Gibson Brands Forums

Farida first impressions

dhanners623

Picked up my new Farida OT-22 yesterday. It is their take on an LG-2. I had ordered the guitar last week while I was in Texas and had it delivered straight to St. Paul Guitar Repair so they could remove the pickguard and make a lefty one, and do any other set-up work that needed to be done. I arrived in St. Paul yesterday and went to pick it up.

After playing it last night and this morning, my first impression is, "Wow!" I don't have much experience with smaller-bodied guitars but I really like the sound out of this one. It is articulate, has great tone and powerful volume. The build quality is excellent, and Farida (unlike, say, Martin...) can actually nail a sunburst.

It came strung with lights, but Elderly assures me it can handle mediums. After inspecting the guitar, Kevin at SPGR concurred that it would be fine with mediums so I had him set it up for them. Plays great. (He said it came perfectly set up for lights.) He's spent a lifetime repairing great guitars and he said he was impressed with the guitar, especially for its price -- $423.

Aside from the pickguard switch, my only mod so far is I switched out the black plastic bridge pins for some ebony pins. Would've switched out the plastic endpin for wood, too, but after fiddling with it for a couple of minutes, Kevin couldn't get the darn thing out so I told him I'd live with it.

Here's a test run:

Edited by dhanners623

Sounds good to me, interesting you just flip it and keep the light strings on top...  sheer craziness.  

The overall impression I've developed of these (w/o actually having tried one) is they're good sounding instruments (and again yours sounded good here), but need a heightened level of care at least in humidity mgt and I'm a little (happily) surprised no one was concerned with mediums.  None of this is scientific just my thoughts.  Good luck with it.

13 minutes ago, billroy said:

Sounds good to me, interesting you just flip it and keep the light strings on top...  sheer craziness.  

The overall impression I've developed of these (w/o actually having tried one) is they're good sounding instruments (and again yours sounded good here), but need a heightened level of care at least in humidity mgt and I'm a little (happily) surprised no one was concerned with mediums.  None of this is scientific just my thoughts.  Good luck with it.

Yeah, I think if I were returning to Kuwait, I'd be nervous. (That said, my other two guitars did well there, although they were constantly humidified.)

Later this summer, we're moving to Casablanca so I'll have the opposite problem. The average relative humidity there is 77 percent, and it doesn't appear there are any big monthly fluctuations. It always hovers a little above or below 80 percent. So that'll be a new challenge.

37 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

Sounds great 

What's the song ? One of yours or a cover ?

Thanks. The tune is "Let it Go," and it is one of mine. Wanting to breathe some new life into it, I recently changed it to first-person and liked the way it worked. This is the new-and-improved version.