Gibson Brands Forums

Pitch

uncle fester

I start every day singing this.  Falsetto is the gateway to the rest of your range.  Breathe out hard when you sing. 

Of course, my wife left me and my dog died, but I still work on it.

Edited by jedzep

11 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Nice that Anne 

But THIS is how the songs done 

Yes, quite nice...but I prefer still the drive of the Boys’ arrangement. There’s  a gravitas that a cappella arrangements never quite achieve, imo. This is tops, for sure, but I like my nostalgia dark (and don’t take my coffee with sugar, either).

But then, I’m a Pole from Chicago, so what do I know? 😅

Just a 'thinking out loud' update - I've been doing my 'pitch' exercises for about 10 days.  For most part I've been using the guitar tuner and guitar to play a note and try and match it with mmy voice etc...  yesterday for the first time I was able to play the open string notes on a guitar and match it per my voice (for the most part).  I've also got a couple droning songs I can now consciously say I'm on key...  or at least close, which is also enabling me to add volume.   Don't really have a clear path to where I'm going with this but have to believe it should translate somewhat into an improved  performance.

Back to the reason I've started focusing on voice (except for need... ) was a sore arm / elbo.  Taking time off, doing my fruit loopy yoga stretching etc... is working, but it's still an issue.  Was talking with my wife about it and she hands me a tube of cream, CBD oil stuff.  Not sure the pain is less but I do feel hungry. 

14 minutes ago, kwalker201 said:

What Cash tune you working on?

God's gonna cut you down.  Key of A, goes up to E and down to G in a couple spots, not many - just right for practice.  I think of my kids little league coach when I'm singing it, and it helps me get the right tone 🙂

2 hours ago, billroy said:

God's gonna cut you down.  Key of A, goes up to E and down to G in a couple spots, not many - just right for practice.  I think of my kids little league coach when I'm singing it, and it helps me get the right tone 🙂

That’s actually a real tough one to sing.  I do it in Em, with a D in it.  (Without a a B7 in it, instead going to the same D where it seems a B7 might be.)  But, use the key best for your singing.   In that song it’s all about getting the phrasing and timing right, at least to me.  I had to work a bit on that one until I got it a few years ago.  It’s a great song, especially Cash’s version.  

You might want to check out some other versions of it to put Cash’s version in perspective.  There’s an Elvis version of it that’s a lot faster called Run On and there is an Odetta version (possibly the original of the recorded version) that might also be called Run On.

You picked the perfect song to work on timing, phrasing, and pitch.  Don’t forget to leave some space in your singing, too, while your guitar continues to play keeping the same time.  Cash does that in his.  Space can be as important as the singing when it’s done in the most effective spots.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff 

16 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

That’s actually a real tough one to sing.  I do it in Em, with a D in it.  (Without a a B7 in it, instead going to the same D where it seems a B7 might be.)  But, use the key best for your singing.   In that song it’s all about getting the phrasing and timing right, at least to me.  I had to work a bit on that one until I got it a few years ago.  It’s a great song, especially Cash’s version.  

You might want to check out some other versions of it to put Cash’s version in perspective.  There’s an Elvis version of it that’s a lot faster called Run On and there is an Odetta version (possibly the original of the recorded version) that might also be called Run On.

You picked the perfect song to work on timing, phrasing, and pitch.  Don’t forget to leave some space in your singing, too, while your guitar continues to play keeping the same time.  Cash does that in his.  Space can be as important as the singing when it’s done in the most effective spots.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff 

I've gotta say this scares me a little bit because the canvas I'm painting on is very scaled back and basic.  The Cash version hooked me, but I've found a couple other versions that have helped me along, I'll check out the Elvis version, just because I've got a costume and it would make for a good vid.

Space in singing, yes - thank you :)!

16 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Nice! I like that tune. I look forward to hearing. is it gonna be part of the concerts for chickens series?  🙂  

The chicken series - I like it!

15 hours ago, kwalker201 said:

You gonna use some slide with that tune?

Not yet, no bells and whistles until I get the basics, but I like the idea of trying it on a  slide once I get it down (probably a 3 string slide guitar - because I love the basic goodness of the sound)

Hey folks - here's my plan, by mid August I will put out a version Cash' Gods Gonna Cut You Down' .  Can I interest anyone in doing it chain letter format, have you folks put out versions (gives you a month to prepare, and doubt most of you need a fraction of that).  Will be happy with just music cuts, but I think video format dressed appropriately would be best.

This will give me time to hone what I'm honing - shooting for 'well it's a little better than awful' and see if any of my self made curriculum translates to a better performance.  

-------

FYI - last couple times I tried kicking something like this off it went over like a fart in church, so not expecting much - but you don't catch 100% of the fish you don't try for.  And it gives me a sly reason to put out my version 🙂

On 6/22/2019 at 3:57 AM, blindboygrunt said:

Nice that Anne 

But THIS is how the songs done 

Theres’ a gospel song called “He Looked Beyond My Faults” thats the exact same tune, but I play it as an instrumental instead of a vocal only piece. Never thought of singing that song with no music🧐