Gibson Brands Forums

ECG: Costello Century Demo

JuanCarlosVejar

19 minutes ago, FZ Fan said:

Is that a real thing?

That is what it's called.

Tongue in cheek, because it is somewhat similar in appearance to mother of pearl, but is actually a "pearloid" plastic material used  from the 1930's to the 1950's (or so) for speaker boxes, toilet seat covers, hair brushes, and other decorative items. As well, of course, for over-the-top inlays on instruments, including guitars, banjos, and accordions. I had a student accordion with MOTS inlays when I was a kid. I would play anything with a keyboard, much to the dismay of my mother, who wanted me to stick to piano.

Google it. There are lots of good pictures online.

Edited by j45nick
addtional info

In the 1920s and 1930s you found MOTS on many of the cheaper guitars and mandolins.  I suspect in these cases it was used not as much as decoration but  in place of a fingerboard or to cover a wafer thin one.   I still own a Sears Harmony-made mandolin with an MOTS board and used to own a Schmidt Stella which had a really striking rose colored MOTS board.   On the other hand I also own an early-1930s Kay Kraft-made Oahu "Nick Lucas" which has an MOTS headstock.  Certainly not a cheap guitar as it sold for just under $100 in its day. 

Oahu-Jumbo4-zpsed775673.jpg