Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new 2019 50s Les Paul Standard dent under scratchplate

sunking101

IF IF IF you used a credit card to buy the Les Paul, and the dealer will not give you a refund....just call the credit card company and tell them you were sold damaged goods. You will get a refund. Funny how using someone else's money gets results.

When I decided to put the Pick-Guard on my Lester, I made sure I drilled into the body, underneath the binding on the side of the guitar, and I attached a 2 CM piece of felt that had adhesive on the side that attached to the NUT(so it would stay in place) and there is about 2 CM space between the felt and the body/cap of the Guitar.

it sucks that you will have to send the axe back, but getting one with no dents/dings etc is a must ! For the cash GIBSON is getting for these guitars it should be damn near perfect. Nothing ever is perfect, but 99% perfect is getting your monies worth when it comes to these new GIBSON's.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:04 AM, pippy said:

Your guess is wholly wrong and I've never yet found it neccessary to take anyone to court to achieve a satisfactory outcome. Good manners, politeness, a well-reasoned discussion and a smattering of common sense always seems to win the day IMX.

YMMV.

Philip.

Good manners and politeness ? PPPFFFFFF......who u think u kiddin'? besides yourself?

Good gravy 

The responses of a ding in the finish from a nut holding the pick guard on which 99.9% never be removed 

Vs 

Scratches and dents one could put on it while playing. 

Guess one can find an unblemished guitar and could keep it in the case under their bed or in a closet,  

5 hours ago, MADCLAPPER said:

Good manners and politeness ? PPPFFFFFF......who u think u kiddin'? besides yourself?

Curious, did you create this profile just to make this post? Your history is brand spanking new, are you afraid to come out using your normal profile? What do you have to hide?  What's with all the caps in your other posts? Just CURIOUS.....

wildbillmotorcycleclassic_2019.jpg

Edit: I'm a huge fan of the wild wild west!!

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

Good gravy 

The responses of a ding in the finish from a nut holding the pick guard on which 99.9% never be removed 

Vs 

Guess one can find an unblemished guitar and could keep it in the case under their bed or in a closet,  

I've never understood that argument. My guitars never get dinged up and I play the heck out of them. I'm a bedroom guitarist who looks after his kit. If I buy a brand new item then I expect no scratches, dings or defects. That especially goes for £2000 guitars. 

It's not hard to design a pick guard that doesn't destroy the guitar's finish. We all expect the two screw holes but the nut pushing into the top of the guitar is just bad design.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:14 PM, FemmeParallell said:

I also hate this, all the LPs i've had and have removed the pickguard have had this blemish =( on my current gold top its really noticeable but i decided to leave it that way and try not to let it bother me

like  Wmachine said, they made removable pickguards in 2015, they were so practical but i guess ppl thought they were not like the original LPs so they went back to the original way

I think the 2015 solution was elegant, but as you say, the faithful wont tolerate change. 

In this particular case, Gibson can fix the issue easily enough a couple of simple ways. I wonder why don't? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Pip is right of course. The dealer is being disingenuous. That's why I asked who it is. I dont think it can be Northern or Hobgoblin. PMT Leeds seem out of stock of Classics ATM.

That suggests Dawsons?

This is a post on Gibson workmanship/QC.

13 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Good gravy 

Vs 

I suspect more than 0.1% are pickguard off people. With that said, the dents I’ve encountered are so small, I’d have to look very close to be able to see it. It wouldn’t be something that would make me return the guitar or consider it damaged.  Even PRS guitars, which receive praises and more praises for their fit and finish, can exhibit some less the perfect attributes in those areas where people don’t look very often, like the control cavity. For instance, my first PRS was a 2016 CE24, which had splintering control cavity. I’m a pickguard off guy and even for me I find 1) the pickguard ding to be too small for the trouble of returning a guitar, and 2) virtually impossible to avoid within the Gibson USA range. That’s why I think Gibson should just ship the pickguard unmounted with the case candy like they were doing in previous years. The problem in previous years were the loud intellectually challenged people who don’t play LPs or weren’t aware of what came in the case making a fuss about the LPs not coming with pickguards. 

10 minutes ago, pauloqs said:

I suspect more than 0.1% are pickguard off people. With that said, the dents I’ve encountered are so small, I’d have to look very close to be able to see it. It wouldn’t be something that would make me return the guitar or consider it damaged.  Even PRS guitars, which receive praises and more praises for their fit and finish, can exhibit some less the perfect attributes in those areas where people don’t look very often, like the control cavity. For instance, my first PRS was a 2016 CE24, which had splintering control cavity. I’m a pickguard off guy and even for me I find 1) the pickguard ding to be too small for the trouble of returning a guitar, and 2) virtually impossible to avoid within the Gibson USA range. That’s why I think Gibson should just ship the pickguard unmounted with the case candy like they were doing in previous years. The problem in previous years were the loud intellectually challenged people who don’t play LPs or weren’t aware of what came in the case making a fuss about the LPs not coming with pickguards. 

Big difference between control cavities and underneath pickguards. Too many people accept damage here! You'll get dings anyway, you can hardly see it, it adds character, keep the pickguard on etc. Would you accept that damage if it wasn't underneath the pickguard? I wouldn't. Also, for TWO THOUSAND POUNDS I expect a pristine intrument with zero defects.

1 hour ago, sunking101 said:

Big difference between control cavities and underneath pickguards. Too many people accept damage here! You'll get dings anyway, you can hardly see it, it adds character, keep the pickguard on etc. Would you accept that damage if it wasn't underneath the pickguard? I wouldn't. Also, for TWO THOUSAND POUNDS I expect a pristine intrument with zero defects.

Fair enough. I agree it's a big difference. Perhaps it was a poor example, but I chose it because it was something that I experienced myself. Don't get me wrong, I think PRS is currently one of the best example of good fit, finish and QC. Other good examples are Gibson Custom, Fender Custom Shop, ESP, Music Man, just to name a few. However, although PRS can be almost perfect, there are some cases out there that, albeit rare, prevent them from being absolutely perfect. With that said, their customer service is amazing and the few far in between cases where perfection is not achieved is addressed superbly.  

I respect and understand your expectations. However, I, personally, would accept a very minor cosmetic imperfections provided the instrument sounded and played perfectly, and had a reasonable weight. My first LP standard was a 2017 T model that had a minuscule blemish on the binding close to the bass side of the nut. However, that guitar played and sounded better than all the other 7 cosmetically perfect 2016 and 2017 Standard Ts that I played at the store. I got the guitar in one of the store's annual sales for less than 2k (US dollars) before tax plus an additional very small discount for the blemish. Had the store not given me the additional discount for the blemish, I'd probably still had gotten the guitar. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pauloqs said:

...I, personally, would accept a very minor cosmetic imperfections provided the instrument sounded and played perfectly......My first LP standard was a 2017 T model that had a minuscule blemish on the binding close to the bass side of the nut. However, that guitar played and sounded better than all the other 7 cosmetically perfect 2016 and 2017 Standard Ts that I played at the store.......Had the store not given me the additional discount for the blemish, I'd probably still had gotten the guitar. 

Yup.

[thumbup]

Pip.

6 hours ago, sunking101 said:

This is a post on Gibson workmanship/QC.

Yes it is; but not exclusively. The dealer has responsibilities to customers too. 

That remains true whether you refuse to engage in that aspect of it or not.

Like some of the others here. If I really liked the guitar, I wouldn't let the blemish bother me; and I always remove pickguards too. I only mention this because you have opened this up for discussion. Its you that have to decide your own course of action. Its how you feel that ultimately matters. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Upvote 1

My Standard 50s just arrived and I took off the pick guard and there was no damage. Get this, they put a nice piece of felt on the nut to protect the finish. My guitar was out Gibson's door on 05/27/2019. I guess they have been looking into the issue.

• Upvote 4

On 6/29/2019 at 4:42 PM, pauloqs said:

I can’t speak for 2013, but the new ones, the 2018 and 2017 have slots. Here are pictures of my 2017 Standard T and my Standard 50s pickguard brackets.

xbfKX6E.jpg

tFjMga8.jpg

Those are the same types of brackets used in my R9. However, on my R9 the nut and bolt had about 1/8” clearance from the body. On my Standard 50s the nut and bolt was touching the body. Personally, I wish both Gibson USA and Gibson Custom would stop shipping the guitars with mounted pickguards, like Gibson USA were doing in previous years with the Standards. 

I’m a pickguard off guy and although the minuscule ding on my Standard 50s don’t bug me one bit, Gibson USA clearly doesn’t know how to properly mount pickguards. The pickguard screw holes, on the other hand, do bug me a lot. 

I was talking about the short end of the bracket that attached to the side of the guitar - they used to have a slot so you could adjust the height of the pickguard up away from the guitar top or down tight if you wished. 

Edited by Twang Gang

35 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

My Standard 50s just arrived and I took off the pick guard and there was no damage. Get this, they put a nice piece of felt on the nut to protect the finish. My guitar was out Gibson's door on 05/27/2019. I guess they have been looking into the issue.

Really? My build date was 12/05/19 and there was no felt under the nut. Just a flat-angled pickguard and a dent in the surface of my guitar.

10 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

Really? My build date was 12/05/19 and there was no felt under the nut. Just a flat-angled pickguard and a dent in the surface of my guitar.

I'm assuming you mean 2018. 🙂 I guess some time between then and the end of may they started putting the felt on.

21 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Curious, did you create this profile just to make this post?

Well, we're going a bit off-topic here so profuse apologies to the OP in advance but no, I don't think so, Bill. A couple of weeks ago, by way of a PM,  MacMutt / Wild Bill / Madclapper invited me out for a spot of lunch;

Idiot.jpg

...so I don't think the current post holds any interest whatsoever for our oft-banned yet resiliently boomeranging CAps_LocK-lOVIng lunatic.

How sad. And how long do you reckon he can last this time before the Ban-Stick is given another outing for this quaintly charming buffoon?...

Pip.

Edited by pippy