Gibson Brands Forums

Western Stars by Springsteen

JuanCarlosVejar

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I stay away from Bruce for the last 20 years or so because I know if he stops singing he might start talking and tell me what he thinks....

Not sure I understand that sentiment. His politics and worldview shape his music. You don't have one without the other. He comes from a long line of songwriters who tell stories of the world and people around them, as they are. It is what folk musicians have done for centuries.

Fortunately, your opinion is in the minority.

Edited by dhanners623

There's a generous closeup of this guitar on the CD booklet. He's also shown with another Gibson Super Jumbo with a plain pick guard. It has flowerpot on the heastock, block inlays, and double bar inlays on the bridge. No pick guard, I think. Maybe he put it on the other guitar, lol.

Red 333

Good songwriters react to the world around them, as they see and feel it. It has to eventually involve politics. I can't see how it couldn't. I think all good writers, who want to go beyond “ah do be do be da” work that way. Whether the listener agrees with the writer's view of the world, or not, well that's another story...

Great guitar, and beautiful song.

Lars

"Not sure I understand that sentiment. His politics and worldview shape his music. You don't have one without the other. He comes from a long line of songwriters who tell stories of the world and people around them, as they are. It is what folk musicians have done for centuries.  Fortunately, your opinion is in the minority."

So, you're a big fan of Barbara Streisand?    Then I would assume other artistic types, like  film maker Michael Moore?  

And the there's the example of the cast of Hamilton on Broadway - calling out the VP-elect in the audience. 

Rolling Thunder - at some performances  Dylan wore whiteface, or even a mask. One fan called out - "Hey, why the mask?"

Dylan's response -  "The lyrics speak for themselves."  

Edited by fortyearspickn
one letter typo ! they s'b then
  • Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, Jim Wilson said:
On 6/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, Jim Wilson said:

"SHUT UP AND SING" is a good policy for entertainers to follow.

Luckily for you there are some countries in the world where this "policy" of yours is actually law--and there's generally no line for citizenship to them if you'd like to apply.

Unluckily for the rest of us, a dismaying number of Western  politicians are starting to express admiration for such blatantly authoritarian, anti-democracy regimes.

17 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

So, you're a big fan of Barbara Streisand?    Then I would assume other artistic types, like  film maker Michael Moore?  

And the there's the example of the cast of Hamilton on Broadway - calling out the VP-elect in the audience. 

All of us have very selective memories about what we consider offensive statements by performers. As a lurker here for years I've noticed that a mention of someone like Springsteen is sure to evoke indignant responses from a predictable group of commenters, whereas nothing is ever said when someone gushes about the talent or music of Cat Stevens, though the latter is actually on record as supporting the death of a writer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens'_comments_about_Salman_Rushdie.

I don't mention this in an attempt to stir up anti-Muslim sentiment, or outrage Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam/Yusef fans, but simply because I think it's been shown to be rather dangerous to try to define what is "appropriate" for an artist to express, regardless of whatever the ideology motivating it may be.  Too many artists have actually been killed for saying what they think, in their work or outside it--but maybe this is on my mind as I just interviewed the daughter of one last week, Ken Saro-Wiwa, who was executed with 8 others after a sham trial by a right-wing military government working closely with Shell oil. His murder was no less appalling because it was committed on behalf of corporate/capitalistic interests than if it had been  done for the sake of religious or communist ones.

Of course no one is calling for the official "silencing" of anyone in this forum, I just find it interesting to see the indignation that inevitably flares up at the slightest mention of certain performers but not others. But I guess that's what social media is largely for: indignation--coming up irresistibly, like acid reflux belches. 

Though in this case, I'm not sure why it wasn't just focused on those double pick guards and how they MAY--or may NOT--be ruining that beautiful guitar's tone!

1 hour ago, stevendv said:

Luckily for you there are some countries in the world where this "policy" of yours is actually law--and there's generally no line for citizenship to them if you'd like to apply.

Unluckily for the rest of us, a dismaying number of Western  politicians are starting to express admiration for such blatantly authoritarian, anti-democracy regimes.

All of us have very selective memories about what we consider offensive statements by performers. As a lurker here for years I've noticed that a mention of someone like Springsteen is sure to evoke indignant responses from a predictable group of commenters, whereas nothing is ever said when someone gushes about the talent or music of Cat Stevens, though the latter is actually on record as supporting the death of a writer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens'_comments_about_Salman_Rushdie.

I don't mention this in an attempt to stir up anti-Muslim sentiment, or outrage Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam/Yusef fans, but simply because I think it's been shown to be rather dangerous to try to define what is "appropriate" for an artist to express, regardless of whatever the ideology motivating it may be.  Too many artists have actually been killed for saying what they think, in their work or outside it--but maybe this is on my mind as I just interviewed the daughter of one last week, Ken Saro-Wiwa, who was executed with 8 others after a sham trial by a right-wing military government working closely with Shell oil. His murder was no less appalling because it was committed on behalf of corporate/capitalistic interests than if it had been  done for the sake of religious or communist ones.

Of course no one is calling for the official "silencing" of anyone in this forum, I just find it interesting to see the indignation that inevitably flares up at the slightest mention of certain performers but not others. But I guess that's what social media is largely for: indignation--coming up irresistibly, like acid reflux belches. 

Though in this case, I'm not sure why it wasn't just focused on those double pick guards and how they MAY--or may NOT--be ruining that beautiful guitar's tone!

That was a set-up.

First the program he was featured on was called “Hypotheticals”  and everyone who participated was asked to speak “freely”

When asked  what he would do if the  writer was eating at the same restaurant ... Yusuf  replied “it depends on my mood, I may want to concentrate more on my meal”

further more he said “ I can’t answer the question very clearly”

the interviewer kept pressing so Yusuf resorted to saying other things based on muslim scripture.

Talking about something in a “hypothetical manner” isn’t calling for the death of anybody nor is it “supporting death”

The British press jumped at the chance to hurt Yusuf’s public perception because he was a muslim.They didn’t understand the religion at the time and it’s human nature to fear what we don’t understand.

Everyone who thinks he is some guy who wishes death upon others  probably doesn’t know that the name of the show was “Hypotheticals” and wasn’t meant to be taken literally rather  he was just stating what muslim scripture had to say about “capital offenses”.

Either way ... musicians should be judged by their music and not for their personal views or thoughts. 

JC

Reluctantly and foolishly chiming in here. I owe it to Bruce. I sure as heck cover enough of his songs.

I don’t believe in Shut Up And Play.  Voices and art are expression. Artists of course know they will alienate some listeners, perhaps forever, with content in some of their stories. That’s their art, and their risk. I’m ok with that too. 

Most of the music of our heroes has gone through progressions, as life has. It’s hard to sing My Generation credibly  at 70. Bruce’s music has gone from 17 and I gotta get outta this damn place ... to  the 90s Tom Joad help your fellow left behind man (Clinton was president)... to  the “9/11 album” The Rising (very powerful), and still evolving. Political voice like it or not is now stamped in the USA. 50-50 divided. 24-7 anger. It’s awesome.

Woodie. Dylan.  Fogarty. Mellencamp. Anti establishment. Anti corporate. Pro common man...  

I think Bruce is a genius song writer and story teller. I’ll love  and respect him always. While his bias may line up more with my own, that’s not the only reasoning. Heck I always will love the  Allman Brothers. I cover their stuff too. And even a CHARLIE Daniels tune.

i draw one line... one only.  Ryan Adams is purged.

Edited by ThemisSal

Steven,   I'm sorry if my post reminded you of an acid reflux belch, but not to extent I would  apologize for it.   I chose to comment on the statement 'Fortunately you are in the minority.'  because I felt it was an attempt to squelch a legitimate comment from another  forum member.  As far as the double pick guards -  I like them visually - balance, and all that.   But wouldn't want a second one on my SJ-200.    Like W.C.Fields said  "Women are like elephants, I like to look at them, but wouldn't want to own one." 

On 6/15/2019 at 8:02 AM, Murph said:

I stay away from Bruce for the last 20 years or so because I know if he stops singing he might start talking and tell me what he thinks....

well he'll do it anyway, but he'll be singing instead.

STEVENDV...At no time did I say that "SHUT UP AND SING" should be the law.  Methinks you are getting a little silly.  Forgive me for having an opinion that appears to differ from yours...I thought I lived in America.  Please give me a list of your most important opinions and I will give some thought to not violating them in the future.  GEEZ!!!

Here's the thing about the "Shut Up and Sing" crowd. Their concern only goes one way. They'll lambast Springsteen for expressing a political thought, but they say nothing when Ted Nugent says Hillary Clinton should be hung for treason and tells President Obama to "suck on my machine gun."

The SU&S crowd will complain when Steve Earle talks politics, but there's nary a peep when Charlie Daniels spouts anti-Muslim and xenophobic rhetoric.

So, yeah, when the SU&S folks start directing their wrath at people like Nugent and Daniels and, well, tell them to shut up and sing, I'll take them seriously. But it isn't really about shutting up and singing. It is about stifling dissent.

1 hour ago, dhanners623 said:

Here's the thing about the "Shut Up and Sing" crowd. Their concern only goes one way. They'll lambast Springsteen for expressing a political thought, but they say nothing when Ted Nugent says Hillary Clinton should be hung for treason and tells President Obama to "suck on my machine gun."

The SU&S crowd will complain when Steve Earle talks politics, but there's nary a peep when Charlie Daniels spouts anti-Muslim and xenophobic rhetoric.

So, yeah, when the SU&S folks start directing their wrath at people like Nugent and Daniels and, well, tell them to shut up and sing, I'll take them seriously. But it isn't really about shutting up and singing. It is about stifling dissent.

I don’t buy their music either (Charlie Or Ted). I don’t care who you are, if you start preaching, I ‘m done.

Given that Springsteen still sells plenty of records, it would appear plenty of folks are just fine with what he has to say. Like I said earlier, you guys are in the minority, thankfully. Enjoy your bland artists. I prefer mine with some bite, spine, passion and compassion, so I'll take Bruce and Woody.

School kids will still be singing "This Land is Your Land" decades after your bland acts become a footnote in history.