Gibson Brands Forums

My new 2019 Gibson Explorer

thecrunge

I recently purchased my first Gobson, a 2019 Gibson Explorer Antique Natural. I am mostly a Jackson guy. But I have a few other popular and cheapo brands. I always wanted a real Explorer and finally got it.

I absolutely love how it looks, how it feels, how it plays, and how it sounds.But I do have one issue with it. It does not stay in tune that great. It's not horrible. It is mostly after a couple songs that the g,b, and high e go a little out. I've read that this is somewhat common on Gibson guitars. It's not that big of a deal for me.  So I am going to use this issue to upgrade my tuners to locking tuners. I definetely  don't want to be drilling holes for the new tuners. So does anybody know of any locking tuners that can be "dropped in" without drilling? Thanks.

GibEx.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Wmachine said:

You do know how to properly string a guitar?  And to stretch new strings?  Check the nut for binding?

Should not have a problem staying in tune.

No offense,  but I have been playing guitar for 30 years. I have owned many guitars, and still do. So your question is a little insulting. 

So if you can answer my question, please do.

Locking tuners wont help the stability much.. Its probably binding at  the nut.. That's the usual suspect...  Other than that, check the neck straightness/relief and that the trussrod nut is not loose...

Edited by Rabs

I like locking tuners and have them on most of my electrics.  I'd put them on whether I was having problems or not.

Unless it's extreme, which it sounds like it's not, I usually ignore little things for the first year or so. I think it takes a little while for new guitars to settle in.

BTW, love that model and finish. What pickups are on it?  Most of my friends seem to be swapping out these new Burstbuckers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

I like locking tuners and have them on most of my electrics.  I'd put them on whether I was having problems or not.

Unless it's extreme, which it sounds like it's not, I usually ignore little things for the first year or so. I think it takes a little while for new guitars to settle in.

BTW, love that model and finish. What pickups are on it?  Most of my friends seem to be swapping out these new Burstbuckers.

It came with  Burstbuker 2 and Burstbucker 3 pickups. Possibly the most "percussive" pickups I've ever played, except p90's,  which is great because I do a lot of purcussive stuff on guitar. They both sound super awesome. 

The tuning issue isn't extreme at all. I can definetly live with it. But I would like to upgrade the tuners anyways. Even if it doesn't fix the issue.

Congrats on a nice looking guitar!!  I like locking tuners as well, but your going out of tune issue is probably at the nut.  In spite of the pleck machine used on Gibson USA guitars, the nuts still usually need to be filed a little bit and then the problem goes away.  

Sorry, not sure which locking tuners would fit your guitar without having to drill any new holes.

19 hours ago, thecrunge said:

I recently purchased my first Gobson, a 2019 Gibson Explorer Antique Natural. I am mostly a Jackson guy. But I have a few other popular and cheapo brands. I always wanted a real Explorer and finally got it.

I absolutely love how it looks, how it feels, how it plays, and how it sounds.But I do have one issue with it. It does not stay in tune that great. It's not horrible. It is mostly after a couple songs that the g,b, and high e go a little out. I've read that this is somewhat common on Gibson guitars. It's not that big of a deal for me.  So I am going to use this issue to upgrade my tuners to locking tuners. I definetely  don't want to be drilling holes for the new tuners. So does anybody know of any locking tuners that can be "dropped in" without drilling? Thanks.

They are Grover tuners right?

Then Grover locking tuners..  Should be the same. I cant really tell from your picture but they look like mini tuners... In which case these should fit.. But im not 100% sure

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grover-Mini-Locking-Tuners-6-In-line/173943581338?hash=item287fd86a9a:g:G9cAAOSwJNpdEQPX

2 minutes ago, Rabs said:

They are Grover tuners right?

Then Grover locking tuners..  Should be the same. I cant really tell from your picture but they look like mini tuners... In which case these should fit.. But im not 100% sure

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grover-Mini-Locking-Tuners-6-In-line/173943581338?hash=item287fd86a9a:g:G9cAAOSwJNpdEQPX

Yes they are Grover Mini Rotomatic tuners.

Thank you so much.

16 hours ago, thecrunge said:

No offense,  but I have been playing guitar for 30 years. I have owned many guitars, and still do. So your question is a little insulting. 

So if you can answer my question, please do.

It wouldn't be insulting if you gave us that info to start with.  With no idea of your experience, you start at square one.  You're the one with the problem asking for help, if you don't like the answers, maybe you should be a little more specific and less critical of the answers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wmachine said:

It wouldn't be insulting if you gave us that info to start with.  With no idea of your experience, you start at square one.  You're the one with the problem asking for help, if you don't like the answers, maybe you should be a little more specific and less critical of the answers.

Im sorry I seemed too critical in my response. I'm unfortunately turning into a crotchety old man.

But I try to assume the person asking for help has at least a basic knowledge in the subject. Asking if someone  knows how to string a guitar properly akin to asking if someone knows how to turn the key to start their car. At is it to me. Besides , I didn't ask for help with the tuning issue. Only a suggestion on tuner upgrades.

So I apologize for snapping at you.

I can't help you with the tuners but I DO like that guitar you bought.

They just look great in that finish.

With the Gibsons I usually give the G,B and E slots in the nut a swipe or two with my welding tip file tool.  That seems to help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770084-File-Cleaners-Small/dp/B002ACOXSQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=welding+tip+file&qid=1561840382&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Edited by SteveFord

21 hours ago, thecrunge said:

Im sorry I seemed too critical in my response. I'm unfortunately turning into a crotchety old man.

But I try to assume the person asking for help has at least a basic knowledge in the subject. Asking if someone  knows how to string a guitar properly akin to asking if someone knows how to turn the key to start their car. At is it to me. Besides , I didn't ask for help with the tuning issue. Only a suggestion on tuner upgrades.

So I apologize for snapping at you.

Hey, welcome to the club.  I'm there myself.  Forums are not a perfect form of communication.   Now get off my lawn!

I thought maybe you might be jumping to conclusions going for new tuners as the Grovers are not bad tuners.  You said this is your first Gibson, and they routinely have poorly cut nuts that can bind and cause tuning issues.  

And it wouldn't be hard to find someone who has played all their life that still have tuning issues because they don't string their guitar properly.  From all I can tell, locking tuners will not be any better for stability than a proper stringing.  That said, I like them because I'm not the greatest at stringing and it helps me!

Rock that Explorer!

Edited by Wmachine

47 minutes ago, Wmachine said:

Hey, welcome to the club.  I'm there myself.  Forums are not a perfect form of communication.   Now get off my lawn!

I thought maybe you might be jumping to conclusions going for new tuners as the Grovers are not bad tuners.  You said this is your first Gibson, and they routinely have poorly cut nuts that can bind and cause tuning issues.  

And it wouldn't be hard to find someone who has played all their life that still have tuning issues because they don't string their guitar properly.  From all I can tell, locking tuners will not be any better for stability than a proper stringing.  That said, I like them because I'm not the greatest at stringing and it helps me!

Rock that Explorer!

Thanks

Check out what GROVER has on offer.

that 2019 has BurstBucker 2 & 3 in it? or the ol' Dirty Fingers ? the Explorer's I have gone thru were probably among the guitars that I have owned that stayed in tune best. so I am surprised to hear this.I always figured they stayed in tune excellently because of the GROVER Mini-Rotomatics that are on it from the factory, The Mini-Groverst is what is on that axe, yes?

• Upvote 1

I agree with the nut diagnosis, it is very likely that nut slots may be pinching the strings, particularly on the G B and E strings that have more break angle leading to the tuners. I had this problem on my US Explorer kit (patterned on the Gibson Explorer) that I built with P90's and experimented with a left hand tremolo.. Anyway after widening the slots it was much easier to tune..

ADYBg7a.jpg

Note you may want to try a lubricant on the slots, I like to use graphite...

Edited by mihcmac

On 6/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, thecrunge said:

GibEx.jpg

Congrats..beautiful guitar! Would you mind sharing where you bought it? 

That's a great guitar, I have one identical to it but mine's a 2018. Love the Burstbucker 2 & 3 pickups too.

My Explorer had exactly the same problem as you do. I opened up the nut slots a tiny, tiny bit on the upper three strings and polished all the nut slots. That cured my tuning problem. I also put a Faber aged nickel locking bridge and tailpiece on it and it's very very stable. Stays in tune all night.

My test for nut slots is to get the strings in tune, then press the string sharp behind the nut, between the nut and tuners. I keep polishing the nut slots until the string comes back into tune by itself. Or close to it...then a dab of nut lube makes it perfect. This method gets all my guitars (even Strats with non-locking tuners) to stay in tune very well.

Good luck with the project, it'll be well worth it.

BTW, Stewart-McDonald sells spools of various sized abrasive cord that's perfect for fixing funky nuts. It's a great tool that every guitarist should have.

Edited by premiumplus
  • Upvote 1

I'm an old curmudgeon too, but I still rock Explorers and V's!

Here's a link to the abrasive cord I was talking about. There are videos at the site about working on nuts that's real helpful.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/Mitchell_Abrasive_Cord.html

Not connected with them but this is a great product.

7 hours ago, premiumplus said:

I'm an old curmudgeon too, but I still rock Explorers and V's!

Here's a link to the abrasive cord I was talking about. There are videos at the site about working on nuts that's real helpful.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/Mitchell_Abrasive_Cord.html

Not connected with them but this is a great product.

That is very interesting indeed.

I love pointy guitars. I always did. I have many Jackson guitars and they are dangerouse in the wrong hands lol. Very pointy.

V's are my favorite. I may get a Gibson V to match my Explorer.