Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter buzzing??

hfd 403

Anyone had a songwriter (or other acoustic) begin to buzz only on one fret of one string. 10th fret of little e string if it matters to you. Not very old (2 years) and buzz only began a month ago. What would cause this? I had a takamine that did exactly the same thing on exactly the same fret. Must be heck of a coincidence.

thanks

might be worth the couple hundred or whatever it costs to have a good luthier do a proper set-up if you're getting fret buzz. just a thought.

Man for a setup that cost that much I better be getting some new frets, strings, bone nut and saddle cut and installed.

Typically a quick setup where they adjust the truss, maybe file the nut slots if needed and make a small adjustment to the saddle if needed should not run more than $30 to $40. I am lucky that my guy at the Podium in Minneapolis never seems to charge me for small adjustments like that. If I were to need a saddle cut or a nut replaced it would be more but still reasonable.

As to the OP's question, I would suggest that the humidity may be fluctuating in your area and causing the buzz. If it is low try keeping the guitar in it's case with a decent humidifier or two. Leave it alone for a few days, (Check the humidifiers to make sure they are still moistened) and at the end, see if it is better. I do know some people have "Winter" & "Summer" saddles for their guitars, but I never have to do that since I monitor the humidity and keep my guitars safe in their cases when not being played during the winter months when the humidity dips to the low 20% range.

Man for a setup that cost that much I better be getting some new frets' date=' strings, bone nut and saddle cut and installed.

[/quote']

I'm not sure what you go through on a set-up, but this link is a description of what I consider a full set-up:

http://www.philtone.com/plek.html

This guy is worth the money, best luthier I've seen. IMHO he's worth the $160, esp. if you've got issues like fret buzz. I have some friends that take every new purchase, electric or acoustic, to this guy. So yeah, I'm sure you can get by with a few bucks, I guess my point was that sometimes something like fret buzz, esp. on a new guitar, might be an indication that a full and detailed set-up might be worth it... that's the only point I was making...

I'm not sure what you go through on a set-up' date=' but this link is a description of what I consider a full set-up:

http://www.philtone.com/plek.html

This guy is worth the money, best luthier I've seen. IMHO he's worth the $160, esp. if you've got issues like fret buzz. I have some friends that take every new purchase, electric or acoustic, to this guy. So yeah, I'm sure you can get by with a few bucks, I guess my point was that sometimes something like fret buzz, esp. on a new guitar, might be an indication that a full and detailed set-up might be worth it... that's the only point I was making... [/quote']

Sorry stumps... I didn't realize you were talking about Pleking a guitar. Yes, that would cost a bunch. The guy I have set up all my guitars is the tech/luthier at the Podium in Minneapolis. See their website here:

Link to The Podium

The Podium pretty much specializes in high end acoustics and Marty the repair guy is one of the best in the business. When I got my Gibson AJ a couple years ago (used from the original owner) I brought it to Marty on a Saturday morning which is when he typically does setups for walk ins. I was 2nd in line that day. The guitar had not been played much by the original owner as he had several guitars at his place when I got it. It needed the action lowered for my fingerstyle type of play. I am so used to the Strat like playability of my Taylor 612 that the AJ seemed difficult to play when I first got it, but I knew the potential was there by the tone. Marty checked everything over, filed the nut slots a bit, tweaked the truss just right and made sure my saddle was good. It didn't take him long, only about 20 minutes when he handed it back to me. I played it and it made a huge difference it made. He didn't charge me a penny which amazed me, but it's also why they get all my business for strings, books and I did buy my Taylor there in 1994. ;)

I could see that sometimes simple things like that will eliminate a buzzing fret, especially during dry seasons. That is the type of setup I typically think of. I have never had a guitar Plekked but have heard about it and I know some people swear by it.

Archived