Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson sends out a warning to copycats

Rabs

7 minutes ago, rct said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures, that's the only way I can see this.  By his reasoning, everybody would be out covering the logos on their cars in order to avoid "copyright infringement".  Cover the bank logo at the top of the professional sports stadium to avoid "copyright infringement"?  lolz

So, what do you think he meant by that comment? Honestly,  , like most people, always thought thaybhe taping over logos was done for copyright infringement purposes...probably because that issue has been at the forefront since the internet took off in the late 1990s. It's a reasonable conclusion for the layman, even if incorrect. This comment from Agnesi, not being a layman, seems really weird, and even weirder after your explaination.

37 minutes ago, RobinTheHood said:

...the way he phrased that comment implies that the taping over the logos is to avoid copyright infringement...

I think what Gibson should to to end this despicable, heinous practice of being seen to be playing a Gibson guitar is for Gibson to stop putting their logo on the peghead of their guitars in the first place. I mean, For Goodness' Sakes!!! Don't they realise that anyone can see their name if they put it in such a stupidly obvious place???

Pip.

Edited by pippy

1 minute ago, RobinTheHood said:

So, what do you think he meant by that comment? Honestly,  , like most people, always thought thaybhe taping over logos was done for copyright infringement purposes...probably because that issue has been at the forefront since the internet took off in the late 1990s. It's a reasonable conclusion for the layman, even if incorrect. This comment from Agnesi, not being a layman, seems really weird, and even weirder after your explaination.

I have no idea what he meant.  They took it down, that says something.  Perhaps he means that the consequence of using their guitars is that others can attempt to replicate one of the few things they actually can trade and service mark, that is, their logo?  Again that is ridiculous.  I am their best advertising. You are.  Everybody here is.  Everybody in front of one person or more, using their products is by far their best advertisement.  I don't wear Fender shirts or Gibson hats or Martin hoodies, I use their guitars, that's enough.  By his reasoning I should cover the headstocks of my guitars for "copyright infringement" purposes?  Think of every product you use that has as a consequence you being seen using it, and what, by his reasoning, would now be YOUR responsibility to prevent "copyright infringement".  I buy and wear Pumas and now I have to tape over the logo?  That should make you laugh.

7 minutes ago, pippy said:

I think what Gibson should to to end this despicable, heinous practice of being seen to be playing a Gibson guitar is for Gibson to stop putting their logo on the peghead of their guitars in the first place. I mean, For Goodness' Sakes!!! Don't they realise that anyone can see their name if they put it in such a stupidly obvious place???

Pip.

HA! 😆😆

As long as we're going with "What Would the Fonz Do?" model - which has its plusses - Everybody worth their leathers knows the Fonz was too cool to sue anybody.  Period.  Over anything.  He'd just say something cool and leave it at that.   😎

Acting like the Fonz - 😎

Sticking your foot in every door that happens to be open just to see if there's cash lying around in there -  🤓

Some of the above understandings of "taped-over logos" is completely wrong.   Television shows , commercials and movies have the ability to provide a LOT of advertising via  "product visibility", which is a very high-value commodity.  So ... the makers of these vehicles CHARGE the product company to have these company logos be seen.  Companies that do not want to pay  to have their logo seen end up having their logo covered up or blurred (because "no one rides for free").  As a general rule, almost every logo you see  in  movies, television and (especially) commercials) was paid for so you would see it.

• Upvote 1

Dean Reply  

“Gibson’s claims are entirely baseless”: Dean Guitars CEO responds to lawsuit

The parent company of Dean Guitars and Luna Guitars, Armadillo Enterprises, has responded to Gibson’s multi-million dollar trademark infringement lawsuit, as first reported on Guitar.com, robustly refuting Gibson’s allegations, and vowing to take the fight to Gibson in the courts.

In a letter sent out to Armadillo’s dealer network that has surfaced on Reddit, the company’s CEO and President, Evan Rubinson, told his commercial partners that he wanted to give “an accurate and complete story about Gibson’s claims, which we believe are entirely baseless, and alleviate any concerns Gibson’s unfortunate tactics may have caused you”.

In the letter, Rubinson notes that, “You may have received a letter from Gibson saying that it decided to ‘pursue actions’ against us in connection with the alleged ‘copying’ of the Flying V, Explorer, and ES-335 guitar shapes” and refers to “demands” made by Gibson in relation to the company’s V- and Z-shaped guitars that dealers may receive.

Rubinson describes Dean as a “43-year-old iconic American-based guitar company”, explaining that “Dean Guitars has been continuously offering the V- and Z-shaped guitars since at least 1976 – for over the past 40 years. These guitars have been widely seen and promoted for decades, including in popular music videos, on stages with famous artists across the globe, at trade shows, and other prominent industry events.”

He further claims, “Many other companies have been using these generic shapes for decades… we believe the alleged ‘Flying V’ and ‘Explorer’ shapes are unprotectable and Gibson’s trademark registrations should be invalidated.”

Continuing his strong counterargument to Gibson’s claims, Rubinson asserts that Armadillo will counter Gibson’s suit with actions of its own: “If Gibson pursues its claims, we will vigorously defend ourselves and seek to cancel Gibson’s alleged trademark registrations.”

Away from the controversy over the Explorer and Flying V trademarks, Rubinson also counters Gibson’s complaint towards Luna’s take on the ES style, confirming that the company is part of a consortium already taking legal steps to try to counter Gibson’s claims.

“Dean Guitars – together with a number of other guitar makers – have already initiated an opposition proceeding before the US Patent and Trademark Office in a collective industry effort to curb Gibson’s attempts to claim exclusive rights to this generic shape,” he says, referring to the ES-335 design.

Ending the letter to Armadillo’s dealers, Rubinson sounds a note of support for intellectual property rights, but reiterates his claims that Gibson’s claims are without merit.

“We respect and value the intellectual property rights of others,” he asserts. “But we also recognise that some things are just too common and basic for one company to claim as their own property.”

Read more about Gibson’s original lawsuit in our full breakdown of their claims and demands.

Gibson allegedly removed the video due to outrage over Gibson having the  audacity to suggest they are not happy other guitar makers copy their guitars. I guess it’s no longer politically correct to protect your intellectual property rights or your hard work developing your legacy for 100 plus years.

Mark worked at Norm's rare guitars. I bought my 335 from him/Norms last November (it's a used guitar shop). I asked for a 60's thin profile neck and he said they didn't have any but I should play the 63 reissue and I might like it.  63...... 60's thin profile...duh

He struck me as an acerbic kinda guy. I'm sure he went solo in his new position, made the video then the higher ups at Gibson said wtf?

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

This iconic bit is contagious, I see:

Rubinson describes Dean as a “43-year-old iconic American-based guitar company”.

Who else will step into the fray?  

Iconic post , Steve.

• Like 1

In the 30s, everybody, including Gibson, ripped off Electro String and made their own magnetic pickups in violation of the applied for patents. 

Once the (very late) patents were granted, the company never pursued the dozens of violations, probably because the lawsuits would bankrupt them before they saw any money back. Imagine if they (now Rickenbacker) could do that now?

Gibson seems to have priority  issues.

Instead of making great guitars in all priceranges they try to milk the market.

People who buy those so called not authentic guitars, either can’t afford the real deal or found a guitar that adds way more value for the money.

Anyone who really want’s a new Gibson will buy one, but maybe not more than one if the quality sucks and/or the pricing is to steep compared to the rest of the market.

40 minutes ago, Violator said:

Gibson seems to have priority  issues.  Instead of making great guitars in all priceranges they try to milk the market.

Really?.........:-k.........

Well, not wishing to start a bunfight but, here in the UK it's possible to buy a brand new 2019 Gibson Les Paul Junior DC for under £600 - which is pretty affordable - and all the way up from there so, apart from the very low-end entry-level guitars - which Gibson covers with their Maestro range - and the 'regular' entry-level - which Epiphone does a wonderful job in meeting, it's hard to say that Gibson doesn't make great guitars in all price ranges - IMO, of course.

YMMV.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Really?.........:-k.........

Well, not wishing to start a bunfight but, here in the UK it's possible to buy a brand new 2019 Gibson Les Paul Junior DC for under £600 - which is pretty affordable - and all the way up from there so, apart from the very low-end entry-level guitars - which Gibson covers with their Maestro range - and the 'regular' entry-level - which Epiphone does a wonderful job in meeting, it's hard to say that Gibson doesn't make great guitars in all price ranges - IMO, of course.

YMMV.

Pip.

Look at the alternatives.

I do have both Gibson as Epiphone guitars, but there are close to looking models at lower and in same pricerange which are as good and better.

Gibson should focus more on being the best option in it’s pricerange is all what I’m saying, neither should there be a need to do anything to have a £1500 + Gibson to stay in tune etc.

Gibsons legacy should not be about patents and shapes but about being the guitar that everyone want’s.

Edited by Violator
Added text

11 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I just crapped my pants at work and I'm wearing khakis! I don't know how I'm going  to leave the build without being noticed.  

What you REALLY need just now is a Copy-Cat with whom you could share and, in doing so, spread the blame.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Violator said:

Look at the alternatives.

I do have both Gibson as Epiphone guitars, but there are close to looking models at lower and in same pricerange which are as good and better.

Gibson should focus more on being the best option in it’s pricerange is all what I’m saying, neither should there be a need to do anything to have a £1500 + Gibson to stay in tune etc.

Gibsons legacy should not be about patents and shapes but about being the guitar that everyone want’s.

We're obviously not even remotely on the same wavelength and our experience in having $1500+ Gibsons staying in tune are, clearly, polar opposites but I do agree with your last sentence.

Pip.

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm fortunate in inhabiting a corner of the world where humidity /  'extremes' are unheard of but I'm never surprised that any of my guitars stay in tune. On the contrary I expect - nay! command!! - them to stay in tune. And they do. All of them; whether the 45-y-old Les Paul 'Lawsuit' copies; the Fenders, the assorted acoustic and jazz-box, the Custom Shop 'Burst reissues or whatever strays are lying about.

Perhaps I'm just really lucky?

Pip,