Gibson Brands Forums

Forget luthiership, this is where Gibson is really lacks, (Mark Agnesi please read)

Zesty F

I guess I'm not very OCD at all when it comes to a lot of that stuff. I've never actually looked at the angles of the pickup rings and pickups.  I wonder if it would make a difference and if it would be noticeable? I have adjusted the pickups up or down to try different tones and it makes a bit of difference. I think I may have adjusted pole pieces at one time in my life but haven't for a long time.  Would love to hear if it makes a difference.

I thought this party had died..

Okay so I don't have the time to respond to you all individually but as OP of this thread I would like to touch base on a few notable points.

FIRSTLY @badbluesplayer soapbar pickups are intentionally designed to sit flat, there is nothing wrong with that! and I will further ad that this thread is purely about aesthetic qualities and I'm sure the effect on the electromagnetic field matters very little to pole pieces, I know this because I've played soapbars and they rock.

SECONDLY Gibson did not intend for PAFs to sit flat so for PAF users it's different and I would consider yourself lucky.

Now. Moving to a new concept, perhaps I've (and we've) been sorely mistaken, I think Gibson PAF pickup rings are actually flat on the top with 90 degree sides and angled only on the bottom in order to help fit the top carve! what do you guys think? I will attach a refined diagram of this concept below..

Actual.jpg

Look guys, that's it, I can see it now. Welcome to the club who knows things about Gibson guitars many don't!

Thoughts:

Gibson isn't going to sand the bottom of their pickup rings to each unique top carve, however what they could possibly do in the future is CNC their top carves, then their pickup ring moulds could not only have a solid fit (which we would all appreciate) but Gibson could also maintain their current level of mass production and in fact improve it while simultaneously improving quality control.

Gibson if you are reading this, as of typing you have recently had to pull a video you made public, you have recently lost your lawsuit in the European courts, I think that when you decide to focus on making fine guitars and earning customers from that instead of trademarking your competition into a monopoly, then, you should check out this thread.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:17 AM, LarryUK said:

I can't believe I'm seeing people disagreeing on the pickup rings being wrong. If you pay a lot of money for what is an expensive instrument, the aesthetics  should be pleasing to the eye. So, if a pick ring is askew it's wrong. I bought a 2018 Classic with P90's and the neck pickup is at an angle, Gibson said it was within spec.  Tell me this is right? 

20180701_103221.jpg

**Confusion alert**

Larry. sorry I confused you with another member, yes your soapbars are fine buddy, traditionally soap bar pickups are fitted flat in most guitars.

It seems that with Les Pauls and SGs (flatter top to begin with), the angled rings for the most part do the job of getting the pickup parallel to the stings.  It's is the ES models with more curve in the carve of the top where it's gets way out of whack.   And in the case of a P-90 since there is only one coil then string to pole piece distance would be all that matters.

(Hey I like that new phrase I stumbled on "Curve of the Carve")

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2019 at 3:23 AM, Rabs said:

Yes this is the thing. I cant see how it makes much difference apart from people with OCD who cant stand that they aren't parallel  🙂 (we all suffer from that somewhat)..  Its just the pole pieces that count.. You don't need the whole pickup to be parallel...

You also don't want them too close to the strings anyway or they will pull at the strings too much.

This picture is with my 339 pickup ring reversed. You can see the angle still is not level with anything else like the other ring  for example, but the PUP is almost parallel with the strings. I dont have a pic with the ring in the factory direction but essentially the PUP almost touches the strings on the bridge side and the pole screws are a mile away from the strings. So in my experience on a 339 at least you have less freedom to set your PUP height.

403AFFCB-35DA-45CE-BE4F-4F36FE8833F5.jpeg