Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Guitars Have you owned?

16 minutes ago, slimt said:

Most in my collection 12 years ago was 1200 guitars, since that time up to now ,down to around 500  most are vintage and early 90s custom shop Gibson & Martin Acoustics 

Mind. Blown.🤯 The most guitars contest I mentioned earlier, you’re the obvious winner so far🥇🏆 With that many guitars you might invest in a couple extra sets of arms to help you play them all, and mine are available😉😂

On the world wide web you can own as many guitars as you say you have. 😉

I would have to guess I have owned around 35 in my life mostly Fenders. I currently have 12 guitars to include a mandolin, lap steel guitar, and a Persian sitar 

Edited by Big Bill

Over the years, I have owned just under 60 guitars in total (including bass guitars, electrics, lap steels, and acoustics). 

I currently own 19 guitars. 

This includes two bass guitars, two acoustics, a cigar box guitar, a hand-made banjo-shaped acoustic, and a ukulele. 
But the other 12 are full-on electric guitars. 

I'm an addict. 

Oh, and on my 60th birthday next month, I'll be up to 20. 

Yeah. 
I'm definitely an addict. 

😞

9 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Over the years, I have owned just under 60 guitars in total (including bass guitars, electrics, lap steels, and acoustics). 

I currently own 19 guitars. 

This includes two bass guitars, two acoustics, a cigar box guitar, a hand-made banjo-shaped acoustic, and a ukulele. 
But the other 12 are full-on electric guitars. 

I'm an addict. 

Oh, and on my 60th birthday next month, I'll be up to 20. 

Yeah. 
I'm definitely an addict. 

😞

you'll be up to 19 because a ukulele aint a guitar!

Yeah.

I'm definitely a pedant. 😉

On 6/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, slimt said:

Most in my collection 12 years ago was 1200 guitars, since that time up to now ,down to around 500  most are vintage and early 90s custom shop Gibson & Martin Acoustics 

That’s mind boggling. I’d love to see all those J200’s lined up. It would take me a couple weeks just to sample them. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a348836325c2c32
183044.png

Interesting, Sparky...

That seemed just plain wrong to me - they might be the same general shape but there the similarity ends - so I had a look to see how a ukulele was defined in my old copy of Chambers' dictionary and it used the phrase '..like a small guitar, usually featuring four strings..."  and was further described as being "...of Portuguese origin, popularised in Hawaii in the late 19th century...."  which, I guessed, was slightly more accurate than the definition you found on-line.

BUT...then I had a bit of a think about what, exactly, is a guitar? Sounds a simple question but is it? What defines a guitar? The shape? The size / scale-length? The number of strings? The method of construction?  Guitars come in all shapes. They come in a wide variety of sizes. They can have either 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 strings that I know about and possibly other numbers as well. They can be hollow; semi-hollow; solid. They can be acoustic, acoustic-electric or electric.

So I put Chambers away and dragged-down The Hutchinson Encyclopedia of Music and here's how that august tome defines a guitar;

"A string instrument of great antiquity. It's back is flat, its belly has a waist as though to allow for the playing with a bow but the strings are plucked with the fingers or a plectrum....The finger-board is fretted. The modern classical guitar has six strings."

For good measure here is their definition of a ukelele (and note the spelling! Not uku- but uke-);

"A small Hawaiian guitar introduced to the Sandwich Islands by the Portuguese in 1877 and more recently into Europe as a popular instrument. It has four gut strings and can be played from a notation resembling lute tablature."

So there we (sort-of) are; a ukelele - by both of these definitions - is classified as a guitar.  Surprised me a bit!

Anyhow; 19 or 20 still seems a fine number to have lying around the house! Pics of the new one when it arrives, of course!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

imageproxy.php?img=&key=5a348836325c2c32
183044.png

😜

Ok ya got me fair 'n square man. I accept  the dictionary description. 

Its odd though that some of us are happy about owning a lot of guitars and want to include everything. Others (like myself,) are a bit embarrassed and even exclude basses from the count just to play it down. I just think I have too many guitars and see it as a 'problem.' Albeit a quite nice problem 🙂

• Upvote 1

I just know that I am proud and happy to count Pippy and Merciful Evans among my guitar-owning, guitar-playing friends. 

🙂

PS Oh, and I came home from a long weekend drive to and from a Wedding with another guitar, a copy of a Fender 12-string electric Strat-body. 

Photos tomorrow. 
😞

• Upvote 2

I couldn't tell you how many guitars I've owned over the years. Maybe 30 or so. I have 12 right now. My Gibsons are 4 Les Pauls and 3 Flying V's. Others owned are a Dixon V, Ibanez Jiva, Fender American Pro Strat, Oscar Schmidt classical and Conrad parlor guitar.

I rotate my electrics out for different gigs, usually taking at least two with me in case of a string break or other issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Including hollownecks and reso's, I have owned 46. I have three right now (Gibson J35 Fuller's, Collings D1T, Blueridge BR240A) and no plans to change that other than possibly getting a Lake Placid Blue Tele with a wide neck.

Edited by Fidalgo

Seems like about five years ago when I tried to figure out how many guitars I'd owned up to that point, it was around 125.

Some have come & gone since then, and currently it stands at 31 guitars & 2 mandolins.

I feel fortunate to own the variety of acoustics & electrics that I have, and find it tonally inspiring to switch from one guitar to another.

It's all good!  

• Upvote 1