Gibson Brands Forums

Will Gibson pickup covers fit over Seymour Duncans?

musky72

Hi all,

Just bought a lovely Les Paul Studio 2007 model, really happy with it.

The original stock pickups were replaced with 2 sets of Seymour Duncan pickups.

I would like to know, will the Gibson Pickup covers fit over these pickups? May sound like a silly question but I have not seen a stock Les Paul to see how wide the standard pickups are.

Any ideas? It will save me a few pounds in wasted money if they aren't going to fit!!

Thanks

Musky

Isle of Man

Yes - Ive done it a lot

exception is the Duncan Invader (obvious) and some special order models marked "Bridge" that have a slightly wider pole piece spacing. (following DiMarzio's lead here) - but these are rare.

could invert the original Gibson PU and hold it directly over your Duncans to visually see that the pole pieces line up on both - be sure to check both Neck and Bridge PU - as I said, there are rare times that the Bridge PU has slightly wider pole pieces than the Neck PU.

Gibson Covers typically all match Duncan Neck Humbucking PU spacing .

Yes - Ive done it a lot

exception is the Duncan Invader (obvious) and some special order models marked "Bridge" that have a slightly wider pole piece spacing. (following DiMarzio's lead here) - but these are rare.

could invert the original Gibson PU and hold it directly over your Duncans to visually see that the pole pieces line up on both - be sure to check both Neck and Bridge PU - as I said' date=' there are rare times that the Bridge PU has slightly wider pole pieces than the Neck PU.

Gibson Covers typically all match Duncan Neck Humbucking PU spacing .

[/quote'] You did hit upon something there. Bridge(lead) and Neck ( rhythm ) are different on covers in terms of the screw spacing ( read that as the holes in the covers) . A Gibson "T" pickup cover will fit over a Gibson "R" cover but the screws will not be lined up underneath ....

Yes - must use solder

could find a local tech to do it.

The different spacing of pole piece (Neck vs Bridge PU) is a relative new phenomena after 1985 on some models.

Pre 1985 - they were all the same spacing = Neck PU spacing.

My Hamer Newport custom pro has S. Duncan Seth Lover pickups. How are they different than Gibson pick ups? Are there any cautions you'd offer. Any hints?

Does anybody know how to adjust pickup screws? Screw height & relative screw height? How do you set the amp to make the most/best of the pickup. Band leader and me go through 1/2 hr of amp stuff every time (different rooms have different sounds) but it's a hit and miss affair -- there ought to be some logical way to approach the issue of a best over all adjust and a best amp setting.

• 1 month later...
Yes - must use solder

could find a local tech to do it.

The different spacing of pole piece (Neck vs Bridge PU) is a relative new phenomena after 1985 on some models.

Pre 1985 - they were all the same spacing = Neck PU spacing.

you consider 24 years a relatively NEW phenomenon?

Archived