Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite guitar (And the one that got away)

Whats your favorite guitar that you own/owned and what guitar do you most regret selling or not buying?  I know its a hard choice for alot (myself included) but if you can think of one (acoustic, electric, or one of each, and maybe your favorite gibson too since its the gibson forum) I think it would be interesting to hear, and it may help some people decide on what their next guitar might be too🤷‍♂️. I guess Ill start- Its very hard to choose just one, but I guess I may have to choose my Custom Martin DC Aura, and my ‘92 Dove is very, VERY close. Actually I think I change which one is my favorite every day. The one I wish I hadn’t let get away was a 3 of 3 Custom Santa Cruz f model acoustic for $1,200. Looking forward to seeing alot of cool guitars posted on this thread!

Edited by TheLeadFlatpick

Favourite is a Ric 650. It neck dives, has a baseball bat neck and I've had a pickup die inexplicably (had to be replaced at my expense). It still sounds and plays better than anything else though.

Favourite Gibson: ES-339 Studio 

Regret? I regret getting shot of nothing (including the Fender I had for 23 years).

CytuY6T.jpg

fBa0yYh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nive-looking Ric! I've never managed to get the hang of their necks nor their 'boards.

Where's the snap of the Fender, m-e?......:-k......

Best electric ever owned is, rather predictably, my 1995 R0.  If we're llowed to post our favourite acoustic as well then it must be my early '40s Antoine di Mauro 'Modele Special Chorus'.  One I sort-of regret selling is the '64 Strat I had for 24 years.

Marmalade-2015-zps5xmdsobd.jpg

Antoine-Di-Mauro-Special-Chorus-zpsvbzdf

Mewith-LP-Bluein85v2lo-res.jpg

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pippy said:

Nive-looking Ric! I've never managed to get the hang of their necks nor their 'boards.

Where's the snap of the Fender, m-e?......:-k……

Pip.

I don't think I have a pic of the Fender (not digital anyway). It was an early 70s S/B Strat with a maple neck. I'm sure you have the image now. Yours looks better. Almost certainly played better too. Mine played like a pig.

The Ric 650 does not have the child sized 41.4mm (1.63") neck width. Instead it has a very wide 44.45 mm (1 3/4'') which is perfect for me. Also the bridge permits string spacing adjustment, so no more pulling the string off the edge!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I don't think I have a pic of the Fender (not digital anyway). It was an early 70s S/B Strat with a maple neck. I'm sure you have the image now. Yours looks better. Almost certainly played better too. Mine played like a pig.

The Ric 650 does not have the child sized 41.4mm (1.63") neck width. Instead it has a very wide 44.45 mm (1 3/4'') which is perfect for me. Also the bridge permits string spacing adjustment, so no more pulling the string off the edge!

Oh, I think I can imagine what the Strat looked like. A bit like the one far right ('72 / '73 I think) here in a snap from c. 1982. Snazzy duvet cover......[blush]......

The Strat in question here played really well. It was the backup to the '64. Also in the snap is an early '57 reissue and the Daphne Blue was a Tokai. These both went as did the '59 Fiesta red which was a dog. The '72 / 3 took over from the '59 and was better by a factor of 10.

Guitarsonbedlo-res-1.jpg

Interesting to hear about the wider neck'd Ric. Are they common?

Pip.

Edited by pippy

21 minutes ago, pippy said:

Oh, I think I can imagine what the Strat looked like. A bit like the one far right ('72 / '73 I think) here in a snap from c. 1982. Snazzy duvet cover......[blush]......

The Strat in question here played really well. It was the backup to the '64. Also in the snap is an early '57 reissue and the Daphne Blue was a Tokai. These both went as did the '59 Fiesta red which was a dog. The '72 / 3 took over from the '59 and was better by a factor of 10.

Guitarsonbedlo-res-1.jpg

Interesting to hear about the wider neck'd Ric. Are they common?

Pip.

The wider necks are the 650 (mine) and the 660. Both are in production. 

The 660 is the regular full bling Ric (checkboard binding, toaster pups etc).

The 650 is almost like a 'studio' model. Cheaper and plain, but with 24 frets (660 has 21)  and mini-humbuckers (exactly the same as on the 4000 series bass). Its an odd fish.

I like the looks of your black Mustang. I've been so tempted by these (and the Duo Sonics) for quite a while now. How do you rate the sound of these shorter scale Fenders Pip?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

The 650 is almost like a 'studio' model. Cheaper and plain, but with 24 frets (660 has 21)  and mini-humbuckers (exactly the same as on the 4000 series bass). Its an odd fish.

I like the looks of your black Mustang. I've been so tempted by these (and the Duo Sonics) for quite a while now. How do you rate the sound of these shorter scale Fenders Pip?

The 650 sounds intriguing. I should see if any of the London dealerships have one in stock and have a go on one.

And on the subject of 'odd fish'.........the 'Mustang' is actually a very short-lived (pre-?) production Fender model. In his 1983 book on the Fender Guitar Donald Bronsac introduces the model with the words "This is Fender's Mystery guitar...".  It is known by various names. When I bought it (1980) it was referred to as a Fender 'Arrow'. I've heard it being called a 'Musiclander' but officially it seems to have been intended to be named the 'Swinger'. The confusion arises because the peghead on most surviving examples (apparently) has only the CBS-style 'Fender' waterslide. The only instruments which have a name decal were the ones which had a 'Swinger' sticker but these were adhesive stickers and were applied over the lacquer and most instruments (apparently) have lost these labels. In the book Bronsac states they were made in 1969 but the neck stamp of mine was dated 9 Jan 67. If you want more info send me a PM.

It sounded rubbish, to be perfectly frank. Like the neck p'up of a weedy 1/4-strength Telecaster on a bad day. I kept it because it was a bit of fun unplugged, very comfortable to play - it has the back cutaway like a Strat - and with that scooped-out rear-end and it's really quite a rare thing. I was as good as swindled out of it by a London dealership one day when times were tough.  I knew I was being shafted but at the time 'Needs Must' was the order of the day. Many years later I saw an article in a guitar mag which featured a collector with his group of half-a-dozen (I think) Swingers which he had acquired over the years crowing about how he had managed to get them all for peanuts because no-one knew what they were. It was the same guy who owned the shop which swindled me. Usually I forgive and forget but not this time and not with this guy.

A better picture of someone else's Swinger;

04-Fender-Musiclander-3983-1200-RGB-thum

If you do get either a Mustang or Duo-Sonic and don't rate the sound the p'up(s) can be changed in no time for something far better. I have always liked the Duo-Sonic myself ever since I saw a maple-necked pre-CBS one being played by Patti Smith.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 2

Right now, it's hard to choose my favorite. It would be between a 2007 American Series Tele with new Fralin Steel Pole 42s, or a 2008 LP Standard, or a 2009 Carvin SH550.

oKMVOE0.jpg

The one that got away was "my grandfather's" early '60s, mint condition, Guild Starfire that was being sold at a flea market for $200. Didn't have enough cash or a check on me at the time. 

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 2

My favorite guitar? One I had the Parker factory customize for me. Parker DF522NN (NN for Notes Norton):

• Two Duncan P-Rail pickups with triple shot rings give me P90, Rail, Series Humbucker, and Parallel Humbucker tones
  • Piezo under the bridge lets me blend acoustic tones with the mag pickups or play with the piezo alone (note: the piezo on a solid body is a little thin, sounds more like an archtop than a flattop)
  • 14" radius and 25.5" scale neck fits me perfectly. I bend strings and play high frets often.
  • Sperzel locking tuners, Graph tech nut & bridge and an almost straight sting path from tuner to ball-end make for a guitar with a whammy that stays in tun better than my non-whammy guitars - sometimes from gig to gig
  • Balanced, contoured body that makes me feel like I'm wearing the guitar, instead of holding it. Take my hands off, and it stays right where I left it, and the beveled body keeps the pressure point off my right arm
  • Hardened stainless steel frets - I may never wear these out, after 4 years of gigging, there is no sign of wear
  • Lightweight body (5lbs) that sustains as long or longer than my 8 lb Faux LP (LTD)
  • Master volume near my picking hand so I can more effectively blend with the band and one master tone so no matter what pickup combination I'm using, I can adjust vol/tone with one twist and without even looking (the third knob is the piezo volume)
  • Excellent access to the higher frets

I haven't ever regretted selling a guitar. I don't keep many around, and with the DF522NN sporting the P-Rails being the 'swiss army knife' of guitars, I only have need for two electrics (gigging and backup) and one acoustic. I'm a player, not a collector (not that there is anything wrong with being a collector). Anything I've sold or given away has gone to a good home and will be played instead of sitting around gathering dust.

Insights and incites by Notes

The one I regret selling was my Electra bass. I got it in 1974 and I loved it. Made in Japan it was a great bass.  But I shipped off in the Navy and sold every guitar I owned and every amp.  Big mistake. My favorite today is my Gibson LG-2. I play it just about every day. 

Edited by Navy Vet.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

The 650 sounds intriguing. I should see if any of the London dealerships have one in stock and have a go on one.

And on the subject of 'odd fish'.........the 'Mustang' is actually a very short-lived (pre-?) production Fender model. In his 1983 book on the Fender Guitar Donald Bronsac introduces the model with the words "This is Fender's Mystery guitar...".  It is known by various names. When I bought it (1980) it was referred to as a Fender 'Arrow'. I've heard it being called a 'Musiclander' but officially it seems to have been intended to be named the 'Swinger'. The confusion arises because the peghead on most surviving examples (apparently) has only the CBS-style 'Fender' waterslide. The only instruments which have a name decal were the ones which had a 'Swinger' sticker but these were adhesive stickers and were applied over the lacquer and most instruments (apparently) have lost these labels. In the book Bronsac states they were made in 1969 but the neck stamp of mine was dated 9 Jan 67. If you want more info send me a PM.

It sounded rubbish, to be perfectly frank. Like the neck p'up of a weedy 1/4-strength Telecaster on a bad day. I kept it because it was a bit of fun unplugged, very comfortable to play - it has the back cutaway like a Strat - and with that scooped-out rear-end and it's really quite a rare thing. I was as good as swindled out of it by a London dealership one day when times were tough.  I knew I was being shafted but at the time 'Needs Must' was the order of the day. Many years later I saw an article in a guitar mag which featured a collector with his group of half-a-dozen (I think) Swingers which he had acquired over the years crowing about how he had managed to get them all for peanuts because no-one knew what they were. It was the same guy who owned the shop which swindled me. Usually I forgive and forget but not this time and not with this guy.

A better picture of someone else's Swinger;

04-Fender-Musiclander-3983-1200-RGB-thum

If you do get either a Mustang or Duo-Sonic and don't rate the sound the p'up(s) can be changed in no time for something far better. I have always liked the Duo-Sonic myself ever since I saw a maple-necked pre-CBS one being played by Patti Smith.

Pip.

I have the 660. It has 1 3/4” nut width.  The 620 is spec’d at a hair over 1 5/8” nut width.

xwlcAEb.jpg

QBqiyVM.jpg

These are old pics which don’t really do the guitar justice. It looks pretty amazing in real life. Probably my all around favorite sounding guitar. I really enjoy playing it

Pip I somehow always overlooked the Swinger in that pic. Warmoth sells “Musiclander” bodies and necks with that headstock shape. I think it’s a cool guitar. My friend lent me a ‘64 mustang and the pickups sounded AMAZING but the neck was hideously small. I really would have bought it if I could play the neck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

My favorite is my R0:

That really has got to be one of the nicest-looking Les Pauls I've ever seen, Black Dog. Absolutely Perfect.

Many congrats in snagging such a beauty.

EDIT : For goodness sakes, boy, change the switch-tip of the Custom to an ambered one!......[laugh]......

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I have the 660. It has 1 3/4” nut width.  The 620 is spec’d at a hair over 1 5/8” nut width....

And along with m-e's earlier posted Ric that has got to be the best looking pair of Ric's I've seen. I know they aren't the classic Ric type but to me they're gorgeous!

I might have to give Rickenbacker another crack of the whip. Not sure they are thick on the ground in London dealerships - especially those styles - but I should have a bit of free time in a couple of weeks...

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Pip I somehow always overlooked the Swinger in that pic. Warmoth sells “Musiclander” bodies and necks with that headstock shape. I think it’s a cool guitar. My friend lent me a ‘64 mustang and the pickups sounded AMAZING but the neck was hideously small. I really would have bought it if I could play the neck...

Interesting that you really liked the sound of the Mustang and I really must qualify what I said earlier about the tone of the 'Swinger' I owned. In the course of taking it apart I thought that the circuitry looked like it had been rewired - and not too well at that - so perhaps I never heard the wee thing as she should - and could - have sounded. It's probably over 25 years ago when I sold her and, having the Strats and suchlike to hand, I didn't really use her plugged in at all but I do remember something about her vol / tone knobs not seeming to be doing as well as they should so, looking back, there is a high likelihood that some previous owner had mucked-up the electrics.

Interesting, too, that Warmoth sells Swinger-style body and neck bits! I would have thought the potential market was rather small but I suppose as it's a rarity there could well be a very dedicated bunch of folks which constitutes a niche market?

And the neck!?!? Yes. Very narrow and very short-scale-length. Nice for noodling with in front of the TV of a evening but that was about it.  Oddly enough - and coming back full-circle, it always reminded me of the very first Ric I ever played! It seemed to be like nothing more than a 1 1/2" wide, flattened-off broom handle with an ever-so-slightly-sticky varnish coating! Can't remember which Ric it was apart from it was a solid-body, black and with a very red 'board. Both yours and m-e's look to be far more the sort of thing I'd enjoy...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

FAVORITE: 

1979 Kalamazoo-factory Gigson SG Standard purchased in 1982 -- Purchased from Mike Varney who was trying to get cash to start up Shrapnel Records.  I still have it, and it is a still a super nice playing guitar in great condition even though being heavily played.

4575540053_large.jpg?v=0

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY:

Back in 1980, I played a brand new Les Paul KM  in a music store (the KM is for "Kalamazoo").  I was blown away by the guitar,.  But as a young barely working Junior High student, I could no way swing the new price.  To this day, I regret never figuring out a way to get it.

Background:  The Les Paul KM model was made in the Kalamazoo plant in 1979.  The guitar was  intended be a sunburst Les Paul that more closely approximated ’59 Standard specs. The guitar has exposed-coil, double-cream, T-top humbuckers, speed knobs, large, black side dot markers, a Nashville bridge, stop tailpiece, Grover tuners, wide binding in the cutaway, brown backplates, and “Les Paul K. M. ” engraved on the truss rod cover.  The guitar was available in Antique Sunburst, Natural, or Cherry Sunburst finish.  Most were plian tops, but some were flame tops (like  in the pic).  A total of approximately 1,500 Les Paul KMs were made.

GIBSONREISSUE_01.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite is my R9.

esd9pDg.jpg

The one that got away was a Highway One HSS 3-tone Sunburst Stratocaster. The only stat that I played and liked it better, were maybe some CS and maybe on equal pegging AVRIs/AO. I would probably have changed the pickups and the guitar was on the heavy side, but that neck on the one I played was absolutely phenomenal. I had a American Pro Stat at the time, which is the reason the other Strat got away, that didn’t come even close to that Highway One. Also loved the satin finish. 

Edit: There is also a Classic Player Plus I’ve been thinking about for a few weeks. I’m afraid that one will get away. 

Edited by pauloqs
  • Like 1

My favourite guitar is my 2014 R8, however the one that I almost always gravitate towards when I play any gig's is my 2008 Classic Antique pictured.

The guitar that I regret not buying is a Custom shop Paul Kossoff VOS Les Paul which was without doubt the best guitar I've ever played but sadly I was at an eventful junction in my life so spending that much on a guitar was out of the question.

zw0IG41.jpg  

I like that one....and ZZ's Tele, lovely.

The one that got away is on the left (everything else in the pic went too eventually) my 1979 guitars and amp - Roland JC120, Hagstrom Swede and -

Fender '66-67 larger headstock Strat,  F-stamped neckplate ser.no 161234 I think.

Sold to Vintage and Rare Guitars for £350 in early '80s.   I will always regret it -  a LOT.  [sad][crying]  It had been refretted twice.

Strat-JC120-Swede.jpg

My current favourite solidbody: Gibson L4S, 2004.

P1020873.jpg

Edited by jdgm

My favourite was my second ever Gibson...  My 2002 Classic 1960...  Its what I wanted from day one a darkburst.. And the fact it has a great slim neck and hot pickups is something I like. It sets it apart sound wise from my other guitars.. The only downside is its a bit heavy..  But when I want to record and get the best sound I can, its still my go to guitar even after all these years  🙂

f02wkiR.jpg

khHxThK.jpg

The one that got away..  That's easy...  REALLY REALLY wanted one of these 2009 Nighthawks.. Because of the pickup combination.. They literally sold the last one they had an hour before I arrived to buy it. Looked like this

HqFiJYD.jpg

Then instead and because it had a similar pickup combo I bought this instead..  Only to sell it later despite LOVING the pickup combo and sound but because it had a REALLY fat neck.. If I had kept it I probably would have shaved the neck down myself.. Was such a unique guitar.. Loved it. The Gary Moore BFG

mkPVV5C.jpg

In the end though its actually one of the reasons I started building my own guitars.. Because Gibson wasn't offering any other with the P90/Humbucker combo. 

Edited by Rabs
spelling error

3 minutes ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

ALOT of awesome electrics so far, but where are the acoustics? I hope I’m not the only acoustic lover here

That's an interesting observation.

I did my bit on behalf of our acoustic bretheren in post #4......[biggrin]......

Pip.