Gibson Brands Forums

1969 Gibson Hummingbird in need of Pickup

Sunburstdigger

7 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Yeah , BK got a great tone from his m1a 

Heard that and commented on it 

I have an m1a , trying to get the tone out of it to match BK , probably need an EQ pedal ...

Not so impressed with the tonedexter , well, its grand , but its price doesnt justify the sound  that I've heard so far ...

The m1a example was much more pleasing than the tonedexter examples and still reckon BK's spectrum aura got my favourite noise 

Lots of online examples of the m80 have peaked an interest in those also ...

Have had a k&k in a previous guitar and liked it grand ....

I know jinder rates the sunrise , and I'd listen to his opinion as hes many feathers in the cap and has tried and tested a load of variations , but again ,while its non too shabby, I've not heard an example that really sets it streets apart from any other ....

A lot of it is the player for sure 

Chasing rainbows 

I suggested the Baggs M1A because it is easy for guitarists new to pickups. Place in soundhole, tighten screws, dangle lead out the front, plug in, ready to go!

You can wrap the lead around the bottom of the guitar, put a small piece of tape to hold it, and run it around to wrap around the endpin to keep it to the side of your feet a bit.

To alter the tone, it is best to have a compatible preamp with EQ, extra controls are always helpful. About 44 million guitarists just use the pickup direct to amp. But I like to carve out the low bass, squawky mids and brittle highs.....and the more you spend, the better the result normally.

Each guitar is different, but I generally only adjust the polepieces once.

BluesKing777.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sunburstdigger said:

Hey Bluesking.. I found a 2015 post with you looking for opinions on the rare earth blend.. what's your thoughts on that one since you ended up getting one compared to the M1A Thanks!

I think I have bought and tried just about all the pickups you can get since then! And guitars with pickup systems. And gadgetry.

I wouldn’t buy it again - it was probably the first pickup I bought.

At the risk of repeating myself, I will tell the same story a different way. I will tell you my order of preference for hitting the road tomorrow...

OK, not true, but say I have a gig interstate tomorrow night. What do I take currently? One of my 3 Matons with their Hiscox case. Need to check to see if the guitar is inside the case, it feels so light. 00 deep body guitar with the best pickup system you can currently get, in the best custom size case protection. The case has provision for the Hiscox carry strap for slinging the thing over shoulder or back if it is starting to get heavy hoofing down the airport terminal. Guitar lead, tuner, strings in the glove box. Everything I need. ‘Don’t go on after the Maton player!’

A distant second to take at the moment would be my new Taylor 717e with the ES2 pickup system, but I would need to take my Tonedexter to get it to sound how I like.

If someone said something like: ‘You are playing at the Gibson Acoustic Guitar Club lunch and you have to play a Gibson!’,  I would grab the Gibson Blues King and put the Baggs M1A in it, chuck it in a Hiscox, pack my Fishman Pro EQ preamp and my Tonedexter, 3 guitar leads, tuner, strings. 

And somewhere long down the list that will never make it, is the Fishman REB.

BluesKing777.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sunburstdigger said:

I started on my fishman preamp homework since you mentioned it but there are Many versions when searching for A fishman pro eq preamp? would the  aura fall into that category?

thank you

sorry to be a pain

No pain!

Here is the preamp:

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/platinum/platinum-pro-eq-analog-preamp/

(I have the previous model, not made any more, but pretty much the same thing).

BluesKing777.

I had the Rare Earth Blend. Lasted one gig before I parted with it. I love magnetic pickups but that one didn't do it for me. The whole Rare Earth line is compromised, the single coil sounds very good (I have one in my '94 Centenary Blues King) but suffers from 60hz him/RF interference, the Humbucker is a little hot on the unwound strings and doesn't sound as sweet as the single coil, and the REB is just the Humbucker with a very boxy and feedback prone miniature condenser on a gooseneck. 

All pickups are compromised in some way or another, but to my fingers and ears the Sunrise is the best modular/removable/non invasive pickup, and one of the absolute best overall. Yes, it's not feather light, but it's very easily removable if the weight is an issue. The tone, with a decent preamp, is superlative. They've been around forever, and are still used to this day by Richard Thompson, The Rolling Stones, Lyle Lovett and many others. They are virtually feedback proof and just get the job done in a high quality and totally professional way.

2 hours ago, Jinder said:

I had the Rare Earth Blend. Lasted one gig before I parted with it. I love magnetic pickups but that one didn't do it for me. The whole Rare Earth line is compromised, the single coil sounds very good (I have one in my '94 Centenary Blues King) but suffers from 60hz him/RF interference, the Humbucker is a little hot on the unwound strings and doesn't sound as sweet as the single coil, and the REB is just the Humbucker with a very boxy and feedback prone miniature condenser on a gooseneck. 

All pickups are compromised in some way or another, but to my fingers and ears the Sunrise is the best modular/removable/non invasive pickup, and one of the absolute best overall. Yes, it's not feather light, but it's very easily removable if the weight is an issue. The tone, with a decent preamp, is superlative. They've been around forever, and are still used to this day by Richard Thompson, The Rolling Stones, Lyle Lovett and many others. They are virtually feedback proof and just get the job done in a high quality and totally professional way.

Slightly baffled by the fact that they seem to be sold with just bare wires ?

Extra £50 for the pleasure of getting the end jack attached , I mean , really? Wtf

On 7/7/2019 at 11:04 PM, blindboygrunt said:

Not sure if this will help but I found this 8 year old clip of my 69' CW with the Fishman Rare Earth blend, going into a Marshall AS50D and then small house PA. I didnt use it much but to my ears this sounds pretty good.

Does indeed sound fine aussie 

I'd be happy with that tone , you used the little Marshall to tweak the low mids and treble then I assume 

Funny theres a fella playing over here , acoustic blues,  and he couldnt even tell me what his pickup was , he does the same thing , into a little Marshall and then to the Pa 

3 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Does indeed sound fine aussie 

I'd be happy with that tone , you used the little Marshall to tweak the low mids and treble then I assume 

Funny theres a fella playing over here , acoustic blues,  and he couldnt even tell me what his pickup was , he does the same thing , into a little Marshall and then to the Pa 

Yeah, would have first set EQ on the Marshall, then on the house PA  to get  a warm, full sound from the amp/ pa combo.

However the golden principle for me always is to keep the mids on zero when plugging a Gibson acoustic. Irrespective of pickup type. I find its the mids that mostly ruin the tone and make it sound too bright and clinical, more electric than acoustic.

I like that pickup. It sounds good and i always have it with me as a backup or if i wanna much around plugged in on the LG-2 or J-40

that's Ironic Euroaussie there is a local guy with a Marshall AS50R for sale only wants $120 I was thinkin about snatchin it up! I used to own the D and miss the light easy set up compared to the Big brother Classic Bose, I also picked up a fender passport off a buddy but ya jus can't beat plug n play of the marshall.. to me it was the best natural sounding amp!

totally forgot about the SWR California blonde I sold couple months ago.. that one was cool also but a Beast

38 minutes ago, Sunburstdigger said:

that's Ironic Euroaussie there is a local guy with a Marshall AS50R for sale only wants $120 I was thinkin about snatchin it up! I used to own the D and miss the light easy set up compared to the Big brother Classic Bose, I also picked up a fender passport off a buddy but ya jus can't beat plug n play of the marshall.. to me it was the best natural sounding amp!

totally forgot about the SWR California blonde I sold couple months ago.. that one was cool also but a Beast

The Marshall is lovelly and reliable amp, but i sold it and bought an AER Compact 60 which is a completely different experience, quite a few notches higher, but with an equivally higher pricetag. But I found it to be absolutely worth it.  Anyway, this was more to show the pickup, what you were hearing was mainly the sound from the PA and the pickup, plus the guitar of course.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:37 PM, blindboygrunt said:

Slightly baffled by the fact that they seem to be sold with just bare wires ?

Extra £50 for the pleasure of getting the end jack attached , I mean , really? Wtf

I think they sell with bare wires so folks can wire them into dual source rigs, the installation kit is pricey but it comes with Mogami cabling, a very high quality Switchcraft endpin jack and a Switchcraft in-line mini jack connection so the pickup can be easily removed and disconnected for stashing when/if you have to fly with the guitar it's installed in. 

They could have made the installation kit cheaper admittedly, but I think their approach is that if you're already £250 deep on a pickup system, you'll probably not lose too much sleep about dropping an extra £50 to make sure the downstream components are as good as the source.

So in conclusion:

-Everyone has their own favorite pickup.

-Tone is really in one’s hand.  But, a pickup can amplify that tone.

-Unsaid, but...All acoustic guitar pickup’s are better than there basically being no acoustic guitar pickups in the 60s, except the J160’s P-90...which still sounds  good.

QM aka “ Jazzman Jeff

6 hours ago, Sunburstdigger said:

here's a question...  would attaching  a k&K mini mess with the value of the guitar? It's best to super glue it instead of tape from what I read?

Depends on who you sell it to.

I'd consider it a plus if shopping for a second hand guitar 

Others want them pure and untouched 

• Upvote 1