Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro - cracked finish

andrew382

Is it possible that the finish of my now 5 year old Gibson would have got cracked as a result of an impact like a mic stand or a beer bottle or is it just aging? I also have an ES 339 and I remember a beer bottle hitting my other Gibson too but it didn't get damaged. The places where the bare wood can be seen are just on the upper edge of the body of the guitar, so the edge facing the hand not the belly of the player which leads me to the conclusion this couldn't have happened so precisely. I mean a non-intended impact is random. The instrument would have gotten damaged in other places not just on the edge moreover on just one of the edges.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I find your post confusing. Pictures would help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oxx3YLn8ZNyzVA8x-V7JTvOZOvcPYIFA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TnjMclVeUiWiRIoxkxmXekCR3tIWtjM6

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Dzdxq10uUxjuyWRA-atMRCD5bMfqxH6

The 3rd one is barely visible. As if it had just begun to crack.

40 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

At first I thought you meant to remove them. Then I twigged on! 

Relicing = Creative Destruction. A weird concept if there ever was one.

Yeah, I just don't get it. Why pay thousands of dollars on a guitar that somebody beats the living shitz out of. I prefer my own mojo, I know the bumps and bruises are real!

3 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Yeah, I just don't get it. Why pay thousands of dollars on a guitar that somebody beats the living shitz out of. I prefer my own mojo, I know the bumps and bruises are real!

put me in the "I don't get it" line too...  I don't mind the wear and tear, aging marks, but I'd rather be the one putting them there.

I think the only thing that matters is what is important in the long run.  Too many people get wrapped up in what is in front of their nose and ignore what really matters in the long run.  Way down the road when you look at a nick/mar/crack, would you think "oh that (still) bothers me because I didn't put it there", or "oh that's fine because I put it there"? 

Or would you do what I pretty much do, and forget it is even there?  If so, what's all the fuss about?

Now if you look at it way down the road and think "OMG!!", then sorry, I can't help you.