Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone seen a LP Special II with this finish?

gearhead

I bought my girl a Special II at GC for $75 for Christmas. Pretty straight guitar. But the finish is unusual. The only other guitars I have found pics of online with anything similar were some Special II's that came in player packs. I believe it is a 1998, it has one of those early serial numbers that won't quite decode. The neck plate has serial # 098031013. I think the first digit should be an "O" instead of a zero. And has "Gibson" on the truss rod cover. It doesn't have a Custom Shop emblem on the back of the headstock. Any ideas of what this finish is, or what years they used it?

754994881_IMG_20190508_004606(Medium).thumb.jpg.1181a3de2acae3d7e20c8bb718f9cbcb.jpg

Thats a weird one. The first digit looks like a zero to me, but that would make it a 2009, which it  is not. If the first digit is the letter O, then this would be a 1998 made in the Choice, Korea factory, which makes more sense, given the style of neck plate and the gibson truss cover.  As for the finish, I have no idea. It looks like an unfinished, or highly faded, vintage sunburst. What ever it is, it was never an official color for Epiphone that I am aware of. Sometimes they did special finishes for very select markets. I am familiar with many, but have never seen this before.