Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new 2019 50s Les Paul Standard dent under scratchplate

sunking101

35 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

Anyway, mine is hot out of the factory and my home smells of vanilla-infused nitro in every room....

I know you'll will go the route that makes you happy.

Myself, I'm having a blast with mine. My son has been playing it too and enjoying it and he is not a fan of Lesters.  The only thing I have to say negative is they put .10 strings on the thing. 

I hope you would let that ding roll off your back and play the **** out of it. You have an awesome guitar! I would love to see some pics of yours. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I know you'll will go the route that makes you happy.

Myself, I'm having a blast with mine. My son has been playing it too and enjoying it and he is not a fan of Lesters.  The only thing I have to say negative is they put .10 strings on the thing. 

I hope you would let that ding roll off your back and play the **** out of it. You have an awesome guitar! I would love to see some pics of yours. 

20190607-221743.jpg
free image hosting

20190608-225205.jpg

20190701-033740.jpg
free image hosting

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

bhHnmfG.jpg

I was going to complain about mine, but I think the photo made it look prettier 🙂 

I personally prefer a darker/deeper hue of yellow like I’ve seen on some other guitars. However, the guitar I have is absolutely perfect in every way, save for the pickguard ding, which doesn’t bother me. No ridge on the neck binding, absolutely perfect frets, dark pretty fretboard, comfortable rolled fretboard edges, just an absolute joy to play and a sound that is just amazing. 

Edited by pauloqs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Bill said:

Those are some sweet Lesters,  here is some pics of mine and it looks EXACTLY like your guys! These pics are from Wildwood...

109890090_lg1.jpg

109890090_lg4.jpg

109890090_lg5.jpg

That top and finish is just amazing. That’s borderline Gibson Custom. 

3 minutes ago, pauloqs said:

That top and finish is just amazing. That’s borderline Gibson Custom. 

That's what's nice about places like Wildwood and Sweetwater, you can pick out the guitar you like the best.

I'm sure your guys looks as awesome, my pics were taken by a professional photographer that uses more than our phones. LOL 

Edited by Big Bill

2 hours ago, pippy said:

Well, we're going a bit off-topic here so profuse apologies to the OP in advance but no, I don't think so, Bill. A couple of weeks ago, by way of a PM,  MacMutt / Wild Bill / Madclapper invited me out for a spot of lunch;

Idiot.jpg

...so I don't think the current post holds any interest whatsoever for our oft-banned yet resiliently boomeranging CAps_LocK-lOVIng lunatic.

How sad. And how long do you reckon he can last this time before the Ban-Stick is given another outing for this quaintly charming buffoon?...

Pip.

I bet he never crossed the pond!

15 hours ago, pippy said:

Well, we're going a bit off-topic here so profuse apologies to the OP in advance but no, I don't think so, Bill. A couple of weeks ago, by way of a PM,  MacMutt / Wild Bill / Madclapper invited me out for a spot of lunch;

Idiot.jpg

...so I don't think the current post holds any interest whatsoever for our oft-banned yet resiliently boomeranging CAps_LocK-lOVIng lunatic.

How sad. And how long do you reckon he can last this time before the Ban-Stick is given another outing for this quaintly charming buffoon?...

Pip.

I couldn't believe this....!  What...?  Madclapper??!!

I've read about - but never actually had  - one of those spit-out-my-coffee internet moments before.

Good grief.   Facepalm.   Etc.

Edited by jdgm

15 hours ago, pippy said:

Idiot.jpg

Pip.

What a loser.  Sad.

17 hours ago, pippy said:

Idiot.jpg

Pip.

English is not my first language, so I can’t really tell if you’re being asked on a romantic date or challenged to a fight. Either way, it’s simultaneously amusing and sad. 

OP, the guitar is totally ruined. I’ll take off your hands free of charge. 😄

Edited by pauloqs
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I couldn't believe this....!  What...?  Madclapper??!!

I've read about - but never actually had  - one of those spit-out-my-coffee internet moments before.

Good grief.   Facepalm.   Etc.

"MADCLAPPER" Sounds like a REALLY bad STD....!!!

• Upvote 1

@Big Bill, you've mentioned spending on so many guitars you are going to end up living under a bridge with a huge collection of guitars. I know that sounds awfully hard to do. Having to protect lug around so many guitars can be pretty hard and strenuous. I've encountered a very reasonable solution for you. It's called Scarface. You can condense all those guitars into a single one, which would be a much easier task to do when you're living under a bridge. It's also the same price of a reasonably nice house in Oregon, at least for 2009 house prices. In case you're interested, here is a link to Scarface:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-les-paul-standard-burst-1960-serial-07615/4491678  

I can understand someone taking issue to this but I'll be completely honest, I don't let things like that bother me one bit. if it feels right, plays great, sounds great I turn a blind eye to minor cosmetic blemishes. I take care of my guitars but I use them. a lot. and wear & tear happens. dings and dents are going to happen. when I got my Firebird, brand new it had a crescent moon shaped ding by one of the volume knobs. I thought "perfect ! pre-dinged. now I won't get upset when I put one on there". 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I can understand someone taking issue to this but I'll be completely honest, I don't let things like that bother me one bit. if it feels right, plays great, sounds great I turn a blind eye to minor cosmetic blemishes. I take care of my guitars but I use them. a lot. and wear & tear happens. dings and dents are going to happen. when I got my Firebird, brand new it had a crescent moon shaped ding by one of the volume knobs. I thought "perfect ! pre-dinged. now I won't get upset when I put one on there". 

So you would not mind a few small dents in your car doors, stone chips on the bonnet and scuffed alloy wheels when you collect your brand new $70k car from the dealership? After all, these things will inevitably happen over time.

Edited by sunking101

6 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

So you would not mind a few small dents in your car doors, stone chips on the bonnet and scuffed alloy wheels when you collect your brand new $70k car from the dealership? After all, these things will inevitably happen over time.

Well, it just depends.  You're not really comparing apples to apples.  You're describing glaring flaws visible in the vehicles normal dress.  It's not really the same as something that is not.  Most people do leave the p-g on so it really doesn't matter. 

I have mixed feelings about it.  I think it's kind of sloppy work and shouldn't happen , but if I had a guitar with that flaw, and it was otherwise good, I'd keep it.

38 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

I'm sorry. I thought we were talking about a ding underneath a pickguard of a $2000 guitar. not dents and chips on a $70,000 vehicle. I should have paid closer attention to the post when I read it. 

thats a ridiculous comparison. 

• Upvote 2

When I bought a 2018 LP Classic goldtop, it too had a very noticeable ding underneath the PG as we are talking about.  I am on the side of turning it in and exchanging it while you can.  I mean, you paid brand new for something that isn't the price of a car, but come on, who has $2k to blow these days...  So I did just that.  Exchanged it and got one that wasn't scratched.  Problem solved! 

Now...  If I bought one used and had this flaw, wouldn't bother me that much.  Luckily, I buy used gear a vast majority of the time...  I expect stuff to be worn in places. 

Bottom line, if I spend over $1k for a guitar and something as trivial as a screwed up nut to obvious dings in a fine finish, it's going back.  I mean, I don't have to spend Gibson money to get a guitar that will play as good or better than a Gibson.  Gibson buyers buy the headstock, the flamed maple, bling binding...  Come on now, it's a status symbol in the guitar world in many ways.  I get it that they are great sounding, but to claim nothing can beat a Gibson is lunacy.  Not bashing Gibson as I have 7 of them for crying out loud, but then again, I've been playing music for nearly 30 years. 

22 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I'm sorry. I thought we were talking about a ding underneath a pickguard of a $2000 guitar. not dents and chips on a $70,000 vehicle. I should have paid closer attention to the post when I read it. 

thats a ridiculous comparison. 

Not at all. A £2000 Gibson Les Paul is a premium, luxury instrument and comparable to a luxury car purchase in this context. We aren't talking about a Squier Affinity Stratocaster which cost £135.

• Like 1

A closer analogy would be buying a car with a rear deck spoiler installed from the factory, removing it, finding a scratch underneath it, and calling it a defect.   The car was meant to have the spoiler on.  The same could be said for guitars that come from the factory with the p-g installed.