Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 1990s Model Info

biscotti54

I was wondering if someone could help me out here.  I have a friend who is considering buying this guitar.  The gentleman advertises it as a J-100 however, I think the sticker inside says J-200.  He seems to think it is from 1994.  The fact that the sticker is not directly centered over the center brace is unusual to me.  Also the headstock logo... was it ever used on this guitar?   The shape of the headstock seems to be correct.  I have never seen a gold script logo on this guitar, however, I am not an expert.   I would appreciate any opinions as to what we have here.  Could this be a fake?  A hybrid?   

Thanks.  

IMG_7079.jpg

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7081.jpg

Try typing those soundhole labels all day- surely misprints will happen. Maybe it was a Monday guitar. . . or a Friday.

Script logo is correct, banner ("Only a Gibson..."), correct as well. Taking a close look at the top line of the label in photo 2, it looks to also have the "Xtra" after J-200, which is how the J-100 was designated. The 1994 guitars would have the centennial logo, so as Slim says, maybe earlier.

A misprinted label is fine, and so Gibson. I'd be more concerned with what looks like a crack going into the rosette at the soundhole on the bass side of the fretboard extension.

9 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Try typing those soundhole labels all day- surely misprints will happen. Maybe it was a Monday guitar. . . or a Friday.

Script logo is correct, banner ("Only a Gibson..."), correct as well. Taking a close look at the top line of the label in photo 2, it looks to also have the "Xtra" after J-200, which is how the J-100 was designated. The 1994 guitars would have the centennial logo, so as Slim says, maybe earlier.

A misprinted label is fine, and so Gibson. I'd be more concerned with what looks like a crack going into the rosette at the soundhole on the bass side of the fretboard extension.

I bought my first J100 extra with the only gibson good enough in 91. As the same for the J45s .  I believe in 92  some of the specials had that logo in pearl.   The j35s that were discontinued had that as well.  

Most of the early 90s Gibson acoustics were showing those cracks down the side of the board on the top. Not sure why.  

• 3 weeks later...

It's a J100xtra from 93. Prior the 93 there was a J100 with the plain maple/English Sycamore back and sides, belly up bridge and teardrop Pickguard. For 93 they redesigned the J100 to make it look closer to the J200, this they did by adding the moustache bridge, and large plain J200 pickguard. The back and sides changed to Mahogany, and the designation to J100xtra. The 93 into very early 94 guitars have the script Gibson logo and "only a Gibson is good enough" line. This changed in 94 to the normal Gibson logo, and angular pineapple in gold silkscreen. Most 94s got the big centennial label too. I have a 94 and a close friend has a 93, which has all the features the posters guitar has.

Steve.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, slimt said:

I bought my first J100 extra with the only gibson good enough in 91. As the same for the J45s .  I believe in 92  some of the specials had that logo in pearl.   The j35s that were discontinued had that as well.  

Most of the early 90s Gibson acoustics were showing those cracks down the side of the board on the top. Not sure why.  

looking at a 1990 Black J100. any way to tell from serial number whether it would be sycamore 

1 hour ago, seamonkey said:

looking at a 1990 Black J100. any way to tell from serial number whether it would be sycamore 

Is it a maple back and side j100?   To be honest . With all that has been done over the years . Im not sure anymore. 

Edited by slimt