Gibson Brands Forums

gigging. Break time.

MorrisrownSal

Well fellas... I have been on this forum a while...

about four years back I started gigging as part of a duo with another guy.  Anywhere from 2-5 times per month. We probably have a 300 song repertoire, and have played regularly in about five places. The song have been well known singalongs, as well as interesting things we did with some covers, as well as originals, which never seemed to go over. 

It’s just gotten so stale lately. When I started I felt like I was “keeping young” and “escaping from the mundane”. It was very cool.

im doing my last one tomorrow night, at least for a while. Maybe I just got jaded. I wont close the door with my friend... but as of now I’m feeling “been there done that tick it off the list”.

I still love music, and I’ll try to reapproach it from a different tack. Maybe some time off.

anyways, maybe some of you hit this point already. Thanks for letting me vent.

You're just in a rut, Sal.

Play for yourself, what you want, when you want. Learn a new style of playing. Challenge yourself with new material.

Go listen to new music somewhere. Maybe take the time to go to a guitar camp, or some music festivals.

You're a talented guy. You will find something that makes it all fresh again.

I have been there a number of times....sorry to hear that, Sal.

Take it easy and put your feet up, resist the temptation to have a bonfire burning of the weapons. (guitars, gig bags, mic, gadgets, clothes, hat, car?)....You may change your mind in 3 weeks.

It is just very different liking doing something and having to do something.

BluesKing777.

Yep.  Happens to most at some point, sometimes more than once.  Beatles gave up live work real quick.  Stones tour, what?  Every four or five years now?  Oh yeah, it's a hoot early in the game........not much in this world that delivers the adrenaline and joy of singing and playing for a responsive live audience.  But, like everything else we do time and time again, the shine dulls and it becomes hum-drum, ho hum.  Burnout might last a few weeks, a few months, even years........might not ever want to do it again.........but forcing it is worse.  Let it be.  You'll know if and when the juices start bubbling up again.  Enjoy the downtime.  😎

I play mostly out on the road.  When I get home, I don't do anything serious with my guitar for a week or two, of I can afford the time, except to maybe mess with a new song or two.  Then, about 2 weeks before I go back out, I get serious again.  The time off seems to make everything refreshed.

Since my last reply, various 'partings of the way' have been replaying in my head... I hope you leave on good terms, but you seem a fairly nice person.

But I was thinking of some wild and weird partings I have had - from a full on band members holding 2 of us down to stop us from killing each other (intoxicants involved), to a sad phone call where someone just doesn't want to 'do it anymore', or in guitarist fashion, just don't turn up. From 2 members of a band 'not wanting to drive that far anymore' (wasn't that far really), and the cushy row of gigs at clubs and nice paydays evaporate....to the crazy 'I can't believe you picked that idiot as our manager, I'm leaving' to my reply that 'I thought you found him'...to the manager of a club asking: 'Are you expecting trouble?' (the roadie friend of a bass player told the club owner he was 'security'), and everyone had a hissy fit and that was it...

But fairly generally, I think I was the 'last one out' usually and only once I recall have I rang and said I wasn't turning up.... That said, there are people and songs I never wanted to see or hear again and that has remained true to this day....

But I mean, how did I go from this sort of gig:

U5lMFdeh.jpg

To this???? Solo - what happened?:

wx5qakrh.jpg

To sitting here working on a computer and relating tales on a forum......huh?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Well I lasted just one night (simply an open mic spot at that) for each year that you gigged with your buddy, lol. My instrumental tunes aren’t the sort of thing that demand attention let alone capture the hearts of an audience. Not a big deal really as I only chose to perform in front of a group of people in order  to confront my discomfort over such an experience. I was truly curious as to whether or not I could even remember how to play the guitar while up on a stage.

Aside from that I’ve always had periods of time where I’ve just stopped playing “. Maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months or even longer. But I eventually always seem to find my way back to noodling around with a guitar simply for the stress relief that it brings. The past few years I’ve dealt with a personal crisis that has impacted more than just my guitar playing. In addition, my nails that have worn like iron my entire life and were such a big part of my tone  and playing style just began to fall apart (literally).

I’ve now managed to put my personal issues to rest for the most part and even my nails have started to return to health. But I’ve been rather slow to re-enter the world of guitar playing. There is no particular reason for this, that’s just how it goes sometimes. No point putting any more pressure on myself I suppose. Good luck in figuring out what is the right move for you going forward.

Edited by Guth
Typo

You're not whining.....lol.....and if you are, we've all done it..........I know what you're talking about.  We get burned-out at times.  Sometimes the thrill and excitement of playing fades.  We're not making lots of money doing this stuff, so we better be having fun at it.  My Friday gig has gotten real boring to me.  I'm quickly losing interest and "the thrill is gone."....lol.....I have to make an effort to do it.  Not I want to do it.  At the moment I'm feeling that I'll have to force myself to do it tomorrow, and I feel obligated and know they're expecting me.  They're nice folks there, but I just don't feel it's a good fit for me anymore.  Maybe something will change,  but for now I'm real low on interest in it............  In contrast, my Wednesday gig has been a blast for going-on seven years now.  It's still fresh and fun for me.  Part of it has to be the atmosphere----lots of college students and different ones all the time, friendly regulars, and I always feel welcome there...............For sure, "things happen for a reason."  Somewhere down the road we find that reason.  Crazy how things work----we'll get bored playing a gig, but when we get bored or depressed at home, we'll pick-up a guitar.  Keep playing, buddy.  That feeling and need will return.

How many of the songs you play would be songs that either your partner wants to play and you have to  and how many are songs that 'the crowd like' ?

Completely understand the needing a break , is tough enough to find the energy necessary to gig while theres a proper job and a wife and just the rest of the world that unfortunately doesn't stop turning while you have a little fun. 

I get it..

I think there is something real with "too much of a good thing".  playing a few times a month didn't seem like a lot when I was much younger, but now, I just can't see myself doing that.

I got away from working the Duo, although I had fun with the guy I did that with, I was the only one sweating the details.  That got a little tiring.  Since then, I've done a hand full of solo gigs,   If I have three or four that pop up in a years time, with everything else in life, (grandkids, wife, vacations, work, just BEING)  that's plenty to keep me "in to it"

Maybe just step back the frequency a bit so that when you DO have a gig, it's been a while since the last, and you've got new tunes, and keeps it a bit fresher?

Don't take the World too serious, Sal.

I'm in hiatus right now. My duo is quite possibly done for good. Haven't done much for the last few months though and getting the itch a bit. I'm considering hosting some kind of jam/open mic but haven't figured out how or where. Or if I want to... I'm also considering doing an original solo project where I multi-track all of the instruments myself kind of like my Soundcloud channel. 

Relax and unwind.

5 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

is tough enough to find the energy necessary to gig while theres a proper job and a wife and just the rest of the world that unfortunately doesn't stop turning while you have a little fun. 

True dat....

29 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I get it..

I think there is something real with "too much of a good thing".  playing a few times a month didn't seem like a lot when I was much younger, but now, I just can't see myself doing that.

I got away from working the Duo, although I had fun with the guy I did that with, I was the only one sweating the details.  That got a little tiring.  Since then, I've done a hand full of solo gigs,   If I have three or four that pop up in a years time, with everything else in life, (grandkids, wife, vacations, work, just BEING)  that's plenty to keep me "in to it"

Maybe just step back the frequency a bit so that when you DO have a gig, it's been a while since the last, and you've got new tunes, and keeps it a bit fresher?

Ditto kidblast 

Much as I love the guys i played alongside over the years , i feel much happier on my own , surprising less stressful than with others , guess I'm much less worried about making a fluff on my own than when  someone else has their name on the poster too 

That and of course , no matter how nice the other person is , they ALWAYS have little foibles that should be nothing but get tiresomewhys it always me who seems to be rolling up the cables , or , jeez hes great at that tune but I hate playing it 

It's a real miracle to find a partner in music and get the absolute synchronicity necessary 

When I think about bands who've been together for decades it makes me think how lucky they are 

41 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

It's a real miracle to find a partner in music and get the absolute synchronicity necessary 

When I think about bands who've been together for decades it makes me think how lucky they are 

Man, you're on a roll.....

Sal, I´d like to hear you do more original songs. The ones you have posted here have all been fantastic. I especially remember one you wrote for a family who lost their son. Just stunningly good!

Why not devote some time to to setting up a good home studio and record those songs of yours? Maybe record an album of all originals? It's a facet of this hobby I would like to investigate more once my kids get older and there hopefully is more free time. Recording is fascinating, and songs like yours should be documented for the future.

Lars

Grunt,  That is truth.  the "Somebody's gotta do it" thing gets old.

The guy I duo'd with, we had and still have synchronicity.    We still jam and  we've been friends too long to let anything dent the friendship.  I just grinned and got thru it until I decided it was a hassle I didn't need.

I figure if he wants to take it out occasionally,  I am opened to it.  But he can make some the calls, and do the  prep work, and I'll go along for the ride.   I think that it won't take long for him to feel like I felt.   No hard feelings though,   We're still best buds, and will always be.

And you're quite right, there's a certain chemistry that exists among bands and musicians that have many years of playing together under their belts. 

QYep, I hear you. Ive done one gig in 2019 and it wasnt much fun. It just became repetitive and a bit like a job. I hated bringing and preparing all the gear.

like yourself i needed a break and fresh inspiration. I still do some open mikes and hosting an open mike / bbq party on my terrace with friends.

Take a break, get from 'have to' to 'get to'.   After a little pause I believe you'll start noodling on it again and start to remember what you like / want to play.  Might just be 5 mins here or there, but then some project will grab you and you'll be back in the saddle.  I'll echo Lars, hope it's an original.  In the meantime you should try fishing, bass fishing.

You might like a 2-3 day songwriting workshop. Mary Gauthier has spots left for one in July in Nashville. For me, it was less about workshop/craft than it was about inspiration and reflection. A change of pace and likely a worthy investment in your fine musical self.

(PM me if you’d like to hear more on my takeaways...)