Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings All, Stonebridge Guitar question

Thumbs

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm 60 years young and have been playing for 55 years.  When I was nine my Dad purchased a ES-175 Gibson as a present because a Country Gospel band named Jim Copley and the Heavenly Heirs hired me as their lead guitarist.  My guitar idols are Chet, Merle, Thom Bresh, Keb Mo, Muddy Waters, SRV etc..  I stayed with the band until joining the Marines in 1977.   Served 30 years and now work for Uncle Sam as an Electronics Engineer.  I just purchased a Stonebridge and would like some suggestions on strings.  The guitar came with 12 to 56  bronze strings .   I would like to try a lighter set but would like to keep the G string wound for tone, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm 60 years young and have been playing for 55 years.  When I was nine my Dad purchased a ES-175 Gibson as a present because a Country Gospel band named Jim Copley and the Heavenly Heirs hired me as their lead guitarist.  My guitar idols are Chet, Merle, Thom Bresh, Keb Mo, Muddy Waters, SRV etc..  I stayed with the band until joining the Marines in 1977.   Served 30 years and now work for Uncle Sam as an Electronics Engineer.  I just purchased a Stonebridge and would like some suggestions on strings.  The guitar came with 12 to 56  bronze strings .   I would like to try a lighter set but would like to keep the G string wound for tone, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Well I'm sure you know way more about Acoustic Guitars  than I do. Playing that long.  I started playing at 13 and am 66 now  but I have more electric guitar experience. I'm sure you know about all the string gauges and pros and cons with lights and heavy gauges. The guitar body size and playing styles so no need to talk about those things. Lights would be a step down with .012-.016-.025-.032-.042-.054 Or Custom lights, .011-.015-.023-.032-.042-.052. Or if you desire a certain gauge light and medium you could buy 2 sets and  use the gauges you want.  Thats what I was about to do before I found a set on the Internet with all the gauges I wanted.  I could still bend strings and have the medium tones of the upper 3. Good luck. 

6 hours ago, Retired said:

Welcome to the forum. Well I'm sure you know way more about Acoustic Guitars  than I do. Playing that long.  I started playing at 13 and am 66 now  but I have more electric guitar experience. I'm sure you know about all the string gauges and pros and cons with lights and heavy gauges. The guitar body size and playing styles so no need to talk about those things. Lights would be a step down with .012-.016-.025-.032-.042-.054 Or Custom lights, .011-.015-.023-.032-.042-.052. Or if you desire a certain gauge light and medium you could buy 2 sets and  use the gauges you want.  Thats what I was about to do before I found a set on the Internet with all the gauges I wanted.  I could still bend strings and have the medium tones of the upper 3. Good luck. 

Thanks Retired,

After searching the internet today, I come to the same conclusion.  Looks like I'll have to purchase 2 or 3 sets and play around with the gauges.  I was trying to find a way to bend those first three strings at least a step without sacrificing tone.   Can't bend those strings like I used to.

Thanks