Gibson Brands Forums

What is the VS model of a J-200?

ballen62

Hello! I have been searching the web to find some information on the J-200 VS model. I am trying to find a value for it but am really struggling to find any information on it. It is a 2012 with no electronics. It also doesn't have the gold tuners. It has more vintage looking tuners. (pic attached) Could anyone help Identify this? Does "s" mean standard? Never had one of these so am trying to educate myself. 🙂 Any help is appreciated. 

Screen-Shot-2019-06-11-at-10.01.15-PM.jpg

It does look a bit off but it might be the lighting. Could you post a close-up photo of that mustache bridge? In the photo is look very squared-off without any rounding over. If that is true, it is Chinese. The pickguard and the sunburst look odd as well but again that might be the lighting.

Edited by drathbun

Sad but apparently true.  In this photo, this guitar does look suspicious.  Sunburst looks wonky, pick guard shape looks off somehow, some of the fret board inlays look funny, not seen a 200 with keystone machine heads.  Appears to be a Chibson.  The consumers' defense for such schemes is good research, but is there a remedy the manufacturers can pursue with any hope of success?  This only serves to alienate consumers.

The two biggest giveaways are the pickguard and fret markers, neither are correct. The designs on both are off. Check any real 200 and you can easily see the differences. Buc, there are models of the 200 with the keystone, or tulip, machine heads, but I've never seen one that doesn't have gold ones. Another bad sign. I guess the next question for the OP is, how does it play and sound? And, if you didn't pay a real J200 price, it might be a nice guitar.

Edited by Joe M

Looking at my 2014 j200 VS and to be honest it really doesn't look that much different from the OP. I think the OP image was taken originally horizontal, then it was flipped vertical. I know from experience that can make any guitar look strange.

dove7_zpsxtdgdhhb.jpg

5 hours ago, Joe M said:

The two biggest giveaways are the pickguard and fret markers, neither are correct. The designs on both are off. Check any real 200 and you can easily see the differences. Buc, there are models of the 200 with the keystone, or tulip, machine heads, but I've never seen one that doesn't have gold ones. Another bad sign. I guess the next question for the OP is, how does it play and sound? And, if you didn't pay a real J200 price, it might be a nice guitar.

Comparing it with my J200 STD, I agree  with Joe.  Chibson.