Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new 2019 50s Les Paul Standard dent under scratchplate

sunking101

23 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

Not at all. A £2000 Gibson Les Paul is a premium, luxury instrument and comparable to a luxury car purchase in this context. We aren't talking about a Squier Affinity Stratocaster which cost £135.

Like I said I understand why that would bother some people.  I'm just not one of them. and I also stand by my statement that your comparison of a $2,000 guitar & a $70,000 vehicle is silly.  but to answer your question. yes. If I laid out 70 grand for a car I wouldn't like dings & dents on it. 

Edited by Karloff

skimming through some of the other comments, brought to mind just a month ago where a friend of mine bought a new (old stock) Les Paul and a similar situation.  He didn't mention if it had a ding but it bothered him that the Pickguard nut was resting on the body. Gibson should use a thinner nut & shorter screw for that application.  it would certainly be a simple fix for them. 

Edited by Karloff

3 hours ago, sunking101 said:

So you would not mind a few small dents in your car doors, stone chips on the bonnet and scuffed alloy wheels when you collect your brand new $70k car from the dealership? After all, these things will inevitably happen over time.

A catalogue of pre-arranged damage meted out on a car? You are obviously describing a 'Road-Worn' Fender...

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pippy said:

A catalogue of pre-arranged damage meted out on a car? You are obviously describing a 'Road-Worn' Fender...

Pip.

Yes but apparently dings are inevitable. Lots of people are saying that I shouldn't fuss that my brand new £2k guitar has damage because damage is inevitable and I will do it to my guitar myself over time.

All and I mean ALL cars at some point will have stonechips, minor door dents from discourteous fellow car park users, and scuffed alloy wheels. So if all that is inevitable then why fuss if the car leaves the showroom with that damage? 

Not entirely true;

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/delivery-mileage-mclaren-f1-emerges-japanese-time-capsule

Anyhow; the 'ding' isn't a mistake. It's put there because it's "Historically Accurate". All '58 - '60 'bursts have them. It's how they are supposed to be.

Did you not know that?.........:-k.........

A fortnight ago when you started talking about this situation it was suggested that you take the case of being sold 'Damaged Goods' up more seriously with the dealership. Have you done that yet? If so then please tell us how you got on. If not then please tell us how you get on. Because bleating away like a pissed-off sheep here is not going to get you anywhere.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, pippy said:

Not entirely true;

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/delivery-mileage-mclaren-f1-emerges-japanese-time-capsule

Anyhow; the 'ding' isn't a mistake. It's put there because it's "Historically Accurate". All '58 - '60 'bursts have them. It's how they are supposed to be.

Did you not know that?.........:-k.........

A fortnight ago when you started talking about this situation it was suggested that you take the case of being sold 'Damaged Goods' up more seriously with the dealership. Have you done that yet? If so then please tell us how you got on. If not then please tell us how you get on. Because bleating away like a pissed-off sheep here is not going to get you anywhere.

Pip.

The thread kinda petered out but someone brought it back to life again. Beyond my initial complaint, nah, I didn't take it further. I've had a lot on with a family member's health problems so this took a backseat. It's a shame because it has put a dampener on an expensive purchase. 

7 hours ago, sunking101 said:

The thread kinda petered out but someone brought it back to life again. Beyond my initial complaint, nah, I didn't take it further. I've had a lot on with a family member's health problems so this took a backseat. It's a shame because it has put a dampener on an expensive purchase. 

This flaw is something that you resent, and clearly that is unlikely to change. I suggest you do something about it now, else you are going to nurse this resentment for the duration of owning the guitar. That's an unhappy prospect. I know because I have a similar enduring attitude to an imperfect PRS guitar. 

Pip's right about the complaining thing. You have a legitimate issue. Why not just get it sorted and have done with it? 

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

This flaw is something that you resent, and clearly that is unlikely to change. I suggest you do something about it now, else you are going to nurse this resentment for the duration of owning the guitar. That's an unhappy prospect. I know because I have a similar enduring attitude to an imperfect PRS guitar. 

Pip's right about the complaining thing. You have a legitimate issue. Why not just get it sorted and have done with it? 

I've owned the guitar a month now and am past any period of swapping it. I cokplained in the first 30 days and was told it wasn't a problem they were prepared to fix, so I don't see how I'll get anywhere now.

Well door ding or hood scratch is a far cry from a nut mark under a pick guard. 

As stated, it's like seeing blemish under a spoiler or behind a mud flap on a new car.

That said.

Nitro is nice to look at and bad for a surface cause its soft.

Don't wear mosquitoe repellent playing your Gibson outdoors,  It will haze the surface. 

Opps, so much for playing outdoors 

That said, the nick is an easy fix for a good guitar tech.

A drop of nitro on the spot will meld with the surface and cover the spot.

Then use a smaller length of the screw

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Finishes_and_Solvents/ColorTone_Spraying_Lacquer/ColorTone_Nitrocellulose_Guitar_Lacquer.html

3 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

Well door ding or hood scratch is a far cry from a nut mark under a pick guard. 

As stated, it's like seeing blemish under a spoiler or behind a mud flap on a new car.

That said.

Nitro is nice to look at and bad for a surface cause its soft.

Don't wear mosquitoe repellent playing your Gibson outdoors,  It will haze the surface. 

Opps, so much for playing outdoors 

That said, the nick is an easy fix for a good guitar tech.

A drop of nitro on the spot will meld with the surface and cover the spot.

Then use a smaller length of the screw

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Finishes_and_Solvents/ColorTone_Spraying_Lacquer/ColorTone_Nitrocellulose_Guitar_Lacquer.html

I'm a pickguard off kinda guy but would leave a spoiler on my car...

18 hours ago, sunking101 said:

...Lots of people are saying that I shouldn't fuss that my brand new £2k guitar has damage because damage is inevitable and I will do it to my guitar myself over time...

On the more general subject of under-guard areas and what might be lurking therein - and just FWIW...

In the summer of 2008 I bought a mint-condition 1995 R0. It was custom-detailed at the Custom Shop by a player/collector and had been kept in a glass display case until he traded it in. When I got it there wasn't a mark on it. After a while - around 8 months - I noticed what appeared to be some lacquer checking in the Vol / Tone knob area. Curious as to what was going on I had a really good look all over the guitar and this was what I saw underneath its pickguard;

Checking-after-8-months.jpg

Ten years on the checking is much more pronounced but seems to have pretty much stabilised as there has been very little change - if any - over the last five years or so. The curious thing is that my 4 LPs were all made within a 4 year timeframe of '91 to '95; they are all kept in exactly the same room under exactly the same conditions yet the R0 is the only one which has checked.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Common problem, my store has 2 Les Paul Standard50s and they BOTH have a big dent under the pickguard.  
Gibson mounts it onto an expensive guitar with the screw touching the body.  I don't understand they can't do that right...
But is it really fixed as of end of may as big bill stated?  

15 minutes ago, JVC said:

Common problem, my store has 2 Les Paul Standard50s and they BOTH have a big dent under the pickguard.  
Gibson mounts it onto an expensive guitar with the screw touching the body.  I don't understand they can't do that right...
But is it really fixed as of end of may as big bill stated?  

It hasn't been fixed in decades so I rather doubt it.

• 6 months later...

I recently purchased a  late 2019 (December) 60's LP Standard and it appears that Gibson is now putting a small piece of felt between the nut and the maple top. The tolerances are so tight that this small addition of a 1/8" thick felt bumper has changed the angle of the pickguard bracket inhibiting it from sitting squarely against the side of the guitar at the binding. Another thing that drove me crazy was that the bracket screw was drilled in crooked and not seating flush in the bracket. I understand that the Standards do not have the attention to detail of the Customs but come on now guys...

Wow, I did not realize this is a thing! I've got a Sheraton II bought used and a Gretsch 5622T bought new that I've had the pick guards off with no signs of marks from the screws. I also have a 2014 LP Classic bought new and a 2017 LP Classic LE bought used. I've not had the scratchplates off either of those.

Now I feel I'm going to have to look under there and do something to prevent any future damage.

I wonder if the guitars aren't leaving the factory problem free and acquire the damage at the hands of the technicians at the store when they perform a set up.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, Big Bill said:

I already put a mar on mine and I'm pissed. Goes to so you... oh well. Even Britney Spears gets pimples on her butt.

Nope its pristine. I used it as a pillow last night.

Send it back if you can and if you are that upset about it, Bono was posted now it all over but the crying, cause we had to see Bono again. He's f-ing scary. I'm gonna go has him for Halloween this year.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper