Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting Mongrel 1950 J-45 on Reverb

bayoubengal1954

It obviously was previously owned by someone who was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Finish sanded down, etc. Given all that it sounds pretty darn good to my ears in the video. If Randy Woods were to state that it doesn’t need a neck reset, then the new asking price of $2495 is not too bad. Get it down near 2K and things could get interesting. It reminds me a bit of my ‘48 Frankenstein J-50, so I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for this one.😀

Not in the market though. It’s in South Carolina, FYI.

https://reverb.com/item/20086165-a-true-player-gibson-j-45-1950-natural

Edited by bayoubengal1954

It looks pretty rough to me Pat. Yours was "controlled" rough, plus you got to play it first. My guess is that in the 4 months he has had it listed, he turned down at least 1 (of the 5 he's had) offer he should have taken. I think I'd save up another $700-1000 and dive into something a bit cleaner.

5 hours ago, aliasphobias said:

It looks pretty rough to me Pat. Yours was "controlled" rough, plus you got to play it first. My guess is that in the 4 months he has had it listed, he turned down at least 1 (of the 5 he's had) offer he should have taken. I think I'd save up another $700-1000 and dive into something a bit cleaner.

All good points, ap. That stain on the top probably put stars in my eyes. 😉