Gibson Brands Forums

Correct tuners for 87 Les Paul Standard

SamThe Man

I recently bought an '87 Les Paul Standard and the tuners, which I don't think are original (see pic) are shot. Does anyone know what the original tuners would be and look like? Hopefully they are still available for purchase, otherwise what would be the modern day equivalent?  Thanks for your help.

IMG_2154 sm.jpg

Not sure if yours are the originals - they might be?  It looks like they have a Schaller "S" on them.  Usually Gibson used Kluson Deluxe tuners that look very similar to yours.

About that time (maybe 1990) I bought a Gibson SG that wouldn't stay in tune.  It was due to the nut not being cut quite right, and poor wrapping of the strings on my part - but I though it was bad tuners, so I bought a replacement set.  I solved the problem before ever changing the tuners and I still have them.  They are marked as "Gibson Deluxe" and came in a package that says "Genuine Replacement Parts" and came from Gibson Strings and Accessories out of Elgin, Illinois.

In any case you can get replacement tuners from the Gibson store on this site, or most big box guitar shops like Guitar Center or Sam Ash would carry something that should work.  If you strike out I'll sell you mine - they've been on the shelf for 30 years or so, but now they are "vintage" 🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

The original tuners would probably be the Gibson Deluxe keystone tuners which you can order from Gibson to this date. I imagine the owner swapped them for the Schaller's because they didn't work very well at the time.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Thanks for the help. I did a little more research and all the pics of '87's I've seen have "Gibson Deluxe" stamped on the casings.  But I think I'm going to go with Grover 135 tuners if they are an exact fit. I like the Grover lifetime guarantee  because I'm using this guitar to play out and need reliable tuners. I just don't want to modify the guitar.  Sent an email to Grover to confirm the fit.

Sam, save your money and keep the Schaller, they are great tuners.  I like them better than the Gibson Deluxe and I don't see the advantage of the Grover over the Schaller. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by pauloqs

4 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Grover tuners only have on screw attaching them to the head stock, so you will have exposed screw holes from the Schallers...

I think people were were referring to the Grover ones that are similar to the Gibson Deluxe, like these

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pauloqs said:

I think people were were referring to the Grover ones that are similar to the Gibson Deluxe, like these

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

Ahh I see!! (said the blind man)

I wish Grover would come out with a one hole version to put on my LP Standard.