Gibson Brands Forums

A couple of mods to my J-35....

dhanners623

Since I'm only in the U.S. once a year, I save up my guitar repair and tune-up work for when I'm back in St. Paul. Last week, I took my J-35 in to St. Paul Guitar Repair (a great shop with a wonderful crew) and had them replace the Tusq nut with an ebony one (ala the original J-35s) and take out the pickup and electronics. I'm going all-acoustic.

I got the guitar back today. I am very pleased with the results. For most folks, the change in tone and volume  would be hard to notice, but after playing the guitar daily since I got it in the summer of 2016, I can tell you it sounds better -- and it was no slouch to start with. For one thing, the sound just kind of jumps out of it. It seems to respond more quickly. Maybe that is a result of it being lighter and not having a UST sitting in the saddle slot.

One oddity in the pickup removal.... Ron Tracy, who did the work, said it all came out ok but he discovered the tone-and-volume control gizmo attached just inside the soundhole wasn't attached with double-sided foam tape. It was actually glued in. He said the gizmos are notorious for coming loose and it appears Gibson decided somewhere along the line to just glue it to the inside of the soundhole. Go figure.

Yeah , same results with my 45 

Although I went bone saddle and nut,  it  came ba I like you say , same but nicer 

Response being the biggest difference 

Not like getting a different guitar or anything , very subtle but very pleasing 

Maybe the pickup out of the way but I've always had a notion that a saddle made to fit exactly in the slot may be the thing