Gibson Brands Forums

On Humidity and Moisture Content

Leonard McCoy

I can't really believe a builder would say what he did. First, he's talking about two different things, moisture content in wood,  and air humidity. I do agree with him that too much humidity can be as bad as too little. But he seems to be saying that an instrument can't lose too much moisture to cause damage since it only has 10-12% moisture in it when first made into a guitar. That just doesn't compute....does he actually believe that a guitar sitting in an unconditioned environment like Arizona,  wouldn't dry out and crack from a lack of humidity? Obviously, that's a rhetorical question, just can't comprehend his thinking. I think Galileo would be upset that he's comparing himself to him because of this whacko thinking.......🤪 I do agree that most of us do over-obsess about humidity, but I can't believe anyone who builds instruments could possibly agree with his ideas.

Edited by Joe M

I agree, Joe.  The extremes of humidity wreak their own kind of havoc with instruments.  This man will never convince me that forced heat in winter does not cause severe drying of instrument woods, leading directly to cracking and requiring case and/or room humidification to avoid such problems.  Doubtless he has a lot of experience with instrument repair/building but no amount of experience can cover up a lack of common sense, which seems to have failed him on this issue.  Oh and good luck with that attic "kiln".

I agree that some people over obsess about it. I lived and gigged in Mesa/Phoenix Arizona in the 70's and nobody was talking about it.

I put a cheap kids room humidifier in this room 1 time in 15 years because I over-reacted due to a guitar forum.

I keep one eye on my 2 hygrometers, but that's about it anymore.

I think I will look after mine as I always have. Its dry here in the winter.  Summer its both. They each have there own tubes or pads and get attended to every 3 weeks. Im not a expert in trees but I have alot invested in Guitars. And thats where it stays as looking after my instruments. As for the video. His opinion is just his.