson has been buy once cry once

Best is a 4 channel mixer to powered speakers.

You still want to use the amp?

Boss VE8 or similar will do it - you can then run your pickup and vocal to the line/guitar input and use a  mic on your guitar to your mic input.

Or get a little dual source system in your guitar...K&K has a setup with an internal mic as well as the pickup. Or a Seymour Dunc Mag Mic (soundhole pickup with a mic underneath it.) Or get a Maton or Takamine or Aura loaded guitar.

Another approach would be to get a mic booster type preamp so you could get more volume and more control/eq out of the amps’ mic channel - run the mic somewhere lower between your mouth and guitar top to get a balance. And your guitar’s pickup to the guitar channel.

And a roadie....

BluesKing777.

Haha , a roadie 

I'm my own roadie 

Have looked at the pickups with mic attached ie. Fishman blend etc 

Yes I still want to use the amp,  not sure why you asked that ? 

Be a lousy gig with no amp 

Just seems to me that the guys who do it professionally mix their pickup sound with a mic in front of the guitar 

Just a mic brings issues and just a pickup could sound better ....

Always trying to improve,  if it sounds good to me then I'm happier hence better gig , theory anyway

Try the Seymour Duncan MagMic, they're a brilliant dual source mag pickup with a miniature condenser mic built in and onboard blending, so no need for an external mic/lead/stand etc. Super transparent and warm. I use one in my '41 Reissue SJ100, and it often gets compliments at live shows. If you can live with the look of a soundhole pickup (I quite like the businesslike visuals), the MagMic is a terrific option. 

3 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Yes I still want to use the amp,  not sure why you asked that ? 

Be a lousy gig with no amp 

I believe BK meant replace the amp with the 4 channel mixer and powered speakers, not needing the amp.  If you like the sound of the Fishman, I can't think of a reason not to couple it with a 2 or 4 channel mixer.  I'd probably go for the 4 channel ...  2 channel would do, but I'm from America where more is better - get the 4 channel.

FWIW - I like the idea of a separate mic and p'up for the guitar, over a pickup with a mic element to it. too much fiddlededooo for one contraption in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Jinder said:

Try the Seymour Duncan MagMic, they're a brilliant dual source mag pickup with a miniature condenser mic built in and onboard blending, so no need for an external mic/lead/stand etc. Super transparent and warm. I use one in my '41 Reissue SJ100, and it often gets compliments at live shows. If you can live with the look of a soundhole pickup (I quite like the businesslike visuals), the MagMic is a terrific option. 

Does the Seymour Duncan MagMic need a pre amp or other device between it and the guitar amp?

One other thing you could try, and guitarists generally hate the idea...turn the guitar input right down!😳😵

So start by turning the guitar input volume on the amp right off. Turn your mic input up as far as you can before feeding, back it off a fraction, then push the mic stand arm DOWN, so you can get the guitar spilling nicely into your vocal mic with a nice level for your vocal.  Play and sing a few songs to get the hang of it. Then gently turn the guitar input up just a very, very little to give 'reinforcement' to the guitar sound without overwhelming the vocal mic...

BluesKing777.

15 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

I'm lost , powered speakers?

Where did they come from ??

And why get 4 channels instead of 2 ?

Sorry,  but am easy confused 

They usually come from China.

Always get more stuff than you need.

This includes channels.

You're welcome.

22 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

My Fishman soloamp has two inputs , one for mouth and one for guitar 

Say I wanted to use a mic in front of guitar in conjunction with the pickup , what do I need ?

A DI box or a little two channel mixer ?

Ideally dont want to spend a fortune , but after years of learning the best lesson has been buy once cry once

BBG - been thinking about this and will weigh in one last time.  I see two ways to go, add a separate mic - or get a p'up with a mic element

as said above, i'm wary of pickups with mics - but with recommendations from the folks above, I think it could be worth a try - and would go that direction first.  My reasoning being is if that works, then you don't have to worry about carrying an extra mic / stand etc...    I'm hopeful, but wary though.

my next option would be to get a 2 channel mixer, and still run it through the fishman.  I like this option because I'm more confident you'll get the sound you like, but you do have to carry the extra gear.  On the upside - if you end up liking having a separate mic and pickup, and you want to investigate more opportunities to manage (improve?) your sound you could look at getting powered speakers (speakers that get plugged in to an outlet) to go to from the mixer and replace the fishman.

I think it's worth the chance on the p'up with mic to avoid carrying extra gear - but if you're leaning more towards making sure you like the results vs ease of gear carrying, the mixer might be a little more sure thing to deliver what you hope.

doo dah, doo dah

Edited by billroy

21 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Cheers jinder

That would be similar to the baggs m80 ?

It's quite a different beast to the M80. The M80 uses a top sensing coil and usually sounds bright and a little muddled to me. The MagMic has an onboard condenser capsule, complete with onboard blend control and preamps for both mic and pickup.

I find that whilst it still sounds like a mag pickup, it sounds a LOT more like the guitar it's in than most other soundhole mags. The mic is quite accurate and honest.

Edited by Jinder

18 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

Thanks jinder 

Bright is not what I'm after 

The m80 sounds better on YouTube recordings 

The magmic not so good 

Then theres the rare earth blend 🤣🤣

Ah dear , no end to it is there 

I don't think there is! 

So is the goal something as simple as just a condenser mic, pointed some where near the guitar to blend with the onboard electronics?

you wont be using the other input for a vocal mic? 

• Upvote 1

yep, clear as a bell.   A small secondary 2 CH mixer would do it.  you would mix the levels at the mixer,  eg: how much guitar mic vs pickup goes to the fishman via one of the "outs" on the mixer 

That would give you some decent control over EQ and levek 

You could then control the over all balance for your guitar (with the mix/pickup combo out of the mixer)  w/vocal mic would then done on your fishman. 

something like This would handle it, Be pretty easy to accomplish.   I think those can be had for around 100 bucks. 

Edited by kidblast

11 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

The main problem with any mic is feedback and that is the main reason everyone sticks to their various pickups. And in a noisy gig, the mic picks up everything.

BluesKing777.

Me and Dave Rawlings disagree.

39 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

Murph , delighted to hear that your audience is as quiet as a Dane Rawlings one 

Quiet?

This News Years Eve. show had a crowd of over 400, there were 5 Bands and we followed a classic rock thing. There is no pickup on this 1933 Gibson mandolin. There was a row of monitors in front of us with 15's and horns that was nearly 30 feet wide. Nobody was quiet, it was extremely LOUD and the monitors were loud as well. ZERO FEEDBACK. None...

Pwh3tbE.jpg

It takes a little time to dial in monitors when you use mics, but people do it ALL THE TIME. Chris Thile, Milk Carton Kids, Dave and Gillian, David Lindley, the list is legendary.

It just cheeses me off when people on Forums insist that it's impossible to use mics live because of feedback. You just have to work a little more.

Milk Carton Kids also are mic-only users. I saw Gillian Welch in 2011 in St. Louis and the crowd was ridiculously loud and conversant and stupidly drunk. The mic only performance did not suffer from crowd stupidity. 
If the crowd drowns out the performer, perhaps it may be best to accept the role of being a minor distraction in a sea of babble.
I prefer my front porch, the desire to perform disappeared in my rear view mirror long ago.
Best wishes for success on your sonic quest.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Quiet?

This News Years Eve. show had a crowd of over 400, there were 5 Bands and we followed a classic rock thing. There is no pickup on this 1933 Gibson mandolin. There was a row of monitors in front of us with 15's and horns that was nearly 30 feet wide. Nobody was quiet, it was extremely LOUD and the monitors were loud as well. ZERO FEEDBACK. None...

Pwh3tbE.jpg

It takes a little time to dial in monitors when you use mics, but people do it ALL THE TIME. Chris Thile, Milk Carton Kids, Dave and Gillian, David Lindley, the list is legendary.

It just cheeses me off when people on Forums insist that it's impossible to use mics live because of feedback. You just have to work a little more.

Sorry murph , I wasnt poo pooing what you said , just messing

Am a fan of all you listed there and a few more who mix pickup with mics 

Hell even Jackson Browne who designed what is thought as the end all and be all of pickups adds a mic when he plays live 

Ryan Adams (dont start)

Jeffrey foucault 

Pickup and mic blend 

I'm only looking into it all because we all wanna sound as best we can , some helpful answers here