Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Thunder Revue

northcntryblues

Didn’t care for this at all. A humorous-less  mocumentary  whose only redeeming value is some of the unstaged outtakes from Dylan’s own project archive (Joni Mitchell, Allen Ginsberg). All the staged stuff (e.g., where he and Joan B “reminisce” for a few moments about their relationships) is crap and rings hollow.

Sure, anyone who needs to see yet more video of yet more bootleg material will have something to enjoy. 

I get that he’s a genius, musically and lyrically. I’m 100% on board there. But, sorry, if he and/or Scorsese think it’s meaningful (or even vaguely interesting) to fake-explore Dylan’s iconic cultural persona, I got nothing but a giant eye-roll for the endeavor. 

(Next, I’ll tell you how I really feel. 🤓)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow, Anne, you really shoot from the hip. But thanks for the heads-up; from what you've mentioned, and from reviews on imdb.com, most here would most likely come to see what brought you to that opinion watching only a short ways in. I'll eventually watch, but on the small screen, with a jaded eye.

I watched the whole film. The live music scenes were great, but the interviews and other stuff didn't add much of anything. I'm by no means a Dylan completeist, but I enjoyed the film. 

The Netflix Springsteen on Broadway, on the other hand, was just thoroughly amazing all the way through, both the story telling and the music. 

Lars

I do have Netflix but have not seen the film..    Maybe you had to be there.  I don't know.  But I have a different take on it then Anne.   I think it was Ginsburg who referred to the Revue as a con-man medicine show.  Maybe Scorsese took his cue from that and was trying to capture the painted face spirit of the tour.