Gibson Brands Forums

open invite'- anyone got a version of City of New Orleans? Warning: old Gibson LG-2 content

62burst

'Been thinking about the song since people were tossing out ideas for Sal's '60's gig. Looking for other ideas on the song, but I just put this into the iPhone:

1949 LG-2 (yes, that one)

feel free to put up a take of this Steve Goodman song if you'd like.

Edited by 62burst
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, great song.....and you "do it justice."  Nice strong beat.  Just the kind of song that friends play and sing together.  I'm a life-long fan of trains and the songs about them and this is one of my top favorites.  Lots of big names did their own renditions of it...............even little and unknown names did it.  Great coffeehouse song.   I did this several trips-around-the-sun ago.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for putting those up, Larry and David. Mo'Pick- exactly what I'm looking for- some different takes on the rhythm.. (there's a fine version of Willie and Sheryl Crow on the YouTube).  No surprise yours has a Johnny Cash feel to it. And, what a beautiful Hummingbird, too.

'Had not heard those tunes of Steve Goodman's, David. . . delivery and melody along the lines of Cat Stevens, or just how some melodies could twist back in the day. And the little Gibson sound was there in spades.

Goodman was a great talent.  Of those who know about him (and there are not that many), he's known primarily as a super songwriter, but both Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson who knew him very well  and often took him on-tour with their roadshows, said that he was so good that they would rather not be the act that followed him on-stage.

20 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Goodman was a great talent.  Of those who know about him (and there are not that many), he's known primarily as a super songwriter, but both Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson who knew him very well  and often took him on-tour with their roadshows, said that he was so good that they would rather not be the act that followed him on-stage.

And he wrote the Cubs victory song as well !

Nice jobs, gent!! Also, I very much liked the added touch of harmonica. Great accompanymemt. 

I played this one on the front porch just this past Friday. I started tracking for this song once maybe 7-8 years ago. I'm pretty sure I stopped in disgust with my singing.  

11 hours ago, billroy said:

Gotta rock what you got, would love to hear a PB version - put something down!

That's true, Bill. . . If PatriotsBiker had this one planted in his head, and had started  recording it years ago, and  had recently played it on the porch, well he's surely gone through a few versions of City. o. N.O. And since the OP was looking for some different approaches to what is usually played as a Standard folk song, in a roughly standard way, surely Billroy could come up with something on the J-45 V that would get the chicken's attention. 

Of course, would love 'Woof to let us know what a mando part would sound like for the song. . . but that's as if wishes were horses.

Edited by 62burst

3 hours ago, billroy said:

Gotta rock what you got, would love to hear a PB version - put something down!

I found it. Ugly as can be as it was as I was learning to play.  10 years and 16 days ago. Train wrecks (appropriately enough)  and a cough 1/2 way through. I mean, this is ugly and downright shameful. Do yourselves a favor and don't open it. Scarred forever you will be. Except billroy. He has to listen to the whole thing. LOL

Crap, forgot the link. Shameful rendition

Edited by PatriotsBiker

Lol, PB. Well, you're a good sport for putting that up- we've all got those "just starting to play recordings", or those late night, having-too-much -fun-with-the-boys "blackmail tapes". You also could've rationalized it with that serious health issue that you'd previously mentioned you'd climbed your way back from, but you didn't. 

And I "got" the rhythm that you were going for in that recording. Thanks for playing along.

10 hours ago, 62burst said:

That's true, Bill. . . If PatriotsBiker had this one planted in his head, and had started  recording it years ago, and  had recently played it on the porch, well he's surely gone through a few versions of City. o. N.O. And since the OP was looking for some different approaches to what is usually played as a Standard folk song, in a roughly standard way, surely Billroy could come up with something on the J-45 V that would get the chicken's attention. 

Of course, would love 'Woof to let us know what a mando part would sound like for the song. . . but that's as if wishes were horses.

I'll put it on the list, but still in the middle of my guitar hiatus due to wussboy arm issues, but once back up in the saddle, I will do it for the chickens!   I'll second the call out for Woof, Murph  rocks the mando  as well - bet he'd have a cool rendition.  BK...  where are you, you should be able to strum up something?

9 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I found it. Ugly as can be as it was as I was learning to play.  10 years and 16 days ago. Train wrecks (appropriately enough)  and a cough 1/2 way through. I mean, this is ugly and downright shameful. Do yourselves a favor and don't open it. Scarred forever you will be. Except billroy. He has to listen to the whole thing. LOL

Crap, forgot the link. Shameful rendition

I like it, appreciate you posting, and listened to it through to the end, twice!  definitely a few years earlier than your other stuff but shows progression.  I really would love to hear you put this down  again - love your voice and would love to hear how you progressed from this recording. If your just sitting around with nothing to do - here's a homework assignment for you 🙂

hehe - yes, gents, that one was tough to hear, but not as bad as some others I stumbled across. "Rolling and Tumbling Blues" was particularly bad. Just imagine my 'skill' at the time with a slide and trying to channel my inner R.L. Burnside.  It's really criminal, and that's without posting it anywhere. 😄   Ironically enough, I busted out the epi-dobro this weekend, too, and did that one and the Rolling Stones "You Got the Silver".

If this whole music journey had been anything, It's been both therapeutic and fun.  I would be a much better guitar player if I focused on just playing more, but doing what I do really fits me well.