Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Black Dog

OK, well, I got my new Warmoth tele a couple months ago and I really like everything about it except the controls.  I really like LP controls. 

So, I built another one.  This one is a carved top tele with LP style controls.  It also has SD Quarter Pound pickups.  They're hot, supposed to be closer to a P90.  I wired them with 500k pots and for tone, I have push pulls that switch between .022 and .047 caps.  I couldn't decide which so I did both.   I just finished it this morning so I've only played it a few minutes but so far I can't really tell a difference between the caps.  But, the pickups?  Man these sound great.  They're hot but if you roll the volume back you still have the classic Tele twang.  Clean tones are very nice, smooth and rich.  Very nice definition.  Crank it up and they growl.  So far I have high hopes for this one but I obviously need to get to know it better. 

yBevNys.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.  She is a beauty.  Played it for an hour or so and I'll give it a thumbs up for sure.  Very good pickups.  Very versatile tone wise.  Overall, I'm really impressed with the Warmoth quality.   I think I'm gonna put a black switch tip on, the amber doesn't look right.  I originally had amber LP style top hat knobs but they didn't look right either.  I think the chrome tele knobs look much better.

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

That's one hell of a top..  Nice  👍

And again.. Love your Walnut table... Im currently in the process of building one at the moment..  Just getting the wood together.

Yeah, it's a really nice top.   Quilted maple on a mahogany back with a tortoise  binding and birds eye maple neck.  It's a bit of a leap of faith when you pick the top, it's unfinished (this one anyway) so you don't really know what it's gonna look like when it 's finished.

That is gonna be a nice table.  [thumbup]

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

q7WZ65f.jpg

The top is gorgeous, obviously, but oddly enough it was the maple neck which really took my eye.

That and the table. That table is magnificent.

Heartiest congrats yet again, BD!

[thumbup]

Pip.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Marky Forrest said:

Outstanding, Black Dog. Simply gorgeous and I love the way you positioned the switch and pots. That was very creative. KgciXGJ.gif

Yeah he had better hope Gibson don't come after him for knob and toggle switch placement infringement....

Sorry I cant help it  [blush]

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Marky Forrest said:

Outstanding, Black Dog. Simply gorgeous and I love the way you positioned the switch and pots. That was very creative. KgciXGJ.gif

Thanks but I can't really take credit for it.  When I started getting interested in Tele's, I noticed the Fender has made just about every imaginable configuration of pickups, controls, wood, finish, etc.  The setup I have is just one of the standard offerings from Warmoth, but it is way more ergonomic than the classic Tele setup for sure.

• Like 1